Thread: Model 572 BDL Smooth Bore 22lr!

Default Model 572 BDL Smooth Bore 22lr!

I about thought this was a joke, but turns out its a real production gun from remington. This is probably one of those guns you would have wished you bought when the value tripples in a couple of years. Might have to shell out the 500 bones and take a bet!
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...mooth_bore.asp

Smooth bore 22's have been around a long time.Remington and Winchester both made them in bolt actions as well as other outfits. I've had a few Tom Mix models in the past.These were sold for folks that wanted to trick shoot like the trick shooters of past.When I was selling alot of guns the smooth bores were slow to move.

I saw my first smooth bore just a few months ago, Heck,I didn't even know they existed. Anyways,it belongs to a friend and is a Winchester bolt action. He/we knew nothing about it except that he couldn't hit anything with it when he tried sighting it in with .22lr's. When I checked it out I saw no rifling(!?) but did see a short choke tube like contraption almost flush with the end of the muzzle. When got to do some research I found out these rifles indeed came with,if I remember correctly, two interchangable threaded inserts w/tool. One smooth and one w/rifling. I haven't had a chance to check out my friends rifle as he lives away but bet his has the smooth one and I know he doesn't have another. Sooo,if anyone comes across one of these rifles and is interested in buying it just make sure it comes with both(?)inserts and tool.

til later

Savage still lists a smooth bore 22LR!

Marlin made a 22MAG Garden Gun SB in the past.

The best were the Routledge bore Remingtons 514 and the pump;
    Mossberg made SB and a mini skeet system call MOSS Skeet (get it?) , pretty cool, we had one at scout camp in the 60's..

I have a 580 SB as well..
    I have not actually shot anything with them, but my buddy hunts dragonflies with one...(he doesn't have cable or anything)...LOL. I took care of the field mice with a pellet gun, but had the 22 shot in reserve.

I just found some WW shot shells in Juneau at Rayco, $10/box. CTD lists them for $95/500..so they are not cheap

Probably more than you wanted to know, good stuff though!

Not really EVERYTHING there I wanted to know. How many dragonflies does it take to make a mess? Bet they're a B to dress out!

til later

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I about thought this was a joke, but turns out its a real production gun from remington. This is probably one of those guns you would have wished you bought when the value tripples in a couple of years. Might have to shell out the 500 bones and take a bet!
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...mooth_bore.asp
    Remington's don't hold their resale value well, even somewhat hard-to-find models. The market is flooded with them.

Yes lots of Remmies about.

Models I have noticed for value retention:

the re release of the 572 above:
    these models MSRP was a bit over $4 and auction sites seem to gather about $8 for them

a Rem 720 in 257 Roberts fetches a fair price

The Routledge smooth bores seem to be in demand