Thread: recoil on the SAKO 85 Finnlight

Default recoil on the SAKO 85 Finnlight

Can anyone comment on the recoil of a sako finnlight particularly in .300 win mag caliber?

Default Try this...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

The Chuck Hawks website includes a couple of free articles about recoil.
    The table above can be found through Google.

The tradeoffs; more caliber = more kick, and more rifle weight = less recoil are key. I know far, far less about guns than most guys on these forums, but as I recall Hawks basically calls 15, or max 20 ft-lbs the threshold for tolerable recoil and argues that an 8 pound rifle is a reasonable minimum weight for larger rounds. In AK because most rifle time is spent carrying instead of shooting the rifle, the market favors lighter, synthetic stock, stainless barrel rifles.

New to bolt action hunting rifles this year, I found wide variation in folk's tolerance for recoil. I ended up shooting a .325WSM and with a few tips from Mike Strahan and others, learned that if I just set up on the rifle correctly each time, recoil isn't an issue.

If you explore muzzle brakes, which are apparently effective, consider factoring in long-term hearing conservation.

Good luck.

Default Recoil 300wsm Sako Finnlight 85

I have a model 85 Finnlight in a 300 WSM. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and really enjoy shooting that rifle (it fits me well at 6'3" and 215 lbs). I shoot 10-20 rounds at any given range session. My wife, 5'7" medium build, does not like shooting that rifle-it doesn't fit well and the recoil it too stiff. It is a joy to carry at about 7.5 lbs loaded with scope and sling. Right now I shoot 200 gr. Accubonds through it as an all purpose load (2800 FPS MV) and the recoil is noticeable but not uncomfortable for me.

I had a Model 75 Finnlight 300WSM which I sold to my father. That stock design seemed to handle recoil better than the M85.

Hope this helps.

DS

I just shot a few 430gr Buffalo bores in my Ruger #3 and it wasn't that bad,felt worst.So to me the Sako won't kick at all at least the one I had in 7mag didn't.Recoil is just to different in folks to tell anything without popping a cap yourself.

I have an 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM. I put a slip on recoil pad on the range and can shoot it all day. I don't feel it shooting at game in the field.

Montanarifleman,
    What kind of recoil pad do you use? I assume you do not have a muzzle break on your Sako?

Quote Originally Posted by jager63 View Post
    Montanarifleman,
    What kind of recoil pad do you use? I assume you do not have a muzzle break on your Sako?
    Nope, I don't care for muzzle breakes. The slip on recoil pad I use is an old one I used for shooting 3" mag 12 gauge shells out my single shot H&R 30" goose gun. Without that slip on pad, firing that shotgun with those shells was absolutley unbearable. There are several companies that make slip on recoil pads, including Limbsaver.

Interestingly enough, I shot a cow elk earlier today with my Finnlight 300 WSM at about 200 yds holding off my knee, with factory stock and pad. I didn'y notice any recoil except the barrel jumping up a little. I have shot at game several times this year with this rifle, including 3 times in the prone position and no noticable felt recoil.

On the bench without some sort of compensation would be a different story. It does kick, but I have yet to fire it on the bench without a slip on pad.

Hope this helps and good shooting.