Thread: how do you tell the difference between?

Default how do you tell the difference between?

How do tou tell the defreance between a full grown moose and one in its second year? This question came up and is vital to future hunts.

How do you tell the difference between a women and a young girl.

Terry

Default what is your point?

moose in their second year are often spikes or forks.
    i would suggest that if you are writing a proposal that takes age into account instead of antler configuration that it won't pass.
    just guessing though.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

No, it was meant as to how do you tell a young cow(calf ) from a grown cow if they have been seperated.

Default The only way I can think of

would be to run up to the suspect animal, throw it to the ground and make it bawl.
    If the cow comes and stomps you, it is a calf.
    Seriously you are just looking at a size difference and that is going to vary between animals - I would say impossible to judge.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

The reason I threw this out there is because if the cow hunt contiues, then most likely the calfs will be fair game also. There are two ways to tell them apart, so all you hunter's out there, tell us what they are. What are the signs of a calf moose?

Well, if the moose is in its first year of life, size is obvious. If someone can't notice that then they obviously haven't been doing a lot of moose hunting, nor seen a lot of moose in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    would be to run up to the suspect animal, throw it to the ground and make it bawl.
    If the cow comes and stomps you, it is a calf.
    Seriously you are just looking at a size difference and that is going to vary between animals - I would say impossible to judge.
    Mike
    Ha ha ha. thats funny.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Thank's for trying Matt, No, the nose is alot shorter on a moose under 2, and they also have a light mark on thier shoulder/ shoulder's about the size of a basket ball. The shoulder mark was explained to me from a Bio. I've never really looked at it my self being as I don't cow hunt, but the next time I see a cow and calf together I'm going to. The nose is pretty obvious.

The reason I bring this up is a couple from Haines came up and he shot the cow and apperantly she shot a calf. They turned in the jaw bones and the troopers got involved. Its an ongoing thing right now, but the judge is on the defendent's side because the reg's don't have anything in them about this subject. They said they shot them in defferant locations.

So if this whole thing stand's up in court, then when and where they have a cow hunt, it would also envolve that calves.

I just waited untill the herd bull proved which one was a "lady". Good enough for him good enough for me!