Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of "THOSE" days!

Default One of "THOSE" days!

Have you ever had one of those days where you wonder why you even got out of bed? It never fails. When my husband heads to the slope everything seems to fall apart.
    I got ready to check the trap line this morning, which is what I do when he's gone. I got all the way out to where I was going (about 3 miles from home) and noticed I had a flat tire. I opened up my pack and pulled out the tire pump, only to find the latch on the nozzle had broke somewhere along the way. Nice! So I limped back home, slowly......
    I got home and decided to try to change the tire by myself. It had come off the rim....Yea, ok...that didn't go over so well since I seem to have a husband who likes to make sure the tires don't fall off (I couldnt even get them to budge!). So I scrapped that idea....I called hubby, he called his dad who said he would come help me with the tire. So while waiting, I decide to plow the driveway. I start up the other 4 wheeler, warmed her up, hopped on, and went to raise the plow. Nothing. No up, no down. ARGH! By this point I was already frustrated. I get off the machine and wiggled wires, tapped the wench, wiggled more wires and after about 15 minutes, Walla! I found a lose wire near the handle bars. We have contact! It works!!! YEA!! So I get the driveway plowed...here comes father in law. He takes the tire off and I take it down to the shop. I hand the tire to the guys and tell em to fix it. They come back out about 10 minutes later to inform me I had a pebble by the stem causing a slow leak. Ok, so the tire is fixed, I asked what I owed them and he says No charge...Have a good day! (I could just see the smirk in his comment, you know that kind of smirk you get when someone thinks you have lost your mind?).....I'd like to think he just felt sorry for me

......BUT, things were looking up!

I get home, get the tire on and proceed on down the line. Nothing exciting until I came upon our last set. Here was the largest and most beautiful fox I had ever seen! Now, keep in mind, in all my years trapping this was going to be my first dispatch (I had my .22 but I didn't want to put a hole in him). I watched my dad and hubby quickly and humanely dispatch animals over the years and I was convinced I could do it without putting a hole in him. I took my handy stick with a "Y" in it that my darling husband made for me before he left, and walked up to him. I got ahold of his head, and kneeled down on him until he was no longer breathing. My heart was pounding, I had never done this on my own! My fear was not kneeling on him long enough and have him come alive while tied down by bungy cords!!! It felt as though I was there forever!...When I was convinced he was gone, I loaded him up, called hubby and headed home.
    So I persevered! The day didn't whoop my butt after all. I have forgotten all my woes and happy to have a fur I can call my "own"......

I now need dinner and a long nap........!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DebFoxDec18_2008.jpg  
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

very nice hard work pays off ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Way to go Deb! I've had my last set turn my day from a bad one to a good one a few times. I'm sure the Big Man is proud.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thank you Ret and Ted! The big man is sitting in Prudhoe just dieing to get back to his room to see the photos.... I can only hope this breaks my bad luck streak. It never fails, if I let him check it on his own he always brings something home, when I go on my own, I'm almost always empty handed except for the one or two rabbits the nephews had snared...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default last two checks

My last two checks my last trap set i checked made my day both times.

Thumbs up

Great job! Perseverance goes a long ways sometimes.

Thanks guys! What else would I have done, I could have given up, came inside and sat in front of AODD all day........Oh Im so glad I decided to go back out!

Default Good

Nice job! Hey the girl friends name is Deb too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

feel your pain deb... got up 5 am went to town to train FPD... got all done headed home 740 am ... oil pump quit on truck seized moter. oh yeah the other two are still broke in the yard...waiting for appointment...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Dave thanks! Deb...eh? Good job! Deb's are usually a unique breed.

Ha, ha Vince! I know the feeling. Although I'm pretty proud of myself. I'd like to think I'm a tough cookie, but there are just somethings (like mechanical stuff) I know nothing about! I guess I'm blessed with a level head....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    feel your pain deb... got up 5 am went to town to train FPD... got all done headed home 740 am ... oil pump quit on truck seized moter. oh yeah the other two are still broke in the yard...waiting for appointment...

Default Nice job!

Great job Huntress! Glad your last set was what it was!

Default If it wasnt for our last set...

last weekend, we may have pulled out. Instead, we laid out even more steel, will see what happens next check. My first fox I snared was alive when I showed up, I dispatched the same way as you and road him on my lap back to town on my snogo. Well he woke up when I got home, not good, but we dispatched him quickly. AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Fox waking up

WOW, surprise, surprise. Best to shot the little 22 short and be safe. Merry Christmas.

Huntress,
    Your hubby is so lucky as to have such an AWESOME wife. Glad to hear everything worked out for you!!

AH, don't believe for a minute that didn't cross my mind! I have heard many stories like this. One person told me about one coming back to life in his backpack. I had plenty of time though, when I saw him I had to go back to the 4 wheeler to get the stick. I dispatched him but couldn't get the snare free from the tree. So I had to go back to the 4 wheeler again to get the wire cutters. He had plenty of time to do his thing before I loaded him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    last weekend, we may have pulled out. Instead, we laid out even more steel, will see what happens next check. My first fox I snared was alive when I showed up, I dispatched the same way as you and road him on my lap back to town on my snogo. Well he woke up when I got home, not good, but we dispatched him quickly. AH

hotcity, Thank you! I would like to think I'm pretty lucky to have such a wonderful man in my life. It takes a whole lot of patience to put up with me some days....! lol......

I remember an old trapper up here told me a story about a cat that came back to life while he was in the air. He said he had a few interesting minutes before he could find a place to land

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I get off the machine and wiggled wires, tapped the winch, wiggled more wires.

Fixed it for ya . Surprised no one was all over that!

Seriously, sweet deal!! Glad you got the fox. Great pic also!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

any one remember that ray Stevens song " Mississippi Squirrel revival"? where the kid took one into the church.....

well few years back it was just my youngest and i at home.... the cat drug one in unknown to me, until the Lil one age 3 started squealing..... the dog started barking and the cat took off across my desk...

the little bugger was up and hissing like an ol ally cat ready for war. so i did the house wife thing and grabbed the broom first..

now i have always been in a log home... so walls are no problem for these guys to run around on.

after a few laps around the house, minus a few picture's off the wall and the strip light by the door he dissapeared.....by this time the dog is wound up solid going over the backs of couches tipping chairs. the kids is screaming with all get out and the cat is sitting in the middle of the floor, glaring at me,

finally the dog locates this squirrel in the wood box. by now i have gloves on and a few useful throws of the wood pile sufficiently stuns him for me to get him out side...

needless to say it was the ONE time in my life i really considered shooting something IN THE HOUSE....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hilarious Hunt, Thanks! Hey, I could have been tapping on "myself"....lol

That's probably part of the reason I'm not a mod, I graduated from North Pole (good excuse anyway!).....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    [/center]

Fixed it for ya . Surprised no one was all over that!

Seriously, sweet deal!! Glad you got the fox. Great pic also!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast