Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 117

Thread: To the trapper setting lines E of the Hwy at Turnagain Pass

  1. #1

    Default To the trapper setting lines E of the Hwy at Turnagain Pass

    To the trapper setting lines E of the Hwy at Turnagain Pass,

    This is not meant to be a troll and I do not wish to start an argument. I will post this and not return to read this forum / thread again.

    There is a trapper setting traps next the ski trails in Turnagain Pass. According to numerous accounts he is setting them within 50 feet of the parking lot and along trails leading to very popular ski areas.

    The placement of these traps along a ski popular corridor will result in confrontation and traps will be tampered with. The trail he has set the traps next to see sometimes as many as 50 skiers on a sunny weekend day and will continue to see dozens of skiers every week until the snow melts in May. With this amount of users - many of them with pets - a conflict is unavoidable.

    I know that the trapper is legally within right to set these traps; however many skiers are very angry about the trap placement and have been vocally adamant in that they will tamper with traps if they see them. I realize this is against the law -- but when you have 50 skiers a day walking by a set of traps, someone will inevitable tamper with them.

    A very simple solution to avoiding conflicts is to not set traps next to a popular winter recreation trail. Driving through Turnagain Pass on a sunny Saturday afternoon will give you an idea of where skiers are going. Avoiding the parking lots that have dozens of cars, people and dogs will go a long ways towards limiting confrontation and conflict.

    Thanks,

    A concerned skier.

    FYI - The trailhead I'm referring to is the obvious parking lot seen here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...31843&t=h&z=15

  2. #2
    Member Arctic Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default Well....

    I guess as a trapper that traps Turnagain Pass and other places along the road system, I avoid the "corridor" this skier is referring to like the plague. The last thing I need is skiers trampling on my sets. I will say that the pullout I trap is frequented by skiers, but they go one direction and My son and I go another so we have never had any problems. We simply head straight into the thick stuff and will usually not emerge from it till hours later. We have never seen another track other than ours and the occasional moose and sometimes even critter tracks. Now if a skier chooses to use my well worn trail as his next ski trail and decides to mess with our sets, then it would not be good thing. We have every right as they to use the area. AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

  3. #3
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Wow, for someone who stated.....

    Quote Originally Posted by wfinley View Post
    This is not meant to be a troll and I do not wish to start an argument. I will post this and not return to read this forum / thread again.
    You sure are viewing this thread a bunch!......
    wfinley Member

    Last Activity: 4 Minutes Ago
    Current Activity: Viewing Thread To the trapper setting lines E of the Hwy at Turnagain Pass
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Thumbs up although I don't trap

    yet, I as an outdoorsman and hunter who has friends that trap, thankyou for showing your concern for both the skiers AND the trapper. Unfortunately in todays society there are few like you who actually try all(I hope)avenues to resolve a possible conflict before it arises. I applaud you for such, and even though you say you're not going to revisit this thread - rep point added.



    Tom

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    83

    Post It was already getting around...

    I believe this was already starting to spread like wild fire. I received an e-amil earlier today about this situation. It sounded like trappers and trail users a like were trying to find him/her.

    Lets pray it can be respectfully resolved for all parties involved. We do not need to bash on anyone. We just need to spread some useful information and hope they make the right choice(s).

    Best of the outdoors!
    AK4Life

  6. #6
    Member Arctic Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default I agree....

    If this can be resolved peacefully without impeding on anyones, skiers OR trappers rights, than great. We are simply enjoying the outdoors in our own way, some like to ski for the excercise and we like to hike deep into the woods for ours. Plus I get to spend some quality time with my oldest boy in the outdoors and catch a few furry little critters too!!!



    If you happen to run into my boy and I out there, don't be haters and say hi!!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

  7. #7

    Default

    Touché in regards to my lurking!

    I just wanted to post a follow up saying that in my 10 years of skiing I have never heard of trapper / skier conflicts in Turnagain Pass. Likewise I know of no skier who would intentionally seek out a trapline off the beaten path just to destroy the traps. Most skiers I know (myself include) do not agree with trapping - but we respect your right to do so.

    In this case perhaps the trapper is unaware of the high traffic this area receives - or perhaps he just doesn't care. Whatever his reason - if a trap kills or injures someone's pet, or if a skier destroys a trap just to make a point - then it is everyone's loss.

  8. #8
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wfinley View Post
    Touché in regards to my lurking!
    Just an observation......

    Maybe someone needs to get a copy of the Sharing Alaskan Trails DVD and post it at one of the spots on a tree where you know the trapper is? That might be effective?

    http://www.alaskatrappers.org/index.html
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bethel
    Posts
    432

    Default a few comments

    The thing that is great about this, is the anti's don't even have to vote us out of our trapping rights. All they have to do is start taking over trails that have been trapped in the past.

    WHen skiers start taking trails suddenly the trappers are suppose to pull out or move their sets.

    Anti's have this figured out guys, Look at Homeradam this year. He had been trapping the area for years, this year a skier decided to go in there and what did people on here tell him to do, MOVE to somewhere else.

    Keep it up guys, one trail at a time they are going to take away our heritage and our rights. They won't even have to vote it unlawful. THey just have to start skiing or using the trappers trails and people bow down telling the trapper to move. What a joke.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    421

    Default Leave em alone

    I don't see why skiers or other people that don't care for the location he is trapping in feel that they should tamper with his gear. Sure they have concerns, but if what he is doing is legal then they should also be legal in their actions. If this means they have to watch there pets more carefully or put them on a leash that thats what they should do. If they feel it is a pain in the arse to ski with their dog on the leash then leave it home, and exercise it later when it is more convienent. I know that trappers are a small amount of the population that uses an area but because it ruffles people's feathers he shouldn't have to stop unless where he has traps are illegal.

  11. #11
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I don't see why skiers or other people that don't care for the location he is trapping in feel that they should tamper with his gear. Sure they have concerns, but if what he is doing is legal then they should also be legal in their actions. If this means they have to watch there pets more carefully or put them on a leash that thats what they should do. If they feel it is a pain in the arse to ski with their dog on the leash then leave it home, and exercise it later when it is more convienent. I know that trappers are a small amount of the population that uses an area but because it ruffles people's feathers he shouldn't have to stop unless where he has traps are illegal.

    I support the right to trap, but your post is inflammatory to folks who don't. People who choose to run their dogs without a leash in country that requires knowledge of avalanche probability are there for their own reasons. Discrediting their reasonings for being there simply because they aren't there to kill something doesn't discredit their intent on sharing a positive experience. If you want to make a leash law for the state then petition the powers that be. I personally prefer a society that allows state and Federally owned land to fall under control of a body that isn't focused solely on trapping. Trapping is one form of recreation. Majority rules in this case.

    If you are trapping as a major part of your lifestyle and livelihood, trap away. If you live in Anchorage and earn a salary, please have the decency to trap off the easy trails.

    If you work for it your rewards may increase!. The detrimental impact to non-trappers will definately decrease.

    This is one non-trapper's opinion.

    Good luck on your trap line.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bethel
    Posts
    432

    Default and there ya have it

    If you have a salary and live in the city, go trap somewhere else. Thats the overall attitude. Why don't the skiers find a different area to ski? Wouldn't it be more rewarding for them if they went off the beaten path?

    I think we should close down fishing for residents on the russian river. We should leave the easy area for tourists, and state residents should find somewhere harder to go so its more rewarding for them.

    I sure hope that trapper reads this or hope a trooper is here reading this so that they utilize a trail cam down there in the area to start writing tickets to people who are going to tamper with the traps just because they are there.

    Thanks for posting the intentions of the skiers. Now the troopers have evidence of INTENT. I sure hope its not going to be you William Finley, that gets the ticket for trap tampering.

  13. #13
    Member trapperbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    443

    Default Exclusive use areas for dogs

    These people want exclusive use areas for their dogs. I could catch marten right next to that trail and never catch a dog. You people don't want to share areas you want us out.
    If you know someone is trapping there I suggest you leave your dog home or keep it leashed.
    No person is at risk here. We just keep moving over. You can ski or anything else you want to do next to me if you leave your dog at home and we won't ever know the other is there.You can't even get off the road except in the few areas that you want to claim as yours, they are popular because there is a pull out. I would not set there, however every pullout from Anchorage to Homer is popular to multiple users so if its trapping season and you want to share with other users leave or leash the dog.

  14. #14
    Member aufevermike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    159

    Default

    These people want exclusive use areas for their dogs. I could catch marten right next to that trail and never catch a dog. You people don't want to share areas you want us out.
    If you know someone is trapping there I suggest you leave your dog home or keep it leashed.
    No person is at risk here. We just keep moving over. You can ski or anything else you want to do next to me if you leave your dog at home and we won't ever know the other is there.You can't even get off the road except in the few areas that you want to claim as yours, they are popular because there is a pull out. I would not set there, however every pullout from Anchorage to Homer is popular to multiple users so if its trapping season and you want to share with other users leave or leash the dog


    Come on now TB, let's not forget about harmony here. Can you imagine the news media having a field with this? Let's say you were just trapping marten with a conibear 6 feet on a leaning pole next to a trail. A couple of skiiers ski past your set with a fresh catch still moving in the trap. They would be scarred for life not to mention if they were to get their media friend on a new story to tell. There are pleny places to trap, one does not need to trap next to a trail where people and pets frequnt the area. Why would you open yourself up to ridecule or have your traps stolen and/or tampered with?
    This brings back a memory of mine 2 years ago while I was skiing with my wife and 2 dogs along the Kasiloff river. On the way back from a trip to to the lake I noticed my lab sniffing this one area. Then I heard the yelps and immediate though porcupine. My wife was closer to the dog than I was and discovered that it was a conibear trap instead. Even though my lab is a gentle giant he still wanted to bite me while I removed the trap. Now had I not know about different traps and how they worked I would not have been able to release my dog from a double spring conibear, let alone my wife. Was I angry that a trapper had placed his trap along the river? No! Was I angray that a trapper had a line and didn't courteously place a sign stating so? in a way. Was I upset that the trapper need to set traps right there next to the boat launch? Yes!!! Come on it was obvious that people went there to either fish, hunt, ski, hike, and recreate. this is jst common sense. We trappers don't need this bad publicity.
    I too have never caught someone elses dog. Simply because I don't trap where I might do so or where might enjoy the great outdoors with their pets.
    Just post a sign... if you think that posting a sign will get your traps tampered with or stolen then you probably shouldn't be trapping that close to where people congregate. This is a big area. Make your won trails and sets a little further down the road where the fur is still around. If someone decides to use it and tampers with your traps (and you better not let me catch you doing so)then yes, you have recourse to prosecute.
    Come on people, can't we all jsut get along?
    There is no reason to flame the first poster. In fact I'm glad he posted the way he did, diplotmatically. I comend him for this. He could have said, " to the trapper trapping along the skiier trails in Turnagain pass. Your traps have all been sprung and there is no fur in them, I didn't do it but I did notice it and am politely telling you." Or "To the trapper trapping..........your traps were gathered up a nd put in a big pile in the parking lot, if you huryy you might be able to reclaim them"
    I could go on and on, you get the picture. Why would anyone trap where large amount of people traffic accurs on a regular basis is beyond me. Find you own solitude out there. There is plenty to be had away from the masses.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default One more point...

    Fishermann/T-Bob I second that......

    Could someone please name somewhere it is illegal to ski??? The skiers have all of the area they want. Off the top of my head I can think of a dozen places illegal to trap. Lets look at this the other way around. How about we start catering to the trappers and making it illegal to ski in some areas. You think it will fly??? I doubt it....... As trappers we slowly get less and less as they tell us to go farther and farther. I hope the troopers read this post otherwise we will loose another privilege. The skiers choose to go to the areas where there may be traps, nobody is making them. Trappers are not that fortunate. We make due with what is legally open to us and now we are having to give it up.. They say go farther, be tougher, make your own trail. Well I’ll say it right back at them!!!!

  16. #16
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    I gotta agree with TB and Fisherman... I'm not a trapper yet but theres no "illegal place to ski or other recreation" why put the limitations on trappers back?... your dog of a leash in the outdoors is just bait for bigger animals you take that risk why cant you accept that he might get stuck in a conibear? learn emergency trap procedures for kids and pets.. dont tell me I have to move my livelyhood (or family bonding) because for the first time in 5 years you decided to get off your *** **** and excersise

    JMO

    dont take offence it was a "get the point" statement..

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    I too have never caught someone elses dog. Simply because I don't trap where I might do so or where might enjoy the great outdoors with their pets.
    It doesn't matter. Dogs can show up in the most remote spots. If you have a foot hold set, there is no doubt the dog will find it if it's in the area.

    Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    Why would anyone trap where large amount of people traffic accurs on a regular basis is beyond me. Find you own solitude out there. There is plenty to be had away from the masses.
    Well, I do. Some furbearers like red fox are attracted to towns like flies to poo....

    Last year, there were over 400 red fox caught within 5 miles of Bethel. The way I look at it, we are doing the town a favor by setting near urban areas.

  18. #18
    Mark
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    It doesn't matter. Dogs can show up in the most remote spots......
    So can traps. In fact, if we're getting down to "no trapping in the most remote spots because an unleashed dog might show up", I think the true agenda has just been fully revealed and undeniably.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default Places for dogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I personally prefer a society that allows state and Federally owned land to fall under control of a body that isn't focused solely on trapping.
    They are not focused solely on trapping......Thats why there are State Parks and Wildlife Refuge not open to trapping. Take dogs there....

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So can traps. In fact, if we're getting down to "no trapping in the most remote spots because an unleashed dog might show up", I think the true agenda has just been fully revealed and undeniably.

    I'm confused. Are you with me or against me?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •