Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When's the Wasilla High Gun Show?

Question When's the Wasilla High Gun Show?

anybody know?

Default WHS Gunshow

17-18 Jan, 2009 10:00 AM-6:00PM

Enjoy!

Is this one normally worth the drive? I.E. some decent deals on the guns...

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Decent deals HA HA HA or perhaps given the season HO HO HO. Alex

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post

Jon
    This one used to be worth the drive. Last years was pretty bad.
    Our gun shows up here lack in private seller participation beyond trinket and knife sales....

Last year was pretty much a conglomeration of every gun store in the southcentral area, along with their normal prices.

I was hoping that economy wise prices would be great this year, but as you know, gun prices are escalating. Im sure everyone selling stuff will be trying to make a profit off what they bought 6 months ago.

Default rising prices...

the supply and demand market is the only reason why prices have raised. gun companies are flooding the markets with everything they have and selling out through all their inventory.

i agree with you that the gun shows are pretty lame but i just cant stop myself from going to them lol.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

last year it was rather weak.......... fewer sellers than in past years combined with higher prices. I did manage to spend some money, although I didn’t by any guns.......... just some casting and reloading stuff. I also managed to insult at least a half dozen sellers by jokingly brow beating and chastising them over their ridiculously priced guns.

You know………. There is a significant difference between an informed and fair minded seller who knows the value of what he is selling and perhaps pads it a tad to provide for some “haggling” room, and the kind of guy that hasn’t a clue in the world what his stuff is worth and just puts some arbitrary number on it with the hope that some rube will come buy and fork out the requisite cash. Or worse yet, the kind of guy that I like to refer to as the “gouger”……….. similar in personality to those lawyers that love to chase ambulances around, and live to make a buck off of the “sucker”…… not my kind of folk to say the least. Last year seemed to have far more of the latter rather than the former in attendance……….. perhaps this year will be better.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I find at most gun shows 99% of the stuff is expensive, but it can be worth it when you find one of those rare deals.

This gun show is the best one of the year, imo. However, last year it really sucked and I was suprised by that.

I'll be there.

Thanks for the info guys, maybe I'll swing out there to at least look, I'm sure it'll be rediculously expensive, but hey it'sa good way to kill a weekend.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The Wasilla gun show there in the High School, is the bestest, IMO. And, now that I live in the area, its close.

I think that some of those people don't want to sell anything anyway, judging from their prices, and the same old junk, gun show after gun show. Maybe, it makes them feel important.

Then there are the ones who pick up all kinds of brass at the ranges, tumble it, and sell it as Once Fired. Forget that. You can't tell how many times it's been fired.

Another thing that gets to me, is the Used Riflescopes, for prices higher than New Scopes, as if they're somehow better.

I love gun shows though, and I've gotten some good, and some fair deals over the years. It's just that you can never count on it. Also, I can usually get the cast bullets I like from Stoner, or Arnie.

Sometimes I see someone I know too.

I'll be keepin an eye out for Alangaq. What's he look like anyway? I figger the meanest lookin guy there is probably HIM. If he's brow beating and chastising the sellers, I can be almost certain.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Smitty, I am easy to pick out thru a simple process of elimination!
    1 Anybody holding or looking at a composit stocked rifle; aint me
    2 Anybody eye balling the beanie baby section; aint me
    3 Anybody that smells like they just ran a marathon in Alabama in July; aint me (I got runnin water, and use it)
    4 Anybody checking out the high capacity magazines or polymer pistols; aint me.

That should get you narrowed down considerably! Then all you have to look for is a middle aged fat guy with a long hair and a bald spot munching on a polish dog covered with sauerkraut while eyeballing some old lever gun………….. its probably me!

I guess I could make it easy for you and just PM you with my cell number!

Although thoroughly disappointed in this years gun shows, I still had a good time, and anyway you slice it, it is time better spent than sitting on the couch………

I always bring along a copy of Midway USA’s master catalog and a Blue Book of Gun Values because in the heat of the moment I can never remember what everything cost. My rule of thumb for used anything, is 50% of new price. If its priced more than that (excluding guns of course) I keep on moving.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Alangaq:

You can dislike composit stocks, beanie babies, BO, and that other stuff, and STILL look mean.

Watta bout a NEW, Lever Action??

That new Mossberg, Mdl 464.

I haven't seen one yet, but from what I've read about them, they sound great. Nobody seems to be talkin about them though.

I love the gun shows. Even if I don't find a bargain. I've been known to go and buy nuthin.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post

Jon
    It is if you like paying more for used rifles than what a new one costs at Walmart of Sportsman warehouse.
    Last couple of years it has turned into mostly a low class flea market of junk.
    Tennessee

I've been given the job or organizing the gunshow this year, so I thought I'd chime in.

I'll be the first to admit that the quality of the show has deteriorated and there is a fair amount of unrelated stuff that detracts from the intent of the show.

This year I have made an effort to discourage and not to send applications to vendors that are clearly a bad fit (Nutritional supplements, Karate studios...). I can only play the hand I am dealt, so at this stage I have very little knowlege of the vendors or the facilities. I am planning on using this show to take stock of the vendors and weed out those that are clearly out of place. Having said that, you can't be all things to all people. If a vendor is prepared to pay for tables to sell their wares year after year, there must be some demand for it.

At this point, we have over 100 vendors and over 200 tables sold. Things are slowing down a bit, but I am expecting a few more to trickle in. I have a good feeling about the show.

Post a few flyers around town for us.

Thanks
    Rob

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/photo...Show_Flyer.pdf

Hiya Rob (SlowLeadBullets)

Don’t take the complaints you see here too seriously. I for one just like to complain, poke fun, harangue and brow beat for the heck of it. If you go and kick out all the beanie baby peddlers then I will miss out on the opportunity to stand in front of their table rolling my eyes with a disgusted look on my face asking the guy over and over in ever increasing volume “are you Smitty of the North?”…… “Answer me beanie baby boy, ARE YOU Smitty of the North?”…….

But good call in sending the Karate guys down the road…… I am afraid to brow beat them……

Speaking of which…. Is it permissible to slap the undesirable vendors around like John Wayne in the High and the Mighty? I didn’t think so……but thought I would ask, you know…..just in case….

JUST KIDDING!

In all seriousness, I would suspect that the turn out this year would be huge due to the uncertainty regarding the future of such gun shows under the incoming administration. As we all know, they are rather keen on “closing the gun show loop hole” which is liberal code for “closing all the gun shows” and I expect quite a few paranoid folks like myself with show up to mill around with the hope of finding something I just cant live without before the opportunity is forever lost. I am honestly looking forward to it this year and have high hopes for a good show!

I still firmly believe that advanced advertising will get you the biggest bang for the buck. You would be surprised at how many folks don’t ever hear about the gun shows until its too late.

Wink WHS SHow

I've been attending the WHS GunSHow since 1990...

I've always enjoyed it. and yes some years have been better than others. You're always going to find some sellers hawking guns at bogus prices. Fact is, some fools will actually pay it. 9Go figure)

I actually go to EXHIBIT my collection. Rarely to sell, although I've found some great pieces to add to my collection at this show. This year I'll have four tables to exhibit my Milsurp collection. Those of you who attend other shows in Anchorage and Matsu area are likely familiar with me. I'm Pres of the Alaska Machine Gun Association and generally exhibit my Milsurp collection in conjunction with the AMGA Display (Mostly at the AGCA sponsored shows). At those shows we'll have 10-12 tables of Military weapons on display.

I think the WHS show should Encourage displays by giving a limited number of free tables to those that exhibit only and don't sell, as the AGCA does. That way you'll have some historical and informative displays as well as an additional draw. It may draw more spectators....

There's a reason you see all the non-gun, hunting, or fishing related stuff for sale lately at gunshows. A Vendor pays 50 Bucks per table for the weekend, compared to 5-900 Bucks for a booth at a trade show of similar size. They don't have to sell anywhere NEAR as much to cover expenses, and might actually turn a decent profit DESPITE the lower sales.

I'm not advocating 500 tables of Foo-foo krap. A limited number of "non-gun" related tables are fine so that folks who may have no interst in guns, (generally the wives and Girlfriends), have something to interest them as well. It adds to the draw to some extent.

Deals do exist at shows.... you just have to be patient,persistent, and informed. These shows bring out the hard to find stuff! Look for the Guy with one or two tables and a seemingly unrelated mix of guns and gun stuff for sale. That's where you generally find the treasures--AND the Deals.

Forget the guys with UMPTEEN tables hawking the SAME OL Mixture of overpriced guns that you see at all the shows .... Look for the unusual, and don't be afraid to bargain. Vendors expect it, and it's a reason the prices tend to be high.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Hiya Rob (SlowLeadBullets)

Don’t take the complaints you see here too seriously. I for one just like to complain, poke fun, harangue and brow beat for the heck of it. If you go and kick out all the beanie baby peddlers then I will miss out on the opportunity to stand in front of their table rolling my eyes with a disgusted look on my face asking the guy over and over in ever increasing volume “are you Smitty of the North?”…… “Answer me beanie baby boy, ARE YOU Smitty of the North?”…….
    Laughed so hard I almost pissed myself!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Laughed so hard I almost pissed myself!
    Me too. I dunno why I get all the dirty jobs.

I only have ONE "Beanie Baby", and it weighs 25 Lbs. I got it at Costco, and I don't plan on selling it. I'm converting it to energy.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default A few gun show comments and suggestions

I've hitting gun shows now for close to half a century - I started pretty young and have been to quite a few over the country. I helped run the AGCA shows up here in the early 80s, and had a table for about 10 years at the numerous Houston Gun Collectors shows before I moved back up here.

I think the typical gun show as we knew it is a dying animal. EBay and one-line auctions as well as forum sale or trade listings have killed a lot of the gun show life as you can put an item before a large interested audience and get top $$ without all the bother of sitting behind a gun show table. A lot of the good stuff ending up in auctions and the demise of the huge variety of surplus guns and ammo hasn't helped much either.

While we are all complaining about the poor quality of gun shows we need to ask ourselfs when was the last time we had a table at a gun show and participated? I've got to work most of the weekend so I'm out this time but some of us should get together and get a couple of tables. It would be fun to meet face to face and sitting behind a table with some friends can be a lot of fun. Perhaps the Palmer show would give us time to get a group together if this one is too short notice.

I used to take my son and daughter to the shows with me and it was good experience for all of us. I got my son into a few deals where he made some money and got interested. One time I had him buy a big box of the old P-38 can openers and he hawked them and made pocket money for some years. My daughter bought a big bag of close-out bananas at the grocery store where we stopped for breakfast on the way to the show one time and sold them for $.25 or so until they threated to toss us out for selling food without a license.

Gun shows in Alaska are still a lot more fun than the lower 48. Perhaps we can prolong their lives if we pitch in somehow.

One suggestion for the show sponsers: give a one-time signifcant price discount on one table to any one with all gun and gun related stuff that has never had a table there before. It might bring out some interesting stuff we would never see otherwise.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast