Thread: Guide or Transporter Insurance

Default Guide or Transporter Insurance

For you guides or transporters out there (preferably transporters), who do you get your insurance through to satisfy the States liability requirement? I am going to try to get a transporters license and they have a bond option or insurance option.

Thanks,

Gooch

Be sure to post this in the Bush Pilot forum. You may get some hits there.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Denali Alaskan Insurance in anchorage is where alot of guides run thru...nice to meet ya gooch, good luck on PWS and keep in touch!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Air taxi's and guide...don'

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    For you guides or transporters out there (preferably transporters), who do you get your insurance through to satisfy the States liability requirement? I am going to try to get a transporters license and they have a bond option or insurance option.

Thanks,

Gooch
    IF you are only an air taxi/transporter you are not required to carry "guide and outfitter insurance".

Besides the premises liability and air carriers insurance which you get from any broker that is all that is required for a so called 'transporter'.

Guides are not permitted to carry passengers for hire.

Default here you go-

Thanks,

Gooch
    Gooch,

Dunno if she's still around, but you could try Bonnie Mckay at Alaska Business Insurance in Anchorage.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the info, I will get it squared up today. I am just a transporter not an air taxi or guide. Quite frankly I am not even transporting just need to license to advertise hunting opportunities.

Avalanche, not sure what you meant by a so called transporter but I appreciate the info.

GOoch

Exclamation Transopter ?

Gooch
    If you are not transporting big game hunters into the feild I do`nt understand why you need a transporter license to advertise opertunity. I went through something similar deal a while back in reguard to renting cabins to hunters. Double check that you have been given the right information regauding your activity. The Dept. of Commerce will not refund your fee even if they give you faulty information about requirments. The insurance costs at least 2 grand. good luck

Thanks everyone for the info, I will get it squared up today. I am just a transporter not an air taxi or guide. Quite frankly I am not even transporting just need to license to advertise hunting opportunities.

Avalanche, not sure what you meant by a so called transporter but I appreciate the info.

GOoch
    You sure don't need a transporters license to advertise hunting opportunities.

Just look at Cabela's or The Hunting Fool or on and on and on.

Just out of curiosity...what kind of 'transporting' are you engaged in then?

Boat based, wheelers, horses, pickup trucks??

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Gooch
    If you are not transporting big game hunters into the feild I do`nt understand why you need a transporter license to advertise opertunity. I went through something similar deal a while back in reguard to renting cabins to hunters. Double check that you have been given the right information regauding your activity. The Dept. of Commerce will not refund your fee even if they give you faulty information about requirments. The insurance costs at least 2 grand. good luck
    Hey Nice to see you back and good post.

Default What I have

Hey Avalanche and others,

I have a place on POW. HAve a place, want to rent my boats and vehicles out to hunters that want to come down to supplement my DIY fishing adventures. I had some interaction telling me I couldn't advertise without a guide or transporter license. I then attended the BGCSB and testified looking for answers whether I can advertise or not for hunting ops. Anyway I got some answers that I Can rent equipment because I am 'in town' but advertising is where they were unsure/undecided/unwilling to give me an anser. I figured if I get a transporter license I can advertise, this coming after talking to the troopers, BGCSB lawyer,etc. Just wanted to be 'in the right'.

Here's what I do:

HAve lodging/meals
    Boats, the client takes them out
    Vehicles, again the client take it

You can buy a package to my place for $1450 for a week. Hell of a deal I think.

I WILL NOT be in the field with folks or take them anywhere. I need to cook dinner, clean, etc. THey will use my skiff or ocean boat from the harbor in Coffman. THat's where i'm at.

Gooch

Hey Avalanche and others,

I have a place on POW. HAve a place, want to rent my boats and vehicles out to hunters that want to come down to supplement my DIY fishing adventures. I had some interaction telling me I couldn't advertise without a guide or transporter license. I then attended the BGCSB and testified looking for answers whether I can advertise or not for hunting ops. Anyway I got some answers that I Can rent equipment because I am 'in town' but advertising is where they were unsure/undecided/unwilling to give me an anser. I figured if I get a transporter license I can advertise, this coming after talking to the troopers, BGCSB lawyer,etc. Just wanted to be 'in the right'.

Here's what I do:

HAve lodging/meals
    Boats, the client takes them out
    Vehicles, again the client take it

You can buy a package to my place for $1450 for a week. Hell of a deal I think.

I WILL NOT be in the field with folks or take them anywhere. I need to cook dinner, clean, etc. THey will use my skiff or ocean boat from the harbor in Coffman. THat's where i'm at.

Gooch
    When you are advertising your business you are not doing anything different than Cabelas is....I promise you they don't have a 'transporters' license to advertise what you are selling.

It is incredible, but not surprising at all that you could not get a straight answer from any of those folks.

You clearly are not required to obtain a transporter license or any other kind of license except of course a business license to advertise your business interests.

Essentially you are acting as your own booking agent when when you are advertising.

What you do when people finally arrive is considered 'outfitting'.

Neither advertising your packages for hunters or outfitting hunters requires you to obtain a transporter license under the conditions your describing.

It is legal for you to outfit anyone...for any activity like fishing or hunting under the conditions you describe.

There is of course some kind of insurance you will need and want to have but I could not give you any advice on that.

I can tell you Wells Fargo sells the kind of insurance you need. I suggest you stop in at the Bank in Craig and talk to somebody....they will probably put you in touch with the Anchorage office.

Shop your insurance needs around too. You might be surprised at the price differential depending on where you look.

Write the department of law and have them put it in writing that either you do or you don't need a transporter license if you really want to get an answer you can rely on. They have to respond to your question.

Bet ya a steak dinner they come back with a 'no you don't need a transporter license' to advertise your business interest.

IF they do come back with a letter telling you that you have to have one let me know!