Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: range finder

Default range finder

I am in the hunt for my first range finder ? any suggestions

I have the new Lepould and I love it. It will tell you how far the animal is and what yardage to shoot at.

Default how much do you want to spend

I liked my friends Leica a lot. But i didn't want to spend that much. I bought a Bushnell and was very disappointed with it. I sent it back and got a Nikon 550. The Nikon works great and and is very reasonably prices - $199.

I have a Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC, I like it because it gives you total distance, vertical angle and horizontal distance in 1 reading. I paid $300.

There are plenty out there, and if you are close to a Sportsmans WH, go check them out. When I looked, they must have had 10-20 different models to pick from.

In your decision, you will want to easily get the horizontal distance for bow hunting. This is important when a large vertical angle is involved, as is the case hunting from a stand. If you are hunting on relatively flat ground, this isn't so as important as the total and horizontal distance will be very similar.

Leica CRF 1200, it's super light and easy to carry. Mine still has the original battery from when I first bought it over a year ago.

My leica (that I'm trying to shake) is super good on batteries also!! I dont think I've ever changed it from when I first got it (over two years ago!)

Default Bushnell

I have bushnell, that i am not that happy about, the focus knob fell off, along with a few eye cups, and it is heavy. I am also on the lookout for a new one, and will be looking hard at the ones that compensate the angle for distance for you.

Default Second to ARC

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I have a Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC, I like it because it gives you total distance, vertical angle and horizontal distance in 1 reading. I paid $300.
    I concur - been very happy with this range finder.

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    I concur - been very happy with this range finder.
    I bought one too for a sheep hunt. I practiced on a mountain slope with the bow before the hunt and the range finder was a real plus on those steep shots up hill and down.

Still no sheep but the goat permit is in and I hope to make it back up to the slope this fall for another sheep hunt.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Nikon=Good Leupold=Bad

I bought a Leupold RX II. It worked miserably. It was by far the worst investment I've made in years. It struggled to attain yardages on large truck sized objects and useless on game animals. It did not give a reading on three good sized caribou on the North Slope at 61 yards (I later stepped off the distance).

I bought a Nikon 600 as a replacement, much much better performance. It did what it should as advertised. It is a little less comforable in the hand, but that's being nit picky.

I own a Leica CRF 1200 and a Leupold RX II. My RX II worked poorly until I sent it back to Leupold, they sent it back with a new battery and it has worked since. My Leica will range every time I point it at something. It ranges out over 1000 yards with no trouble even in fog and rain. It is nice to range different objects to aid in judging distances during stalks. I use the RX II for bow and close up stuff but the Leica is my go to for hunting here in Alaska.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

KWP, sounds like you need to do what stid did! See if that helps....or did you already ditch it?

Default Range Finder

Since this is a bowhunting forum, I assume you are looking for a range finder for archery. I currently have a Leica LRF that WORKS. It works real good for rifle season and has the clearest optics I've seen on a range finder. It isn't however angle compensating for archery; You'll know the range to the animal but the change in angle (uphill or downhill) becomes a mental thing. I choose the Leica because the batteries(9 volt) are cheaper than most other range finders, it holds like a pair of binoculars, has only one button (turns the unit on and does the ranging), has a scan mode which allows you to see the range change as an animal moves, it has excellent optics,quality, a small target box,highly visible red LED readout and target box(might not be good if you are color blind) uncluttered viewer, and 7x magnification. Total sixe 4.5"x4.5"x1.5" @ 11.5 ozs.

Good luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I agree with brav01. I dont know why anyone else (that I know of at least) hasn't gone to the brightly lit red amining point and readout that Leica has. It is a huge advantage over the others when ranging in low light and just plain WAY easier to see. I've got the same model that he has and its been good, I'm just looking to get one that is a vertical model as my hands are small and when ranging objects far away with one hand, it gets a bit shaky when I'm using it...

Default Leupold RX II.

I was told by a Leupold seller at the Anchorage sports show that the RX IIs had a software problem when they first came out. I called Leupold and they said they knew of no such issue. This range finder was unusable when it was sent back. I have owned many range finders and know how to use one. They sent it back and said nothing was wrong with it and gave me a new battery. The range finder now works as it should. Leupold has great customer service. If not happy with it send it back. I had put a new battery in it but maybe that one was old as well. Never hurts to try fresh batteries in anything electronic.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have never been let down by my Nikon 440. Simple, compact, inexpensive and reliable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ... batteries(9 volt) ...
    Yes, 9v is the way to go... last quite awhile - easy to pack a new one.

Default YEA

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Yes, 9v is the way to go... last quite awhile - easy to pack a new one.
    Cheaper than the CR2 batteries that come in a lot of range finders,and easier to find too
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Tried that

hunt_ak, Yes I tried new batteries. It was a Christmas present from my kids. The last thing I wanted to do was return it. No improvement with new batteries. When it gave a reading, the distance was accurate though.

It also wanted to be held extremely still when in use. That's hard to do with a bow in one hand, range finder in the other, and an elevated heart rate. You know what I mean, that's why you hunt too.

Quote Originally Posted by KWP View Post
    hunt_ak,
    It also wanted to be held extremely still when in use. That's hard to do with a bow in one hand, range finder in the other, and an elevated heart rate. You know what I mean, that's why you hunt too.
    Why could you not range a couple ofdifferent points to get a good idea of different distance? This will reduce the need to hold bow in one hand and range finder in the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast