Thread: two stroke jet availability

Default two stroke jet availability

Thinking ahead to spring Iím working up an inflatable jet project. Iím trying to find a low hour 2 stroke mercury20 jet, but they were discontinued several years back. (Knew I should have grabbed one then!) With the increasing scarcity of this engine what are folks doing for a light weight jet? Is it economically feasible to convert a new Yamaha or older Mercury? Where are folks getting the jet lower ends to fit these? Any other suggestions? I donít want to lug the weight of the 4 stroke.

Check with Reed's snowmachine and marine in Fairbanks. I bought one from him year before last and he had a few more. Be worth a call.
    My Rig

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Check with Sea Marita in Anchorage

I saw an add from Sea Marita in Craigslist about a month ago for a 20 hp jet merc. they were trying to sell. It was unused. If I remember correctly, they wanted like $3000 for it.

Steve, it was actually your boat posts that got me going. I have been riding into a buddys cabin using an Achillies with the Merc 20 for about 5 years now. Works well, but a dedicated jet inflatable would be better. Key to fly out potential is the weight.

Default boat weight

the jet ranger will weigh about 175 lbs for the bigger model.
    it is to much for one guy to lift when rolled up and put in a plane or the back of your car, but two guys easy enough,,
    the motor with jet pump will weigh under 180, and then you have fuel..
    the boat will get on step with about max 900 lbs in it, over that and it won't
    It will run in just a few inches of water and is really a tough boat..
    I want one really bad myself..
    I missed a motor last fall,, I should have bought it even though I don't have a Jet Ranger yet..
    I saw that motor set up for sale a few months or a month ago and it is probably a decent price ?? I dunno..

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Unless you have a love for Mercs, Johnson made a 20hp jet too. I have one on my zodi and it works well. Setting up the transom was a pain, but once you get through that it works pretty well. Surprisingly well in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Unless you have a love for Mercs, Johnson made a 20hp jet too. I have one on my zodi and it works well. Setting up the transom was a pain, but once you get through that it works pretty well. Surprisingly well in fact.

When did they quit making it? Any idea of overall weight? I'm still curious about modifing a new yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    When did they quit making it? Any idea of overall weight? I'm still curious about modifing a new yamaha.
    I can pick it up and move it around the garage so it must not be that heavy. I bet it is 130 pounds or so. Mine is 1999. It has performed flawlessly. I am thankful for it too, as I have never had a Johnson before. I am sorry, I don't know when they quit making them. I'm sure someone will chime in

Dave,

Here at Alaska Raft and Kayak we have just finished manufacturing a custom frame, and motor mount, on a new Grabner Ranger (which we sell). The owner of this combination is hanging a new Yamaha 25 hp with jet foot on it. He just bought the motor ($2600.00) and jet foot ($1700.00) from Dewey's Cook Inlet. The combination weighs 125 pounds. Hopefully they can help you.

Some years ago I hung a 25 hp Tohatsu, with jet foot, which I bought from Marita Sea and Ski, on my personal AIRE Power Traveler. That motor/jet foot combination weighed 126 pounds. You might check with Wade to see if he can still get that motor combination for you.

Lastly, you can always buy the jet foot direct from the manufacturer and install it yourself. Dropping the lower unit on a motor and installing the jet foot is an easily accomplished job.

Good luck in your search,

Tracey

Thanks Tracy! Gives me another reason to stop back by to chew the fat.

Dave

PS Mike S.... If Tracy is "an unknown quantity" doesn't that pretty well shoot the integrity of the reference system. We both know better.

Default Tracey Harmon-

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    ...PS Mike S.... If Tracy is "an unknown quantity" doesn't that pretty well shoot the integrity of the reference system. We both know better.
    I tried to find the post you are referencing, but gave up. Also I can't tell if you're serious or not. At any rate, I was making a joke- the only "unknown quantity" about Tracey is his High School diploma... he he! He's from Oklahoma, so... well.... what do you expect? I keep warning him whenever I go into the shop to quit sniffing that raft glue; his brain cells are an endangered species that he cannot afford to lose!

[late-breaking news.... someone just reminded me that I said he was an "Unknown Quantity" because he lacked the little green square under his name... yesss! I't all coming back to me now.... The reason he doesn't write much here, is because he's essentially illiterate. As I told someone today, the only writing he's been known to do is with a pocket knife on tree trunks, and even then he spells it wrong! But we're working with him, and we have him in a remedial English course right now. Also I bought him an Okie-English interlinear and translation guide for Christmas. So hopefully we'll see more of him around the forums!]

Anyway, it's all good-natured humor. I consider Tracey one of my very best friends. He's also one of the best-known and most respected "raft guys" in the state of Alaska.

Sorry for the confusion! It's all Tracey's fault!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 01-03-2009 at 23:36.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default yamaha jet

I posted a while back about my little inflatable. I ended up with it at home(far away from you guys) and its taking up space with no intended use. I think i paid 1500 or so from outboard jets in CA and had it shipped to me. I must say, if you need one give me a shout. I don't think sending the motor and all makes any sense? maybe just the jet unit? Don't know what it would cost to ship. I certainly would take less than I paid for it, good for you, good for me...(sorry if I'm coming across like a classified, just trying to help) The motor, jet combo ran me 4,000 total. 2500 and 1500.