Thread: Need HELP! Ice and winter boating in SE

Cool Need HELP! Ice and winter boating in SE

Hey guys,

Need some advice on winter boating in southeast. Made a post in the powerboating forum. In short if I put my boat back in the water this weekend and tie up in my slip will my boat get damaged by a little ice? (more detail in boat section!)

Thanks! (I need to go troll for kings!)

well quite a few boats end up sinking in the slip during the winter in southeast, mostly due to heavy snow I think though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Your boat should be ok in the slip. I had fiberglass boats in SE harbors year round for many years. Just check on it routinely and make sure your batteries and bilges are in good order.

Batteries, Bilges, and above all else, SHOVEL THE SNOW! Even a light snow load gets heavy enough to list or sink a boat when it gets wet and freezes. If we have too many more days of sub-15 degree weather with wind downtown, i'll be down breaking up the ice in my slip... when parts of Harris and Aurora begin to freeze, you'll see the old timers with wood fishing boats down dumping rock salt on the ice... just enough to keep it slushy next to the hull instead of a hard freeze.

The Can Can hasn't been out of the water more than a few days in almost 8 years now, and no problems in or out of the boathouse... (can't say the same for the boathouse next door to mine - or the boats in it!)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default how about moving through it?

Thanks for the help gents. Another question... how much ice is ok to push through getting out of the slip?? as long as I go slow and the boat is actually moving is it ok? (There's no reason for me to put her back in unless I'm going to use her!)

As long as you're making headway at idle speeds, I'd think you would be okay. A lot depends on design and material of your particular boat. The Can Can has a relatively thin aluminum skin, and I've moved some big bergs around without incident. In the harbor, I've tried to move against the sheet of ice many times... usually the skim just breaks away and we're off. Last winter I had nearly 3" built up in the fairway, and I couldn't break it by backing at idle...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]