Thread: Winter boating and ice

Question Winter boating and ice

Hey guys,
    I can't stop thinking of winter kings on some of these beautiful days we're having on POW. Pulled the boat months ago. Have never left a boat in during winter. My question is.. if I put her back in (26ft aluminum harbercraft) do I have to worry about the ice around my slip? I looked this morning and there is an inch or so of soft saltwater ice. We are having a bit of a cold snap now and I'm told the ice never gets more than 3 or 4 inches thick around my slip. I may have to power through 30 yards or so to get to the open water. Will it damage my boat? A few scrapes I can handle but she's so pretty I'd hate to mark her up too bad. If I get frozen into 4 inches of ice will it damage my hull? I can see that I may have to be careful backing around the slip so I don't jam any ice into my tabs or transducers. Any one out there have any experience/advice to share?

They sell a little motorized deal that is for slips, it basicly is a small propeller thing that causes a bit of turbulant current around your boat so ice cannot form around it. It's a plug in thing, fairly simple idea. I don't know much more other than that, I just know something like it exists. West Marine, Overton's, Boating World, etc, would have such a item.

West Marine -It's called a "de-icer" for slips.

I'd worry more about freezing the plumbing and frozen engine/cooling parts than i would worry about a metal boat being scratched up although if the ice got thick enough it might squish you boat a bit. Can you just trailer it for a day's use and then take it home again? You'll still have to re-winterize/drain any of the motor/cooling type stuff.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Boat in sea ice in the winter time

the bigest problem you will have is snow buildup /ICE it can sink the boat has to be cleaned off they get snow around thoes towns an clearing it off when you wan to use the boat
    SID

Default Suisse

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the bigest problem ...ICE it can sink the boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Holy Frozen Boats BATMAN!!!

That is a sad sight right there. Could you imagine showing up and finding your boat like that? Wow!!

Charterboat Operator

Default Yikes!

Bullbuster, where was that picture from??

wow, after seeing that pic, i'm glad our boat is nice and snug under the carpot!!....yes, imagine going down to the marine and seeing that??...hope the insurance is paid up!! larry

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys,

I can clear ice with the best of em so I'm not to worried there. I have twin outboards that should drain ok and the plumbing is all winterized (except the bilge plumbing). After I talked my wife into letting me spend our house down payment on a boat I need to make sure I don't sink it! Aside from it getting squished I'm not really worried about it...but my wife loves that it looks so pretty!
    I have a 1/2ton pickup that pulls the boat but it does not enjoy it. I also rent an apartment with no place close to park the boat. I live in Klawock and park it at a friends place in Craig so just trailering it is a pain. Aside from that my wife is a bball coach so I spend a lot of time fishing alone. Launching my 26ft boat alone is a chore. Besides my slip is litteraly a 5 minute walk from the house. I can get down there turn on the heat, crank up the twins and be fishing in 15 minutes.

The only thing that is really worring me right now is the possibility that with added weight (from snow and Ice)the boat could get pushed down enough to let water in if somehow the "balls" in the scuppers (I think that's what they are called) malfunctioned. Perhaps from being blocked by ice? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Default Sinking your boat sucks.

And you SURE don't want icy balls!

Default Europe

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Bullbuster, where was that picture from??
    It's Lake Geneve in '05. Loc Leman in Suisse.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Lots of boats in the harbor right now. It's not problem. I leave my outboard down when it's freezing. The water is warmer than the air, and lifting them might cause trapped water to freeze.

...and make sure that the 'pee' stream is coming out of the motor when you start it.