Thread: Taurus Model 44

Default Taurus Model 44

Picked one of these up from a friend pretty cheap, what do you guys think of this gun? It seems like a pretty well built gun, and it has a "Lifetime Warranty" so they say. I hope I don't need the warranty, but I guess I'm not complaining if something isn't right.

So what do you think?

I'll post pics tomorrow... sleepy time now.

Default Not bad, but...

I had one for a brief time. It shot well, handled recoil well. I would take one over a Tracker any day. But, and maybe this is just me, it didn't quite feel right. Too steeped in the use of Ruger and S&W perhaps. It is probably a good heavier .44 mag DA. You can pick them up pretty inexpensively, for a DA .44.
    One note on Lifetime Warranties. Sears puts a lifetime warranty on their Craftsman tools. That, in my experience, is because they will break before Snap-On or Mac tools will, who also offer a lifetime warranty that is rarely needed. like Ruger or S&W.

Taurus is as well made a gun as a S&W or Ruger is and Taurus stands behind their product better than Snap-On or Craftsman for that matter. The only thing wrong with Taurus is it's not made ti the USA, but it's as good a brand as can be found worldwide.

Now as to tools, I buy Craftsman, SK, Proto, and some other store brands now. I have about $20K in Snap-On tools from the late 70's early 80's and I stooped buying them when they would not replace a 3/4" ratchet that had a tooth broken on the inside. They replaced the guts 3 times, but the broken tooth was on the handle side that they would not replace!

Every time I had a broken Snap-On tool they looked at me like I was cheating them, "Did you use a cheater bar on this?" nope, just all 285lbs of me! "you could not have broken this bear handed!" Yes I did and got the skinned up hands to prove it.

Go to Sears with a broken tool and they hand you a shiny new one no mater what the old one looks like! Also Craftsman and Snap-On tools are made of the same 4140 chrome molly steel but the Craftsman ones are stronger due to there thickness. The pro to Snap-On is they are better machined and a bit less likely to round off a nut as well as to fit in tighter places.

Ever notice the edges of a Snap-On wrench are sharp as a knife? That is to keep you from putting to much force on it and braking the tool, hearts your hand before the tool. Craftsman has thick sides and is easy on the hand, and now with the new ones they have even turned the ends so your hand pushes on the flat side.

To me only thing wrong with Taurus is the same thing thats wrong with Glock, they are not American made. They are every bit as good as any American production gun and have the best warranty I know of on a production gun.

Andy

Check it out
    Attached Images Attached Images

What caliber?

Default Oh, really

I was a mechanic for years and I had 60/40 Snap-On and Mac. When I firtst strated, I bought Craftsman and for home DIY they're okay, but standard Craftsman are no where near as well made as either of the others, by a long shot. They are heavier and thicker which makes them harder to use in tight spots. They don't hold up as well. Yeah, the guarantee is great, but I'd rather have a tool that lasts longer. Wonder why professional mechanics use the good brands over Craftsman.
    To say that Taurus builds as good a gun as S&W or Ruger is obviously charged by personal bias, not facts. I was in the business for myself and others for years and a number of places won't even think about Taurus because of the problems. The latest Taurus' do hold up pretty well, but they are still not the equal of the others. I also don't like the shorter cylinders of their revolvers. Interesting that Taurus copied the S&W so closely. Wonder why. Hmmm...

Default another big difference

The big difference between Craftsman and Snap-On etc. is the way that are made. The better brands of tools - like Craftsman used to be - are forged and machined / broached. The cheaper Craftsman are now investment castings hence they are thicker and clunker although they are strong and have a great warranty.

There is a similarity between S&W and Rugers - S&W's use forged frames where Ruger's are casting. S&W can make a slimmer trimmer yet adequately strong revolvers compared to Ruger's clunky yet stronger revolvers.

Both have their place. While I still use some newer Craftsman tools for beating rusted bolts off i still appreciated the older forged tools I have and use them for normal work.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I was a mechanic for years and I had 60/40 Snap-On and Mac. When I firtst strated, I bought Craftsman and for home DIY they're okay, but standard Craftsman are no where near as well made as either of the others, by a long shot. They are heavier and thicker which makes them harder to use in tight spots. They don't hold up as well. Yeah, the guarantee is great, but I'd rather have a tool that lasts longer. Wonder why professional mechanics use the good brands over Craftsman.
    To say that Taurus builds as good a gun as S&W or Ruger is obviously charged by personal bias, not facts. I was in the business for myself and others for years and a number of places won't even think about Taurus because of the problems. The latest Taurus' do hold up pretty well, but they are still not the equal of the others. I also don't like the shorter cylinders of their revolvers. Interesting that Taurus copied the S&W so closely. Wonder why. Hmmm...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I bought one from a friend recently also. I really, really like it. It feels great to shoot and is very accurate. I like that it holds 6 rounds. It may be a little heavy but that just makes it fun to shoot. I shot an air-lite (sp?) only three times and my hand was sore. I can shoot 50 through this no problem. hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

WHO CARES ABOUT CRAFTSMAN, MAC OR SNAP-ON. WE ARE TALKING GUNS.

Wonder why professional mechanics use the good brands over Craftsman.
    Likely for the same reason I did, factory financing and thinking they were the best at the time. Now I have a box full of busted Snap-On that they would not stand behind. I don't mind if you love the brand name, it's your money! They will never get another dime from me! I still have all my Dad's Craftsman stuff from the 50's and they never brake. Mine as old as 1976 and even the new stuff lasts as good as Snap-On for 1/10 the money. Beat it, grind it, weld it, use it on a gun, don't matter what is wrong with it they will stand behind Craftsman!

Taurus copies other makers, true. But where do you think Ruger gets some of their designs? Even Smith riped off Colt and others over the years. For production guns Taurus is on a par with Ruger and S&W, I have all 3 and love them all! Bthink what ya will!

Andy

Default Ruger designs

at least the double actions, have been quite innovative and different, such as their modular construction, very unlike Smith and Colt. They don't compare to Smith or Colt except that they are all revolvers.
    To each their own, I've have problems with the half dozen Taurus I've had, both revolvers and semis. The problem is, even now, is their inconsistent quality control, though they are better then they were. Still, variety and options are always a good thing.
    TVFinak, kudos on managing to get a lick in on the forged Smith and cast Ruger, but I'm not going there, again.

Its a 44 Magnum. I could be wrong but I think the Model 44 only comes in 44 magnum.

ok I wasn't sure. It is nice that it has 6 round capasity. my tracker only has 5.

Default Not just Double Action

at least the double actions, have been quite innovative and different, such as their modular construction, very unlike Smith and Colt. (edited for brevity)
    Mauserboy,

Your comment about "Ruger designs, at least the double actions,..." reminded me how innovative Bill Ruger was with the Mark I (nobody thought a gun that looked so much like a Nazi pistol would be accepted only three years after WWII) and when Ruger brought out the Blackhawks; was there any other Single-Action revolver maker using coil springs?

Let me propose a pipe dream. Imagine if Wilhelm and Peter Paul Mauser, Samuel Colt, Bill Ruger, David (Carbine) Williams, Mikhail Kalashnikov and John Browning were all in a room together... Then put Elmer Keith in charge of the refreshments. (Of course, you know, whoever controls the coffee pot controls the agenda, right?)

Submitted for you consideration.

Lost Sheep
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 12-23-2008 at 21:07. Reason: add M.K.

I had one for a while, darn strong built gun, but naturally you pay with added weight, much rather have my S&W 629 for carry, if i wanted to shoot a lot of hot loads ida kept the taurus, I doubt one would ever wear out.