Thread: Eklutna Traverse Informations Wanted

Default Eklutna Traverse Informations Wanted

Planning to do the traverse in mid-March. Anyone with information? Gear needed, maps, etc. Thanks

i would look at joining MCA (mountaineering club of alaska) if you aren't already a member. i am not a member but they have regular meetings, offer trips led by fellow experienced members, and are a wealth of information for DIY trips like the Euklutna Traverse. You would want a lighter weight ski touring setup. also, you need to be skilled in crevasse rescue techniques, and you should have a partner for it.

just came across this post...

you should take a full glacier setup, although how much time you spend roped up will depend on your comfort level. skis are highly recommended. snowshoes are highly not recommended.

it can be really cold...it was below zero at night in April.

Imus Geographics' CSP map shows the general route, but there are some exceptions. i would have to look at the map to tell you exactly where they are.

you should definitely join the MCA...it's dirt cheap, they have lots of info, and dues help support the huts that you will absolutely love along the traverse.

if you have some more specific questions, ask away.