Thread: water pump question

Default water pump question

i have a 90hp mercury with jet. it's 5 yrs old. i've noticed the "pee stream" doesn't start right away anymore. i've heard about having the water pump flushed. is there a standard maintenance replacement time for running silty rivers (tanana). do water pumps need to be flushed or replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    i have a 90hp mercury with jet. it's 5 yrs old. i've noticed the "pee stream" doesn't start right away anymore. i've heard about having the water pump flushed. is there a standard maintenance replacement time for running silty rivers (tanana). do water pumps need to be flushed or replaced?

I have a Suzuki DF140. I have found that silty water is very very hard on the water pump housing. It erodes very quickly. Two years ago I switched the jet to the prop, using the original water pump, and the engine overheated 15 minutes into the trip. I had to replace the housing and the impeller.Before last hunting season I took the jet off to inspect the pump and found, after only one season, substantial erosion in the housing. I replaced the housing and impeller and didn't have a problem.

IMO if you think your motor is not producing enough water than you should replace the impeller and housing (cheap insurance)especially on jets in AK.

Thumbs up Every year

As a cheap insurance policy, I replace mine every year and while I am in there I inspect the pump.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up water pumps

I run a dip-netting charter buisiness on the Copper river and run the river hard. Everyday, and sometimes twice a day , and I may go through as many as two or three sets of water pump impellers and housings a season on my twin outboards. When ever I notice a hesitation or low flow rate I'll inspect, and usually replace, the impellers and housings. Cheap($40), insurance as far as I'm concerned. I also flush with fresh water about every two or three days and this seems to get me a little more life out of the water pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    If you have run the Tanana for five years, plan on replacing the pump. The silt in the Tanana can shorten the life of a water pump quickly, if you get stuck, (like I have on the Wood, the sand can eat up a pump fast) it will shorten it even more as the jet foot is acting like a suction dredge and pumping a lot of the bottom thru the pump.
    I remove the lower unit and inspect/ replace the pump yearly. as capkim said, its cheap insurance.