Thread: Lion Head Power Traveler

Question Lion Head Power Traveler

Just bought a Power Traveler and I'm spending every penny to get it dialed in for a summer of fishing and hunting. I've paddled the Gulkana numerous times in rafts and rowed the upper Kenai a dozen times in a 16ft cat.

I am excited about the ODD trip in May and wonder if the Power Traveler is the right boat for Lion Head.

Also, as I've never seen a PT on the water, is it more natural to point my bow down river as I row, or use the keel up river to help lateral movement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Power Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Jack View Post
    Just bought a Power Traveler and I'm spending every penny to get it dialed in for a summer of fishing and hunting. I've paddled the Gulkana numerous times in rafts and rowed the upper Kenai a dozen times in a 16ft cat.

I am excited about the ODD trip in May and wonder if the Power Traveler is the right boat for Lion Head.

Also, as I've never seen a PT on the water, is it more natural to point my bow down river as I row, or use the keel up river to help lateral movement?
    Jack,

The Power Traveler is the wrong boat for Lion's Head. The PT is a powerboat, not a river raft. For Lion's Head you need a double-ender style cataraft of round boat, because you'll do a lot of back-rowing and push-rowing through serious drops and holes. Your PT will not perform correctly in a back-rowing situation and you could end up in serious trouble.

Just join us on the spring float, but leave the PT home. You'll have a great time.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Congrats

Very happy for you with your new raft. It looks great and I'm sure that you will get plenty of use out of it. Just curious if you could share with us your logic of your purchase and what's your main intent on uses.

Default Intent of PT

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Very happy for you with your new raft. It looks great and I'm sure that you will get plenty of use out of it. Just curious if you could share with us your logic of your purchase and what's your main intent on uses.
    I purchased the PT to use in fly in hunting and fishing trips. Boat and frame pack down in under 4' pieces and weight in under 150 pounds. Of course adding an outboard to the equation adds another 125 pounds with my honda 8hp.

I was thinking that this was the wrong boat for the Mat, and I'm glad you affirmed that Mike. I think I will be bringing the cat along on the ODD trip, as I really want to row Lions Head.

Don't have a clue about Lions Neck

But just wanted to congratulate you on the new raft. Sweeet!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Lion's Head

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Don't have a clue about Lions Neck

But just wanted to congratulate you on the new raft. Sweeet!
    Dan,

"Lion's Head" is an aggressive whitewater stretch of the Matanuska River, about two hours from Anchorage. It's name comes from the shape of a rock formation above the rapids. It's a world-famous section of road-accessible whitewater here in Alaska.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike. I was hoping someone might fill me in. Sounds exciting. Too exciting
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Jack,

The Power Traveler is the wrong boat for Lion's Head. The PT is a powerboat, not a river raft. Regards,

-Mike
    I guess that I was really refering to mikes comment about back rowing. I really don't have alot of experience but if you were doing a fly out hunt then when wouldn't you need to be able to do alot of back rowing?

I purchased the PT to use in fly in hunting and fishing trips. Boat and frame pack down in under 4' pieces and weight in under 150 pounds. Of course adding an outboard to the equation adds another 125 pounds with my honda 8hp.

I was thinking that this was the wrong boat for the Mat, and I'm glad you affirmed that Mike. I think I will be bringing the cat along on the ODD trip, as I really want to row Lions Head.
    Why was this setup more preferable to you than a regular cat set up with a motor?

Default Trade-offs

Colby Jack, I suspect you chose the PT for efficiency under motor. The tradeoff is less manuverability in serious, particularly rocky, whitewater. I've had round boats, sport boats, and catarafts and for me the ulitmate solution is my current rig, an 18' Aire cataraft with a piece of plexiglass mounted under the floor boards. We've run from Chelatna Lake (headwaters of Lake Creek) to Ship Creek boat launch in Anchorage with this set-up. Also have caught many a halibut in Cook Inlet with this rig and have been 1/2 way to Cordova & back in Prince William Sound. With my 25HP Yamaha 4-stroke we can get about 17MPH on step under the right conditions, according to my GPS anyway. So she motors great and as far as whitewater, we have done a bunch of it over the last 8 years and she is stable, flexible, and strong. If you really want the flexibility to do serious whitewater combined with motoring you might look at this option. But if you are primarily concerned with using the motor you've made the right choice. PS, I have no connection with Aire.

Happy Floating and Peace during the Holidays.

Default Got a Cat and Raft already

Wow cjines, Sounds like quite the setup! Got any pics of that badboy? Curious what kind of plastic you used on the bottom of your cat.

In reply to questions why I chose this boat setup versus a cat and kicker setup, I already have a cat and traditional raft with rowing frame. My cat is huge. Roughly 18 ft long by 7 wide. I wanted something to rip across Skilak up to the mouth if I don't really want to float the canyon. The upper Gulkana is another perfect spot.

It was really a niche boat that I wanted, but didn't need. I just heard from a good friend that Moose Creek is a great float for kings on memorial.

I'm stoked about using it in the rivers in Southcentral. The only time my boat would be "dangerous" is if I get turned around, which hasn't happened to me on the upper kenai before, or the upper gulkana. Really not trying to sound cocky. I'm glad this forum exists! It has helped to keep many accidents from occuring by having other, more experienced, boaters chime in with their $.02.

Default Sure, here are the pics

One is on Lake Creek, the second is rigging up the plastic bottom on the lower Big Su, preparing for the Crossing from the outlet of the Big Su to Ship Creek. The third is cruising from the mouth of the Big Su toward Anchorage. On this trip we used a 2-stroke rather than my 4 to reduce weight for the airplane ride to Chelatna Lake.

Looks like only let me upload the first two. I'll try again on a second post.

Default Last Pic

Someone let me know if adding another pic via an additional post is Taboo on this forum. No harm intended.

Default your good

Wow cjines, Sounds like quite the setup! Got any pics of that badboy? Curious what kind of plastic you used on the bottom of your cat.

No one ever complains about extra pics in a series. I think that you missed this part of Colby Jack question. Love the pics that you shared but do you have any close up of the floor to show how it's rigged? It would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

cjines
    Is your floor like the plastic one ARK use to sell. They called it a splash shield and it was white. I think it was made out of P-Tex(sp). How is the 25hp motor working out for you because I'm looking to buy a motor for mine. Thanks