Thread: Goat question

Default Goat question

Looking to do the unit 7 registration hunt for goats in November. Anyone have some past experience in this area. This is my first time hunting Goats.

Tom

Tom - It all depends on which areas they open. They typically only open 3 or 4 of the subunits, depending on what the harvest numbers were for the general season. Furthermore, at least one of the subunits (the one just to the East of Tern Lake...can't remember the number) is restricted to archery-only for the registration hunt. It can be a great time of year to hunt goats, especially given the phenomenal quality of their capes, but it can also be extremely nasty weather and dangerous with icy rocks and even avalanche danger. I've hunted the archery hunt once. It was a great hunt, and I actually got within bow range of two billies. It was my first time bowhunting in cold weather, however, and I didn't take into account my big jacket. When I released the arrow my string caught my jacket. As the arrow bounced off the rocks the goats didn't even look back...game over. It was fun, but I also made a huge mistake when it comes to goat hunting. I did not go down the way I came up. Hours later and well after dark I finally made it out of the seemingly easy chute that I chose for my decent. I maintain to this day that it was the closest I have ever been to death in the mountains. The invisible glaze of ice coating the rocks was beyond trecherous. Take someone with you, and be sure your route is a safe one before proceeding.

Other than that, you'll have to wait until F&G announces what subunits are going to be open. Get at it right away, as they'll close the hunts once a small # of goats are taken. Also, pray for a little snow up high, but not all the way to the bottom. Goats will often move down with the snow, but once it gets to the bottom the goats will head straight to the top to feed on the windblown ridges.

Good luck to you.

-Brian

Default thanks

Thanks for the advise, I'm sure it'll be a great time.

Tom