Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow Pass Bear hunting

Default Crow Pass Bear hunting

Anyone got any useful info on black bear hunting in this area? I plan on hunting there is September after my brown bear hunt. I did find out it is a registration area, I have emailed ADFG about when the permits would be available but have not heard back yet. Attahced is my bear from last years spring hunt.

Thanks,

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Registration Hunt

That black bear registration hunt also requires you to have passed a hunter education course to obtain. Be aware of the rifle registration area limits. If you posses a muzzeloader or bow qualification you can hunt a larger area. Check the regs as usual for changes. Good luck!

Default Thanks!

So the boundary that they list on the RL460 would be the rifle area, and outside of that would be the primitive weapons area? How do I get the certification for the muzzleloader/bow? I have the hunters safety card so I am good there. Do you have any idea how far the RL460 hunting area is from the crow pass forest service cabin? Trying to find out all this info is tough but I am sure it will be worth it.....

Thanks,

Rick

Is this the area between Eagle River Nature center and Girdwood?

AkHunter45 - Yep, that's the area. I used to guide hikers through this area every summer. I once saw 27 bears in 4 days, and I wasn't even really looking for them. There are lots of black bears in there, and some REALLY big ones as far as Southcentral Alaska goes. I haven't hunted it yet, but keep planning to. I figure that a late September hike from Girdwood to Eagle River would be the way to go. Pack light and plan on carrying a bear the rest of the way...sounds good to me.

Rick - If you're interested in bow certification, there's a thread on it right now on the bowhunting forum. You need to take a one-day course and pass a shooting proficiency test. There's details on the other thread. I don't know the specific boundaries of the hunt, but if you have questions about the area itself (terrain, river crossings, etc.) feel free to ask. I've done this hike more times than I remember, so I'd be happy to help.

-Brian

From my understanding the rifle area starts at Icicle Creek which is about 6 miles in from the ERNC. I've seen tons of bears less than a mile from the Nature Center so I know they are in there. Might have to make the trek in there someday.

It's an awesome hike, and you could easily get past Icicle Creek in just over 2 hours - not too bad a time investment. There's great campsites as well, though the woods are a little thick for spot and stalk in many places. I think that some of the best areas are up by Thunder Gorge, but that's 12 miles in.

-Brian

Default Great info

If anyone is interested in hunting during my time in September let me know, I hate doing this by myself but can seldom find anyone who is fit enough to make it any fun. You guys are really talking the place up which is news to my ears....

Quote Originally Posted by armymp71
    If anyone is interested in hunting during my time in September let me know, I hate doing this by myself but can seldom find anyone who is fit enough to make it any fun. You guys are really talking the place up which is news to my ears....
    I'd be willing to give a shot with you. I've been planning on doing this for a while now anyways.

Default Bear

I hunted the area a couple years back. About a mile past Icicle creek we saw 8 bears from the River Bed but they were all on the opposite site of Eagle River and we didn't have the guts to try and wade across. (without waders) If a guy had 4-5 days to hunt this is an excellent low cost area but really thick with lots of bears.

Good luck

Default Route Plan

Looks like the way I am going to travel is from the south side starting at the Crow Pass Trail Head, according to the USGS then cabin is about three miles from the trailhead. I will set up shop there and spike out from the cabin each day. The regulations say you can't hunt the trail or 1/4 mile on either side, but due to the cover it would be hard to spot and stock as mentioned in the above post. Not sure where the blueberries are but I would assume that is what the bears will be feeding on this time of year. The cabin is going to be cold at night so it should be an intersting few days.

It'd be nice to stay in the cabin, for sure, but I rarely see bears within 2 miles of the cabin. It stays so snowed over right there in the pass that the berries don't really grow. A better bet is just over the top of the pass. You sidehill on some glacial morraines for a mile or so after the top, and then drop down to a small stream. From there you have 3 miles or so of really open spotting with lots of berries. Right from the trail you can spot plenty of bears that are 1/4 mile or more off the trail. You can certainly go this far everyday from the cabin, but you can also camp down there. It can get windy, though...

-Brian

Default Thanks

Brian,

Thanks for the info, as long as the weather is not too bad it sounds like a promising hunt. Now I just gotta figure out how to get all my supplies packed into the cabin (got a mule for hire???).

Rick

Ah, it's only a 3 mile hike up to the cabin. It's pretty steep, but you can do it in 2 hours or so with a heavy pack. It's close enough that you can do two trips if you need to. By the way, have you reserved the cabin yet? It's a pretty popular little place.

-Brian

Default Reservations

Yes Sir, I have reserved for three days. Pretty cheap accomodations if you like a dark cold room.....

Default B_m

Is there a cabin at Icicle creek or is there just a camping area?

Default accomodations

I only know of the cabin which is at the other end on the girdwood side, I have heard of a few folks saying there are some nice camping spots around there.

Just a camping area at Icicle Creek. There are a couple of Yurts a mile or so up the trail from the Nature Center, but nothing near Icicle Creek.

-Brian

Armymp, I'll take you up on that hunt also if all else fails. I've tagged along with a friend who got a sheep tag and we camped out a couple miles in from icicle creek. nice area and alot of bears. never been on that side of the pass that your talking about.

I dont even care if I get one, I just like seeing people wack them. My dad got his first bear (hes from Ky) last week and I was happy as heck just to see a bear down.

Default No Vacancy

I have to retract the offer for guests, I just reached the limit for this trip with the addition of Blink signing on for the journey.

Thanks,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast