Thread: 25D Caribou

Default 25D Caribou

I have stuck out on the ability to get to either the 40 mile hunt or White Mountains Caribou this year, was hoping to get out and now settling on look for birds or predators, however I have often wondered about access GMU 25D, which it looks like you can access at mile post 147 on the way to Circle off the Steese highway. I have never drove past the hot springs or Central so I have no idea if there might be Caribou in the area or even if you can drive to Circle from Central this time of the year, provided the road to Central is not drifted in. Anyway I would be willing to sled for a ways but not real big on a 50 mile one way trip this time of year with the normally less than pleasant conditions off the Steese Highway.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thumbs down Probably not

I heard from a cabin-dweller out that way that there were some groups of caribou in the 130-mile area (a few miles shy of the 25D boundary) about 2 weeks ago but these are caribou and that was 2 weeks ago so who knows where they might be now. All in all, I'd say it would not be worth it to drive up there from Eagle River for a small chance at seeing some caribou in 25D.
    Blair

Thanks I will be in Fairbanks this coming weekend for other events anyway so thought the ride up the Steese might be worth a chance as I would have Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday to kill. If the weather looks bad we will take the sleds in to the White Mountains and look for some birds.