Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feels Good

Smile Feels Good

I have shot a lot of animals and I have caught a lot of fish but nothing comes close to when I shot my first moose. At least my Grandpa got that cow permit for Delta Junction and was nice enough to let me come along and shoot it. So the story is we went up the first time and we saw a lot of caribou and on the second day there on opening day right before it got light (season opened at light) I spotted two moose and we couldn't tell if either one of them was a cow so we waited tell it got light and they were gone so we went on our way and got to this other spot and took the four wheelers off and drove down this one trail and there was a rufted grouse and it was a really nice one shot it then we went down this dried of river bed and saw three rabbits I'm kinda slow so I only got one and thats all we saw that day and the next morning we got a call that there was some wind damage so we left.. but we took the long way back and i got 7 rabbits. so we go back again this time on November 7 and I got to skip school that day and at about 4:35 pm I shot my first moose filled with excitement I went to take a look at it and still excited started to gut it and what not and from there my excitement level started to drop so did the temperature as time passed I started realizing that it is a nice day in the neighborhood when you get an easy road side moose.

I'll say it before someone else does. Is it legal to use someone elses tag?(not a proxy)
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Age Restriction

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I'll say it before someone else does. Is it legal to use someone elses tag?(not a proxy)
    I'm not positive but I think as long as your under the age of 16 have taken the hunter safety course and are accompanied by the permit holder it's legal....

Youth opportunity hunts...

Hunters under age 10 cannot have their bag limit and cannot obtain a permit, but if they complete the hunters safety course and hunt with the licensed permit holder age 16 or above, then its A-OK.

Here, under general information PDF

Interesting. I guess I could have read the regs.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Its good to have a Grandpa to take you hunting.Learn all you can from him and some day you may pass the knowledge on to your Grandkids.

Great point! My only outdoors oriented Grandpa passed before I was old enough to remember him... Congrats on the great hunt do you have any pictures?

I have completed the basic hunters education course and it is very much legal and I'm over the age of 10 but still under 16

No I don't have any pictures and I still wish I would have brought my camera or at least bought a disposable one

If it is as you say it is, then this is good. Very good. Congrats to you and your Grandpa.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Congratulations there young man ! What a great experiance and a memorable one . I hope next year ( 2009 ) brings more success . Good luck . . .

Default Nice

Nice job Austyn, glad that you finally got one.

Good for you, and your Grandpa, for taking you out for such a great experience !

AKres, It is as he says it is. This is my nephew, for those who congratulated him thank you very much. He's very proud of his first moose, not to mention being able to experience it with his granddad. For those of you who jumped allover the legal issues, shame on you for picking on a 12 year old and don't even take the time to come back and congratulate him!

Austyn, I told you to take photos when you got here! Next time you'll listen to me eh? We could have always photo-shopped it! ha!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Smile

Austyn:
    Congrats on the moose. My brother and I got delta permits last year and filled our freezers with moose meat for our families just like you did. I have shot many trophies hunting, but there is nothing more exciting than helping your family get moose meat for the Winter and I am sure your grandpa had a great time. Sounds like you keep your family in rabbits also which is how I started hunting. They sure are tasty and fun. I hope you like your moose meat as much as we do!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default congrats

well there's not very many 12 year olds in the whole world that have ever shot a moose. great job. you have a fantastic memory that will last you forever with you and your grampa!

HOLY COW FISHONAUSTYN, your Moose hunt story is one of the best I've read on these forums!!.... It made ME feel good just to read it.
    And of course it really helps justify 'skipping' school for a day. Gotcha a Good Grampa too!

Way Cool. This is where it starts, a GRANDDAD and kid havin fun and passing on a tradition that is starting to slip away. Congratulations little man. PLS remember this hunt your whole life and GOD willing you will be able to PASS it on when you have your own son, daughter, grandson or grand daughter!!! U da MAN

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    AKres, It is as he says it is. This is my nephew, for those who congratulated him thank you very much. He's very proud of his first moose, not to mention being able to experience it with his granddad. For those of you who jumped allover the legal issues, shame on you for picking on a 12 year old and don't even take the time to come back and congratulate him

Way to go Huntress

Austyn, congrats on the sweet hunt. Your memories will live with you the rest of your life. The moments and memories you helped create for your grandpa are beyond words (at least this mans). You make sure to take your grandpa hunting when you can. Keep learning from him and teach him a thing or two.

Default Congrats

Thanks for sharing Astyn. No feeling in the world can duplicate a successful hunt with good friends and family. Many more memories to come and to share with others as you continue this great tradition that is passed from generation to generation. Keep it up and don't forget to pass it on. Congratulations!

RC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast