Thread: night sights on Glock 17

Default night sights on Glock 17

Need some help figuring out the sights on my newly aquired G17. They are fixed night sights. I have shot this gun at both 10yds (off hand) and 25yds (bench) to determine how well it shoots. At 10yds, I barely got 17 rds in a 1 foot circle. Same at 25yds - I am typically a better shot than this. I can't seem to figure out the sigts. Shouldn't I align the center of target just a hair above the center dot or shall I say right over the top of the iron sight? Maybe time for a new barrel? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by akscootdog View Post
    Need some help figuring out the sights on my newly aquired G17. They are fixed night sights. I have shot this gun at both 10yds (off hand) and 25yds (bench) to determine how well it shoots. At 10yds, I barely got 17 rds in a 1 foot circle. Same at 25yds - I am typically a better shot than this. I can't seem to figure out the sigts. Shouldn't I align the center of target just a hair above the center dot or shall I say right over the top of the iron sight? Maybe time for a new barrel? Thanks.
    Yes, it's called a 6-O'Clock aim. I have never had a Glock, but have shot a bunch of them over the years. They have all been very accurate, maybe the most intuitive autos I have ever handled. I just can't learn to like the plastic at my age.

Now that you know how I feel about them, if you are holding the same point of aim and it's shooting a foot pattern at 10 yards then:
    One, you are a very bad shot.
    Two, the gun dose not fit your hand correctly
    Three, the ammo is very inconsistent.
    Four, gun is badly in need of service.

Ammo and gun are the first things to check out if it's a used gun. Take it to a gunsmith that is good with Glocks and have it checked out. Some makers will do this at a very reasonable charge or even free if you send the gun to them, I wound check that out.

Andy

ADfields is right on the money. If you are holding the firearm with the same sight picture for each shot and they are hitting like you say then it could be a bigger problem. The nice thing is you can't throw a rock without hitting a glock armorer so it won't be hard to get it looked at.