Thread: Ruger Hawkeye RH barrel on a LH Hawkeye action?

Default Ruger Hawkeye RH barrel on a LH Hawkeye action?

I have a bead on a Hawkeye takeoff barrel. It comes from a Righty and has iron sights. Anybody know if I can screw this barrel on my lefty Hawkeye action? If so will the sights line up? Thanks.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I have a bead on a Hawkeye takeoff barrel. It comes from a Righty and has iron sights. Anybody know if I can screw this barrel on my lefty Hawkeye action? If so will the sights line up? Thanks.

Josh

Yes but you'll have the sights on the bottom.
    Yes but only in the southern hemisphere.
    No, only left hand barrels in left hand actions.

This could be fun, but I guess I'll quit. It will screw in the same way as any barrel but will need to be headspaced and roll the sights up and this may require some machine work to get thing to line up.

Do left hand actions have barrels with left hand twist?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy...I should have listened to my dad all those years ago and just learned to be right handed. Its hard being a lefty but, i suppose its getting better. I really like the sights on the Ruger Alaskans in 375 Ruger. A guy over at 24 hour campfire has a new takeoff barrel thats SS and coated with the Blackdiamond coating Ruger does at the factory for $185 if anyones interested since I cant use it. The NECG sights that come on the barrel are worth that alone. Cheers.

Josh

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr.../5#Post2650392

Another thought Murphy....it seems you're saying that if there were no sights on the barrel it would work but the lettering would be upside down right? Do you know if that is that also true for the MRC 1999 actions? Thanks.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Another thought Murphy....it seems you're saying that if there were no sights on the barrel it would work but the lettering would be upside down right? Do you know if that is that also true for the MRC 1999 actions? Thanks.

Josh
    No I'm saying it will work but may need to be threaded slightly deeper (one more turn) and then headspaced to your action. It just becomes a little more critical when you have sights that you want to use. The lettering will be right side up, when we set a barrel back, keeping sights, etc, it is cut one full turn more threads. This keeps the sights up andeverything fits.

I'm with you it is a buy and they are very good sights. I'm pretty sure you can use it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy. I appreciate your input. I will ask the guys who sponsor this forum if they would be willing to do it. Cheers.

The Dude

Default goog to go

Ok Murphy, I just got off the phone with one of the guys at Alaska Custom Guns who confirmed your assesment. I appreiciate your time.

The Dude