Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear crack

Default Bear crack

Spring bear hunting is around the corner and this may help some folks out of a stinky situation. Punn intended.

I was reading over the regs and noticed a small blurb about scents in the "May NOT take game by" section.

I am not sure if everyone noticed this, but scents may only be used for ungulates or blackbears ONLY under a black bear baiting permit.

I know most guys use bear crack at their bait stands. I was going to use bear crack at spots other than my bait stand. It is a good thing I caught this blurb before I did something illegal.

If this post saves one hunter from doing something illegal, unknowingly, then it was worth it.

Bear crack? I'm assuming to be a sweet tooth burn pot?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default You betcha

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Bear crack? I'm assuming to be a sweet tooth burn pot?
    Yep - bear crack - many variations, all lead to the same premise:
    Sweet smell, persistent smell, causes bears to eat metal.

Heat Source
    Marshmallow
    Kool-aid

Variations may add vanilla, anise, or other extracts.

Melt the marshmallows.
    Add the kool-aid - I prefer 'cherry' it is very pungent, plus I can see where I put it from quite aways.

Pour the molten mixture on your barrel, bait, etc. Whatever you pour it on will be DESTROYED.
    I got some on a tree root, the root was unearthed, the root was turned into bear toothpicks.

I don't know that crack is the right word - but I can say that if there's a bear hitting your stand, it will eat the pan the stuff was made in (true).

Have fun!

Default Bear Baiting with crack

I've noticed on the Outdoor Channel that all the out of state DIY bowhunters were boiling bear crack, and wondered whether they had the appropriate permit to bait....This reminds me of the Larry Czonka run in with the law for filming in PWS without a commercial permit.

Default Bump

I thought this might be worth a bump up to the top.

Default curious...

Why use scent away from a stand site?

Or, if it's in conjunction with a stand/bait site, why would it be illegal?

One scenario,

A guy does a walk-in for black bears. He can not carry the hundreds of pounds of dogfood and a barrel for baiting. Instead he carries his crack formula, a propane burner and now has an instant bait site.

Another scenario,

A guy is float hunting and does not want to pay a bunch of money to fly-in the equipment to the headwaters. Same idea. Weight is an issue, use the crack alone and it works!!

It is not illegal at a registered site. It is only illegal to use if not at a registered site.

Default follow-up question

What does it take to make it a "registered site"?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    What does it take to make it a "registered site"?

about 10 min at a F&G office with a location of where you are hunting. you are allowed to register TWO stands each stand must be maintained by the registered hunter though others may hunt it with permission.... ( that is the condensed version) if you know where you will be flying floating into.. you can preregister that site and carry your permit in with you...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Good help

Thanks for the info!

With all of the talk of bear baiting on the forum, I figured another bump on this might be worthy.

Will spring ever get here?

We used to boil honey and let the bears come to us, it was very effective. Made for an interesting camping trip/ bear hunt.

Yep. Scent (bear crack) is "bait" according to the regs.

Default Baiting Class

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    about 10 min at a F&G office with a location of where you are hunting. you are allowed to register TWO stands each stand must be maintained by the registered hunter though others may hunt it with permission.... ( that is the condensed version) if you know where you will be flying floating into.. you can preregister that site and carry your permit in with you...
    If you're going to be baiting in unit 20, (and a couple other areas if I'm not mistaken) you'll have to attend the Bear Baiting Clinic given by ADF&G. It's usually only given a few weeks before baiting opens each year so if you need the class I'd call and check on the dates.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Default Areas Requiring Baiting Clinic

Had to look it up real quick. The class is required for baiting black bears in areas: 6D, 7, 14A, 14B, 15, 16A, or 20B. It's a one time deal and it's pretty informative. At least the one I attended was. Sitting out this season in Iraq so leave a few bruins for me guys. Good luck fellas.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Default Anything

Anything that affects the olfactory senses is basically a bait and falls under the guidelines of baiting. Incense sticks, jelly burns, anise oil on your boots...... if it affects the olfactory senses it is considered baiting.

And yes, I teach the course.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Anything that affects the olfactory senses is basically a bait and falls under the guidelines of baiting. Incense sticks, jelly burns, anise oil on your boots...... if it affects the olfactory senses it is considered baiting.

And yes, I teach the course.

well that means my hunting partner is bait... cause sometimes he really stinks!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile Alaska F&G Bear Baiting Clinic Now Online

I just noticed today, it is online. It is pretty fast and easy. I went through the bear identification video so in total, it took about 1.5 hours to complete.

you kno what....last year, on march 30th we were comin back from fishin summit lake on the KP (ice fishing) and comin back thru turnagain pass, we look off to the right side of the road and theres a freakin black bear limpin off toward the hills....we jump out the rig, strap on snowshoes, grabbed the 338 wm we jus happened to have handy and took off after him, chased him the required distance off the road and shot him....he had been either hit by a snowmachine, avalanche, or a car, cuz his foot was shattered and fresh blood drippin, anyway, he was light enough that i could pick him up high with one arm!, round 100lbs but 5'8" tall, just skin and bones really....never saw a bear up that early in that area, but ive seen tracks in january.

Online bear baiting clinic? What'll they think of next. Wouldn't want anyone to possibly meet someone who actually knows what they're doing, could give some advice or just meet some fellow hunters they might otherwise never have met. The days of face to face interaction are fading fast, even in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast