Thread: Spring bear hunting

Smile Spring bear hunting

I'd like to hunt some BEARS, Armed only with my skill at Muay Thai Kickboxing. Any thoughts on bait or no bait?

Default anise

roll around in anise

Default muay thai Bear

I'm laughing even harder than when I wrote the post. I don't know MUAY THAI , FROM A MOOWIE COW ,

Bacon grease soaked into wool clothing should work fine.Don't use the dirty boxing part unless its a big bear.Muay Thai should be plenty for up to the average 8 footer thats sill sleepy.I would suggest though a friend back you up with a Steven Crackshot shootin lr solids in case a really really big one comes in

Default bait

I would put a fish down your pants, just make it down the front incase you see a women out in the field. You don't want them to think you crapped your pants.

Terry

Smile

Well if you are serious about the bait or no bait.... I have tried both. Baiting is serious fun and a kick in the pants. Its really a challenge and enables you to pick your trophy and watch bears in terrain you otherwise would never see them. But that said I prefer glassing for bears. I just cant sit still that long. I love hiking and hunting and need to keep moving. Sitting and letting the bugs eat me alive is no fun and I would rather hike for my bears. But baiting is really a challenge and be sure to buy a trail camera to time the bears visits to save you lots of time and effort guessing when hes coming. And use lots of sweets which is what the bears like. Black bear meat is awesome!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default What?

Roll around in anise? Isn't this a family web site???

No Bait.

For Brown Bears ,I use a snogo in early April, after a day or two of warm...warm enough to make puddles in the road.Wakes them up, every time.
    I check out Mountain ridges for tracks, that were left when THEY were hunting along in the last day or so. Gas up and follow, glassing ahead and around.Real easy to find their holes then too, and wait. Sometimes there a few in there to choose from.
    Its fairly open country, with stands of trees but on open Tundra, Bears look like shiny balls of fur.
    Spring Brown Bears taste quite good, after a winter of burning all that fishy fat.
    I like to hunt with my kids along and let them shoot.
    The oldest boy and his .243W.

In August , I go to a favorite place between here and Selawik along the Kivlukvuks, up to Singaagruk creek, and glass the open vallys. Dense Blue Berrys are here, and Blacks abound.
    I got 3 in one day once.
    No dead Salmon smell, only SWEEEEET Black Bear Meat, fat and juicy!!

The only meat better then March Female Caribou.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    No Bait.

For Brown Bears ,I use a snogo in early April, after a day or two of warm...warm enough to make puddles in the road.Wakes them up, every time.
    I check out Mountain ridges for tracks, that were left when THEY were hunting along in the last day or so. Gas up and follow, glassing ahead and around.Real easy to find their holes then too, and wait. Sometimes there a few in there to choose from.
    Its fairly open country, with stands of trees but on open Tundra, Bears look like shiny balls of fur.
    Spring Brown Bears taste quite good, after a winter of burning all that fishy fat.
    I like to hunt with my kids along and let them shoot.
    The oldest boy and his .243W.

In August , I go to a favorite place between here and Selawik along the Kivlukvuks, up to Singaagruk creek, and glass the open vallys. Dense Blue Berrys are here, and Blacks abound.
    I got 3 in one day once.
    No dead Salmon smell, only SWEEEEET Black Bear Meat, fat and juicy!!

The only meat better then March Female Caribou.....

So Strangerinastrangeland, is a 270 big enough for brown bear?
    Congrats to your son & his 243!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Be the bait!

Ther ya go,"Be the bait"....bacon grease yerself up and take your .270...... Place your shot well and be happy....if that dont work, shoot again.

I often use a Mosin Nagant. Just like the '06 or .243w, all will go right through a Brown, and busting the spine on a Bear is best. I aim at the neck just in front of the shoulder , or , if I have a moment to aim, its between the eye and ear. It is Very thin there, and most all calibers can have a definit effect hitting there.. They drop like Newtons apple.