Thread: Some thoughts on e-caller stand set up

Default Some thoughts on e-caller stand set up

I thought I would take a few minutes to talk about some of the success I've been having with my new home made e-caller. I've been using the e-caller almost exclusively since I put it together.

What I have found is that it is a most valued tool. Since I've been using it I am seeing critters on about half of my stands. I've been using my e-caller like I would a calling partner. This is cool because there is no discussion on where to sit and who is going to do what and when. Just set it down and turn it on! How ever, there seems to be just as much thought that goes in to stand set up as there would be with two callers.

What I have been doing is, looking at the area I am calling.

#1 Determine wind direction (so far every single critter I have called has come in from down wind)

#2 Make an educated guess on where I would come to the call if I was a critter coming from down wind. (Yesterday I made a stand in a pretty tight wooded area with high ground over looking a well traveled rabbit trail. I determined that if I was a critter coming in form down wind to the call, that would be where I would come from.)

#3 Find the best possible shooting lane along the trail. (I have been trying to find a spot to shoot from that not only has a clear shooting lane, but also provides enough cover for the critter to feel safe while making the approach. Ive also tried to set up where I can see the critter coming for a little ways so I can get ready for the shot. Keep in mind that when I say "get ready for the shot" this is more of a mental get ready, not a physical movement get ready. I screwed up on this part yesterday and it cost me a fox. It is very hard for me to not get excited when I have one on the hook, and just sit there until he is fully in the shooting lane.

#4 Figure out where to place the caller to give myself the greatest advantage. (I have been setting the caller up wind from where I am sitting. This has been working great for me how ever I don't think I have been setting up far enough away from the call. The idea is to get the critter to come in from down wind in between you and the caller, thus not being winded and having all of the critters attention on the source of the sound. It's amazing to me how much a guy can learn on one stand, especially if it's a blown stand. Usually you know exactly what you did wrong to blow the stand. The trick is to apply the newly learned experience to you're next stand. This is easier said than done because each stand is so much different from the last. ie, wind direction, terrain, cover.

These are four things that I am trying to concentrate on when choosing a place to make a stand. I think if I can master these aspects of set up, my success rates are going to go way up. Just a few thoughts on what I have learned in the last few weeks since putting my caller together. Every ones thoughts and ideas on this one are more than welcome!

Shoe

Great thread Snow,

I to have made a home made deal with just an MP3 player and some internet downloads. are some calls working better than others for you??

My success has been poor so far but it keeps me going back out.I'll be sure and put some of your thoughts to good use.

Default Badgerfly

It's kind of funny, I started off this thread with it titled " bird sounds with the e-caller". Some how I got off on a tangent and ended up talking about stand set ups instead??? Hmmm, well what I have been trying are several different bird distress, bunny distress combos. last week I played one that is total of about 8 minutes long that starts out with 2 minutes of silence (about enough time to start the call and get back to where you are going to sit, since I am not yet wireless.)Then it goes to this fox growling and barking sequence for about a minute and a half. Then wood pecker in distress for the rest of the time. I have my mp3 player set on loop so it plays over and over until I shut it off. I called two fox in with this sequence during night set ups. The one I used yesterday started off with 2 min. of silence then went in to rabbit in distress for about 1 min. then 1 min. silence 1 min. rabbit dist. 1min. silence then magpie call for about 2 min. then about 2 min. of magpie hawk fighting then 1 min. silence 1 min. rabbit dist. 1 min. silence then finish it up with raven call. Yesterday's calling session had a fox show about half way through the raven part of the sequence on the first play. Hope this helps, it's kind of all jammed together and hard to read.

Shoe

Are you using downloads from Western Rivers or some other source?

I like your sequences, I guess I'm going to have to get busy with some Ipod work to make an effective sequence. The only long ones I have (16 & 20 minutes) include coyote growls/barks/howls which don't do much good for fox or lynx coming in.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Akmud

All of the sounds that I am using are from western rivers and varmint al's. I think all of the links can be found in the archives for those who want to look them up. (special thanks to arrowslinger for gathering them all up and pming me with them!) I could probably forward that pm to any one that wants that info.

On Varmint Al's web page he also has a link for a free software (trial version) download from gold wave. I did this download and spent about 4 or 5 hours figuring out how to link different sounds together. You can do as many mods to the sounds as you want if you have the paitience to figure out how to do it, (I don't)

I think we have the same 16 and 20 minute sequences from varmint al. I don't care for either of these because of the obvious coyote theme. I think those sequences are a great way to scare off lynx and fox.

Shoe

Thanks again for the info Shoe, I too use the western and varmint Al's site's. New info always helps out.

Default Re-fresh

Just thought I'd bring this thread back to the top of the page since there are a few people asking e-caller questions. Hope it helps.

Shoe

Default great info

Thanks for putting that info out......I have been calling all over the place and at diff times and not having much luck. Called in a coyote about 250yds and the STUPID varmit granades that I loaded were tumble'n all over the place and I couldnt hit a 2'x2' target at 50yds. (that cost me a nice yote). Then we called in a fox and that sorry sucker came up behind us and by the time we saw him it was too late. That may sound like we are having SOME luck but we call almost every weekend for hours and dont seem to be makin it happen. Thanks for the info agian, hopefully I can get out in the next few days and try some diff set-ups and maybe some diff calls. Just gotta wait for it to warm up, its -45 today and I aint huntin in that crap.

Default Texhunter

Glad I could help, Hope it works for ya.

I have been using a Fox Pro e-caller and have not been able to call anything in using it. I also have a Johny Stewart e-caller and was never able to call anything in with it either.

Default 450

What kind of sounds have you been using on you're callers? Are you scouting for sign? You can give me a pm if you want, maybe we can reason this thing out.