Thread: bear fence, rain gear, caliber questions

Default bear fence, rain gear, caliber questions

Hello,
    I will be flying in for a caribou hunt in unit 20 and wondered if I will need a bear fence. I read reports that some of them sound like a predator call and I don't want to attract a bear. I could also use advise on what rain suits seem to hold up in the Alaska brush.
    I am planning on using a .270 for the hunt and was curious if would be a large enough caliber if for interior grizzly bears.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TallTimber

Your guide should be able to answer all of these questions for you. This site has a handy search feature. Click on the word search, then type in your keywords. These topics have been discussed at length in several threads. With a little time spent searching the archives you will be fortunate to find a wealth of useful information.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Rain gear is a Ford, Dodge, Chevy question. Some guys like Helly Hansen tops/bottoms. Others like synthetics that wick, other guys will wear breathable waders all day long, or the hip style waders.

Float hunts will keep you near the water a lot, so waders would be the way to go if thats your thing.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=43954
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Got a UDAP fence for a recent NW Alaska float trip. Worked great and only weighs 4 lbs. Runs on two D batteries and packs small. Packed in the provided bag, it is about the size of a 2L soda bottle. www.udap.com No loud buzzing sounds either. Just the faintest sound at night. I could not hear it, but the wife could (barely). It is a small fence and was just big enough to fit around our tent and 14.5' raft. Perhaps 5' of distance around them. I am not a hunter, but I would do some research on whether the 270 is ample. Lots of info on the forum in old post like 6Xleech posted. Use the search feature up top as previously mentioned. Lots of old threads on the subject that should offer some insights. For rain gear, I like breathable gore tex type gear. On most all float trips, we are in waders during the day anyway, so we just add a wading jacket if its raining. Always stay dry doing this. If you are not familiar, the wading jackets are used by fly fisherman. Many pack small and light too. Very waterproof. If you will be in waders, this is the way to go. I will put a pic below of me in the waders/wading jacket. I put a windproof insulating layer on under the wading jacket. Works great for our trips up north in Sept. For waders, I like the Cabelas boot sole types with the breathable material for the body. I hate neoprene. Sweat like a pig and tight fitting. If you are not wearing waders, look at the Cabelas Dry Plus packable rain pants/tops. Very good stuff and reasonably priced too. I will put a few links below in case you are interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0033341830660a

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat21162&rid=
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I should also add, on our float trips, we take a MSR Parawing. Great shelter and it allows you to get out of the rain. The new model has a different name. Check out the MSR website for info on the current models. This weighs about 8 lbs but is worth its weight in gold if the weather sucks. Plenty of room for four people to sit under it in camp chairs. Makes a nice cook tent. Better than sitting in the rain. Sets up easy. Order a few extra stakes if you will be on gravel river bars.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the information. I believe I may buy a larger cal rifle as the other hunters in camp will be bow hunting. I'm checking out the bear fences. I will check the cabelas store in Phoenix for some rain gear. I really appreciate the input, thanks alot.
    Tim

In regards to the bear fences, it's a personal choice. I have been stompin the woods for many years all of my encounters were fishing related. Perhaps I just have the luck that I pass them by.

Number one is keeping a camp clean, no food enters the tent, keep all food stored and away from the tent, hang meat at a safe distance. The fence has proven effective for many folks, so the added peace of mind is great. Nothing like doing a 7 day float hunt in bear country having to sleep with one eye open.

Makes for a tough trip. I'm gearing up for a future float hunt in the Brooks and I will be making the plunge for one.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Strahan referenced NOLS video...

In another thread, Mike Strahan referenced an interesting video by National Outdoor Leadership School involving bears (habituated bears) (http://www.nols.edu/resources/resear...fence_xl.shtml).

AkDoug's experience in a thread (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=37778) about his son's hunt, had a comment: "The bear fence you see above ... was only challenged once in the middle of the night. Something went crashing away from the fence ..deer or bear??"

"Good bears", nonhabituated bears it seems mostly stay away. Maybe electric fences give an extra measure against habituation - maybe helping you, or the next guy. If it helps you sleep better, it's worth it.

Also something to consider, however fragile, it is a physical barrier that completely surrounds your tent at night. If a bear came through the fence, the poles/charger/etc.. would be coming down too. This would be enough warning to provide time to grab some cold steel. And this is of course assuming the charge did not deter the bear. Nearly all reading I have done suggest that is likely no going to be the case. Kind of a win-win if you ask me.

You can also build your own fence. The parts and pieces can be found around town and/or on the web. Here are a few links...

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...rticles_id=174

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...ic_fencing.htm

Default 270 caliber

I would feel safer wih a 270 that I shot well, over a larger rifle that I didn't have as much experiance with. A well placed shot will anchor most any game we have here. If I was planning on being on the penisula or any of the coastal Islands, then I would take the time to learn to shoot a bigger caliber. I never feel undergunned with my 45/70. Just my 2 cents worth.

gunr

Default .02 worth

A .270 is not a good choice for a bear gun period . The .45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo would be a great choice , I'd look to the guides like Ed Stevenson for advice as to what guns to use .

Default Helly Hansen Impertech

Definately go with the Impertech by Helly Hansen. This is all we wear out in moose camp and it is quite rugged. Worn over fleece or even sweat pants you will stay warm even on those cool days. wouldn't go hunting anywere in this state without it. As for the 270 it will do if the shot is right on but if you can spring for a bigger rifle I would say a minimum of a .30 cal or larger. The 270 will kill them but if you wound one and get charge that 270 might not have enough to stop the pissed off griz!!!

Impertech.

Good hip waders.

Overgaard ! Is there any tall timber left up there after the fire?
    I was hunting elk up there a few months ago and there was pine falling everywhere; plenty of wood for the tent stove.

I'm in Sierra Vista.

KRS

Default tall timber

KRS,
    We still have some big trees left in unit 3c and the fire never crossed the highway to do any damage in 4b. They took some monster bulls out of the area this year. A fellow I worked with got a 6x7 bull that is a beauty. Only problem is he has to add on his house for the mount.
    Thanks for the help,
    Tim

Default Bear fence on sale at Cabelas

Bear fence on sale at Cabelas. I have one of these UDAP fences. Pretty slick.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...238&hasJS=true