Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fur hat pattern pieces and hat pics

Default fur hat pattern pieces and hat pics

Couple pics of some hats I've been working on. This one is what all the pieces look like cut out and ready to sew:

This pic is three beaver hats all done. Middle hat is what they look like with the flaps up:

Sure is nice to have a sewing machine for some of this, even if it is the old treadle I'm using.

Man, Mark, that hat on the right sure does look nice.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Pattern...

Mark,
    Would you care to pass along a diagram/template as I would like to make a hat for myself like yours. They look very nice and warm. Currently wearing a mad bomber lined with rabbit but have a bunch of furs that could be put to better use.
    Both myself and Steve, aka potbuilder, are looking for a pattern.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Also-absolutely love your pics and stories over the years, please continue!
    Thank you,
    BK

nice job on the hats, I agree that darker hat is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Mark,
    Would you care to pass along a diagram/template as I would like to make a hat for myself like yours. They look very nice and warm. Currently wearing a mad bomber lined with rabbit but have a bunch of furs that could be put to better use.
    Both myself and Steve, aka potbuilder, are looking for a pattern.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Also-absolutely love your pics and stories over the years, please continue!
    Thank you,
    BK
    You can get patterns at Black Elk Leather in ANC.

Default Thanks Upstream

Bushrat,
    I went to the Fairbanks Coop Ext and searched the website last night and could not find any info on fur hat making. I also found your other thread regarding the book you referenced and I appreciate that.
    Upstream,
    Thanks for the heads up on Black Elk Leather and Beads carrying a pattern locally. I'll have to stop in next month when I pass through town.
    BK

BK,

I specifically took the pattern pieces all laid out for Steve, thinking it might help him do a pattern...had meant to lay the tape measure in there for reference and forgot. Not sure what the paper was from the cooperative extension service, but recall it had a couple different hat patterns, one of which was Russian style hat. You can also get a pattern from an old hat if you wanted to take it apart. Anyway, good luck getting pattern from Black Elk leather and if you have any questions on putting it together feel free to drop me a line.
    Best,

Mark,
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to post those pictures, they really help me visualize what the pieces of a hat look like. I did get a copy of the Eskimo skin sewing book at the palmer library and the pics of the hat parts in the book look similar to yours. The material you use for the outside of the hat is?? looks like a suede type leather?? how about the lining ? i was thinking of using a fleece type material for quick drying (i sweat a LOT). When you sew the fur to the hat do you fold under the edge of the fur or do you just leave it straight and just sew it down?? Thanks again for the pictures and help.
    Steve

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Default Potbuilder

Steve,
    Now I have two reasons to come over. A discussion about your crab pots and now to get you to return that book to the library so I can check it out. LOL!!
    I'll also investigate the Black Elk Leather and Beads tip.
    Talk to you soon.
    BK

Steve, glad the pics helped some. The liner in that pic is a polyester type material. I also use fleece for liners. The liner when the hat is all done isn't attached to top inside of hat, so when you hang it to dry you can pull liner down and out (it's still attached to headband area) for faster drying. I also sew a loop in the top of hat to hang it for drying.

Mostly use leather for outside, but you can also use cordura. When you sew the leather to the fur, you sew it all inside out basically, then turn it after it's sewn. So you'd have the side of the leather you want to show on the outside against the fur side. No folding. What I do is use paper clips instead of pins (pins are hard to push through leather) to pin it all up prior to sewing. It's tricky with some fur to get the hairs pushed under the leather before sewing...sometimes you can only do a few inches at a time, then pin more and do another few inches.

You can hand sew or use sewing machine with leather needle. Main problems are not aligning the pieces correctly. When you do your pattern, make a mark at the center bottom of the ear flap, on both the leather and the fur (hide side). Start sewing up one side from that center bottom mark. Sometimes if you start sewing from side of hat you end up skewing things and then the two center lines don't match. Also when you start sewing there at the center bottom of flaps don't forget to put the leather ties in....remember it will be done inside out so the tie will be inside with just a bit sticking out...and you cut that off after sewing.

Sounds confusing <grin>. When you get your pattern done and are ready to sew, drop me a line with any questions. I'm making a lynx hat next week or so and maybe I can get some pics of the individual parts being sewn up. Glad you found copy of Edna's book; it's a good one.
    Best,

Default Edna's book - still available

After reading the 1st post & with mention of the book I did a google search. It is avail from Fairbanks for $12 + shipping. I ordered one & received it last night. Nothing wrong with the library but for under $20 you can have it on the shelf.

Thumbs up

Here is a link to the ext service for a pattern for a fur hats and mittens. You can't down load them but I think they can be ordered on line.

Mark those are some nice hats do you do your own tanning? I do most of our furs but haven't had much luck with some of the heavier leather stuff.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Man, Mark, that hat on the right sure does look nice.
    Yeah........And that one on the left is particularly awesome.
    Now what ?

Default Where to find Ushanka "Russian Fur Hat" Pattern

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for a pattern for a Ushanka fur hat, the Russian kind. I've found this thread and was wondering if anyone could explicitly tell me where to find a link or buy a book/pattern in order to make one of these. I searched the internet high and low and haven't found anything specific to a Ushanka. I could find a cheap one and take it apart, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks.

Very cool! How long have you been sewing fur? I started about 10 years ago and haven't stopped...lol You pattern looks similar to one that I use also!

Wolfwoman, started sewing fur as a matter of necessity after we moved out to the bush back in '81.

Making some hats again this winter, so if anyone is interested, drop me a pm.

Very cool How many different patterns have you acquired over the years?

Pretty much just do the one trapper's hat style of hats. And a couple different patterns for mitts and mukluks. How about you; have you done any of the Russian style hats someone asked about?

There is also a real crude but easy fur hat using two pieces if one is desperate and in a hurry for something, one piece that goes around the circumference, cut longer in ears and back of neck, and a circular piece you sew onto that. Works in a pinch, fur side in, to keep your head warm <grin>.

The ole Free Trapper hat, yup, made a few of those over the years for people that wanted them...lol I usually put a hard leather bill on them too.

I have a trapper, bomber, pixie and the Free Trapper hat. I have had someone recently ask me about a Cossack hat, but it seems there are 5-6 ways to make them and I don't know what pattern would be the original for it.

From what I understand the bomber or aviator hat is similar to the Russian hats, but the Russian ones are more boxy?? From doing searches on hats, the same ones are called several different names and it makes it confusing.

For instance, the trapper hat you make is also called a musher hat! lol
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

I had a lynx hat made for me out in the village, and I still wear it today. That was 15 years ago.

The one thing about the hat is that unless I were a cap with a bill on it, the hair starts to come down and freeze over my eyes.

I could trim it I guess, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Just curious, what is your favorite hide for a hat?

Beaver was to hot, marten was to cool, seal was to hot, and fox was to cool, Thats why I decided on going for the lynx.

These were just the ones that I used, I'm sure that all can be made warmer, but cooling them down is another thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast