Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Point 45 cal

Default High Point 45 cal

Just wondering what everyone thought of this hand gun for not having to pay alot of money and worrying about it getting messed up? Also has anyone seen this handgun for sale around Anchorage? Thanks for the info.

Default I have the 9mm

My brother and I both own the 9mm version. The only time we have had problems with them was when we were using reloads. With factory ammo (of any kind) they have both fed and fired reliably enough for a plinker. This was the first semi-auto handgun I had bought and for me it was pretty sweet. I have since fired some much nicer guns and the hi-point will only ever come out at the range. When the guns get dirty, they sometimes will not fully put a round in the chamber and you have to tap the back of the slide to get it to seat. Not something I have to worry about when my life depends on it. Also, you can't "feild" strip them. There is a pin that has to be punched out and it's kind of a pain with one person. If you want a gun that will go boom when you pull the trigger, that's about all this one will do. I just don't trust the reliability and accuracy. I remember seeing them at the eagle river fred meyer last summer and they were around 150$ for the 45. Hope this helps.

If it is all you can afford then yes, but I'm not the biggest fan. I bought one in 2004, and it is such a pain to clean, and jams so much I would never trust it.

If you really need to trust your life to a cheap weapon then perhaps the taurus .44 mag is a good way to go, and definitely better then any hi point.

Good luck

I'd only get one if I didn't own a gun and couldn't afford anything else. Even then, I'd upgrade and get rid of it as soon as I could afford a used revolver. Not a very well-made or reliable gun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I concur with what's been said, because it was like that when I tried one belonging to my SIL, in 380. I hadda hit the slide sometimes to get it to close, so it would fire.

Also, I didn't disassemble it, to clean it, because, apparently, that wasn't easily accomplished.

They are Single Action. I don't know if you can carry them safely with a round in the chamber. I think, I'd rather not.

I suspect some would function better than others. The price is right, though, so you might take the risk.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I think one way to look at is this, a new Hi Point sells for $145. For $145 you get a functional, but unreliable, hard to clean and service, probably not very accurate, ugly (if that matters to you, it does to me) firearm. When I was in college I was very short on cash but I wanted a handgun. Spending only a few hours shopping around town I found a Taurus model 85 .38 special revolver for $200 that was in fine shape. It was a fine firearm and I kept it for a while, but ended up selling it because I wanted a semi-auto. I sold it for the same I bought it for, and after another half day of shopping found a Ruger KP944 for $250, this is an awesome shooter, very accurate, rock solid reliable, easy to clean, warrantied for life, and fine looking firearm. It is sitting next to me in my night stand right now.

So you can drop $140 on a cheap gun that you can't trust, may or may not like, and can't resell for crap. Or, you can save a little extra, spend some time shopping around, wait to find a good deal on an inexpensive but nice firearm that you actually like shooting, can easily find spare mags and replacement parts for, can trust your life to, can resell for close ro if not more than you paid for, and can give to your son when the time comes that he deserves his first handgun. And if something does happen to it, your out a little more than if you'd bought a cheaper p.o.s., but you've probably got a whole lot more enjoyment and security out of it than some cheap brick of a gun. Just my 2 cents.

Default I saw one blow up the other day.

I was at the rabbit creek range about two months ago when a guy two lanes down had one blow up in his hands. A big puff of smoke and some cursing. He was alright but his shooting was done for the day. It was his buddies gun. Shooting 9mm cheepo ammo I think. (Wolf?) Slide was pointing up, frame pointing down with the barrel in the middle.

Makes me a bit leary of Hi-Points.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGunner View Post
    I was at the rabbit creek range about two months ago when a guy two lanes down had one blow up in his hands. A big puff of smoke and some cursing. He was alright but his shooting was done for the day. It was his buddies gun. Shooting 9mm cheepo ammo I think. (Wolf?) Slide was pointing up, frame pointing down with the barrel in the middle.

Makes me a bit leary of Hi-Points.
    Now, that is Scary. I must warn my SIL.

I wonder watt hoppon. Maybe it fired before it was locked.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

There's better ways to spend your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Now, that is Scary. I must warn my SIL.

I wonder watt hoppon. Maybe it fired before it was locked.

Smitty of the North
    Hello Smitty,

I'm not sure what happened. The owner of the gun, shooting right next to me, muttered something about shooting the gun too much. I guess I'd rather the gun lock up or do something less dramatic before it blows up.

By-the-way, what is an "SIL"?

Thanks,
    AKGUNNER

Default This thread reminds me

of a piece of advice my dad gave me once. He said "Never buy cheap tools and never buy a cheap gun. If you can't afford what you want, just wait and save your money." Now, I'm not perfect but I have followed this advice for most of my life and I have only disobeyed it a few times. Every time I disobeyed, I have regretted it. If you own an unreliable gun, you never know if you might need to use it for self defense. You might plan to only use it as a plinker but it could happen that el cheapo is the only thing available when SHTF. Do yourself a favor and save for a better quality gun. Smith & Wesson Sigma and Taurus Millenium Pro have a good reputation and are selling for less than $300. That's the way I would go on a tight budget.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Hipoint guns are one of the last saturday night specials, maybe it will go bang and maybe not. Get a good used revolver and save for a dependable automatic.

I picked up one of these and actually have been pleasantly surprised. It's cheap...it's ugly....it's heavy...and it's darn accurate! It has always gone bang and never yet has failed to feed. I also have Glocks, S&W, Rugers, etc and it has so far, at least for the short term, performed as well as any of those. I have no illusions that it will last anywhere as long as the better quality guns, but it's fun to shoot and if it breaks....hey, I just throw it in the drawer for spare parts and get another. I doubt that I would depend on as a carry gun unless that is all I could afford, but it has so far been reliable....at least for me.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Get what you pay for

I have one in 9mm. Got it to throw in my 4 wheelor bag when i lived in Utah last year paid $69 on sale at Cal Ranch farm store. It came with one clip and a lifetime warrenty. After a couple hundred miles in the bag (two months) the slide started sticking so I took it back to Cal Ranch they sent it to Hi Point at no cost to me. In 10 days I had it back, they had fixed the problem and gave me two new magazines. I have not had a problem since. So if you have a Hi Point pistol that is giving you problems they have a lifetime no hassel warrenty SEND IT BACK. I also own the high point 9MM carbine never had a single problem with it.

Default >>>------->

The .45 cycles more dependably than the 9mm Hi-point.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGunner View Post
    Hello Smitty,

I'm not sure what happened. The owner of the gun, shooting right next to me, muttered something about shooting the gun too much. I guess I'd rather the gun lock up or do something less dramatic before it blows up.

By-the-way, what is an "SIL"?

Thanks,
    AKGUNNER
    SIL is Son-In-Law. (I had previously posted about my Son-In-Law's 380, that I tested. I hadda knock the slide forward to get it to fire.)

This was obviously a treasured gun since someone GAVE it to him.

Yeah, I prefer "something less dramatic" to a blow up, myself. I guess we need to avoid firing those MAY-POPPER guns TOO MUCH????

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default My own Cheep Handgun Experience

This is from another (Previous) post

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had one pistol that gave me trouble. It was a Phoenix Arms 22 LR.

Iíd seen a write-up in the American Rifleman, that said it was the Catís Meow. A long time ago, you could believe what you read in the AR magazine. I donít remember the price, but boy, was it cheap. So cheap, I called a dealer and went ďFirst CabinĒ, ordered one in Nickel, and with the extra, longer barrel. It came in a plastic case with a lock, and cleaning equipment etc. It looked like it was pretty decently made, actually.

This gun liked to jam. Cleaning it didnít help, and different ammo didnít help, either. I sent it back to Phoenix twice, and they tried to fix it. Each time they sent me an extra magazine. I have 4 now.

The company is outta business now, (???) and (IF SO) partly because they didnít make any money on the one they sold to me, considering, their expense of trying to repair it, and the fact that I didnít pay much for it anyway.

One day I took my pocket knife and whittled on the feeding ramp and when I tried it, it fired repeatedly without a hiccup. I did the same thing on the other barrel, and it works OK too.

The amazing thing is, that this pistol is accurate, and has adjustable sights. AND, I have 4 clips now. Itís easy to clean too. I use that CCI Lightning ammo.

The only downside is that it has so many safety options that you have to get used to, and I wanted it for a pocket pistol, but itís hefty enough to weigh my pocket down a bit too much to be very easily concealed.

Itís about the same size as my Walther PPK, so I take it out pretty often and shoot it for cheap practice. Alls well that ends well, I guess, but I do wonder how long this contraption is gonna last.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

In the past I owned some questionable pistols. I had a LG .38 Spl. and a LG .22 revolver. Those guns had the absolute worst grips and trigger pulls. However, they did fire each time I wanted them to. Still, I found myself wondering when those revolvers would finally give out since they were so cheaply made. Actually, my trigger finger got pinched each time I pulled the trigger and that made the guns painful to shoot. Instead of waiting for them to quit at the worse possible time, I took them to a gun shop and sold them one fine day. I got something like $25 each which isn't much less than what I paid. Now I won't own any guns that I don't trust or that I don't think are good enough to trust for self defense.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

If you absolutely need a pistol to fire then you need a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffcutt View Post
    If you absolutely need a pistol to fire then you need a revolver.
    Or a glock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast