Thread: '09 Ski-Doo Summit 600 Rev-XP E-Tec

Default '09 Ski-Doo Summit 600 Rev-XP E-Tec

Any body have any opionions on the new XP's? Specifically the 600 E-Tec option versus the 600 non E-tec?

Wondering how they are holding up and if the E-Tec option is worth the extra $$.

Thanks...

I would stay away from the e-tec for at least a year. Motor is unproven to the masses yet. Plus it uses just about the same amount of gas and use just as much of oil.

Thumbs up 600 E-tec

False info from Above:

I and my three riding buddies each have 600 E-tec Summits. We have just finished breaking them in and have had zero problems. Do not buy one if you want a 425# sled with great power, handling and economy. The 600 E-tec motor is basically the 600 SDI motor with proven evinrude E-tec fuel/oil management technology used on their outboard motors for years. I would highly recommend the motor and the XP chasis.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbnek View Post
    False info from Above:

I and my three riding buddies each have 600 E-tec Summits. We have just finished breaking them in and have had zero problems. Do not buy one if you want a 425# sled with great power, handling and economy. The 600 E-tec motor is basically the 600 SDI motor with proven evinrude E-tec fuel/oil management technology used on their outboard motors for years. I would highly recommend the motor and the XP chasis.

woodbnek: What type of realistic mpg are you getting from that machine?

Default E-Tec

Woodbnek,

Thanks for your info.

I have a few more questions. How long have you guys had your machines, and how many miles do you have so far on them? Like the poster above asked, what kind of mileage (averaged for riding conditions obviously) do you get, and also I was reading the marketing flyer on the E-Tec which said an average rider would only need to refill their oil once a season is this true for you so far?

Sorry about all the questions- snowmachines are no longer an impulse purchase at nearly 10k!

Default 600 E-Tec Summits

We took delivery in November and the highest sled has just over 300 miles and went into the shop yesterday for the 10 hour check. We are just finishing the 10 hr break period and have noticed that the motors are just starting to loosen up. During this break in period we have had mileage that has varied from a low of 9 mpg after pushing deep powder for 70 miles to a high of 22 mpg riding the trails around Willow with my son. On Monday we played hard in the powder and rode a few trails around P-Ville and we all averaged 15-16 mpg. Not bad. Oil consumption has been about 1 quart per 100 miles give or take. I know of others who have broken in E-tecs that are living up to what Ski-Doo advertises on gas and oil production. (4-500 miles = 1 quart of oil and 20+ mpg.) That does not happen until around 600 miles though. The motors are programmed to allow for a rich DI mixture during this early stage. Hope this helps.........

PS. My riding buddy has a Gade with a 600 SDI and in his words, " get the E-Tec."

I've also heard nothing but good from the E-Tec. As far as unproven to the masses, the marine motor is not a new thing, just new in the sled. The real-world excellent gas mileage is out there with this....

Default 600

I have a 600 SDI and am super impressed with fuel and oil milage. This thing uses so little oil, I was nervous when I fisrt checked the tank. It gets great fuel milage when your easy on the throttle. My sdi uses 1/4 of what my 800 uses and i heard the Etec uses 1/4 less than the SDI. Bottom line the 600 block is a proven engine, and the addition of etec is awesome. I am getting used to the XP chassis, and so far this thing is great. Unless money is tight(whos isn't right now???) the E-tec will pay for itself over time!! GO E-TEC

Default E-TEC Purchase

Well, I did it-

Picking up the '09 600 E-TEC today after work...

Thanks to all those who responded with their insight and opinions!

Congrats!! Make sure to post a ride report too!!!