Thread: Almost don't cut it!!

Default Almost don't cut it!!

Well I was two for two today.......that is calling in yotes on two different stands but the first one only showed himself at about 800 yds or so and came off the ridge he was on only to never show himself again. This is a spot I've heard yotes changelling me two different times out so I snuck in that valley and only saw the one, I'm guessing there is at least 2-3 in there from the howls they were dishing out. The wind started to pick up as usual down here and I thought i was going to be busted by the sun as the only good spot or so I thought was the only good spot was going to be right in line with the sun if it did, but it never broke the horizion. Waited for more than an hour and nothing, so I left to go to another spot I've been kinda wondering about but this time I left the 22-250 in the truck and grabbed the 17 thinking a fox or a cat will show in this small gravel pit, but after 45 mins or so I didn't think anything was coming so I started to practice a little more on some of the sounds I wanted to use which wasn't sounding to good to my ears. But all of a sudden the squirrels started chirpping and then stopped and about 10 mins later I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and there stood Mr. Yote about 160-180 yds away. I was kicking myself in the butt for leaving the 250 in the truck. Well I practiced shooting at 200 yds with it so I thought what the heck I'll give it a try. Yup no go, pretty sure I didn't even hit him, I walked over there and checked for blood and tracked him a few yds into the trees and nothing so a lesson learned there.....Almost don't cut it. So that one took about an hour to come in, has anyone else been sitting longer waiting these call wise critters to come to your becking call, or whats the secret besides waiting longer for call wise critters? I did however change up with only a few rabbit calls and mostly bird calls on that set.

mike

Default 1 hour is a long time

Wow, I can't stay on stand an hour. I'm typically there for 15 minutes and then gone. Maybe I need to stick around longer though. Most of the critters I've seen show up within 10 minutes. A friend has killed a bunch of Fox and most of them show up from 8 to 12 minutes. Sorry to hear about the miss with the 17. That little bullet doesn't pack too much of a punch at that range, but good placement would've done it. Are you carrying a range finder with you while on stand? I'm carrying one all the time since I missed a fox at what I thought was 100 yards and turned out to be 215 yards. It was night time though and the light messed with my depth perception, but not anymore, I range all around my stand to get accustomed with where I'll need to aim.

dude, so sorry to hear that, that totally sucked, and then you went and educated that coyote oh man!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-16-2008 at 19:16. Reason: Language

Default I know I know

Yeah don't rub it in, I almost let him go. But a little voice in my head told me you were doing good on targets that range who knows you might get lucky. The only thing I think I might have going is a rimfire riffle doesn't put out the BAM that a centerfire does so I hope it sounded as if a big stick broke.........heres for hoping anyhow. No I don't have one but it's on my chiristmas list. I did noticied that when I got back into the truck my buddy left his in there, so I went back to see how far it was and it was close to but a little more than i thought. I was thinking 140-150 which I've read guys killing with their .17's but try 30-40 more yds on that. Yeah I'm thinking that now it's getting into the later part of the calling season all the wise ones a guy has to sit longer. He came in all quiet, but as I stated I was expecting a fox or a cat so I had planned on sitting an hour at least, so once again I'm learning something new today and again tomorrow.
    Last edited by AKmud; 12-16-2008 at 23:28. Reason: language