Thread: Cape info for in the field

Default Cape info for in the field

I was hoping someone has some information on how to do your cape work in the field. I can cape clear up to the bottom of the head of an animal but have never caped the entire head and never did any work on the lips and ears. If anyone knows of a good DVD or book on this I would really appreciate any help. And with space and weight being a concern for the hunt, what are the minimal tools for caping and fleshing?

I use a small caping knife called the bear cub by knives of Alaska, and a scalpel with replaceable blades. I would recommend that you get a local taxidermist show you on a deer head, as the process is the same for other animals. Wilderness Taxidermy - by Larry Bartlett, sold in the forum store is a great video made by a well-respected local taxidermist. That would be a great start, but nothing is like hands on experience.
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=288

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default thanks

Sounds great. Thank you.

If yopu have t ime in Anchorage before heading out, Russ Knight at Knights Taxidermy, http://www.knightstaxidermy.com/ gives clinics on stuff like this. He also sells field care booklets to healp in the field.
    Larry's video is also great and very detailed.

Default caping class

Archer's Den in Eagle river is having a caping class on December 18 if you want to learn how to cape out a head. Bob Madris will do the demo on an actual deer head. Go to the bowhunting forum for more info.

Thumbs up Caping

T.Leo

As the previous forum members have suggested, go to your preferred taxidermist and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about skinning and caping, and (probably) more. If any deer are still coming in at this time of year try to get with your taxidermist for a day or two. Its not brain surgery. And you can make small errors and it should not result in large scars, either on the deer capes or on your fingers. In the spring spend some time there and you can learn how to do bear paws also.
    When I lived "outside", I never bothered learning these skills. But up here, where game is harvested in remote locations, these skills should be "standard equipment".

Speaking of equipment, you can purchase scalpels at a medical supply store. And wear rubber gloves in Alaska. Often, our bugs are not terrible up here...(and sometimes they are). But do wear rubber gloves because when blood gets on my hands it often triggers a feeding fest for the bugs.

Good Luck,

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default get the videos

hey
    do like stid said and get the wilderness taxidermy videos by Bartlet. Excellent source of info.

The first animal I ever caped was my first spring bear. Not as hard as I thought. Just use patients, and if you think you may be getting in a hurry. STOP and take a break.

I also use a scalpel. Actually an exacto knife from wal-mart and I carry replaceble blades.
    I use both the pointed and rounded blade.

The last animal I did was my sheep from last year. Again not as hard as I thought. Just be patient and think outside the box. I couldn't find anything to stick inside the ears to help turn them, so I used a half frozen snikers bar!!

Kill a couple bears this spring and u will get some valuable hands on!!