Thread: trapping newbie

Default trapping newbie

What kind of wire do you all use for anchoring your snares to logs or trees, copper seems to be pretty spendy but the only thing I can find at the local hardware stores. is there something else out there thats a little cheaper that works well and can be bent to hold a shape yet strong enough?.
    Thanks

Default anchoring snares

Geoff,

Depends on what type of snares you are setting. For wolves, the most common wire used is #9 wire. Comes in big rolls and is very strong. For my lynx/fox/coyote snares, I have crimped #11 gauge wire to my snares. It will hold your snare "right" out there. I also use these wires to anchor my traps. For wolf traps, I only use heavy chain though. I ordered my #11 gauge wire through Minnesota trap products. You can order 5 rolls of it for $30 bucks. I think they also sell rolls of the #9 also. They will ship the cheapest shipping they can for you and they have a quick turnaround and are great people.

if you lve in the valley or anch. you might try Ft. Greens on the palmer wasilla highway they got wire 3 different sizes dont remember the size seems like 9,11and 14 I think and lots of other stuff

found it on MTL thanks