Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a lift?

Default What's a lift?

I have been paddling double enders all my life, but plan to get a freighter soon. This is my first post, so I may as well start with a dumb question: what's a lift? I see them mentioned in many posts. Thanks.

A lift or jack ***** lift as they are called is a device made to lift the engine when you come to rocks, shallows, logs, ect.... Here is a photo of one, it is the only angle I have.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Lift

when the lift is installed correctly you can lift the motor up under full power with only one finger on the handle [no effort] an when the river gets to be shallow about 6 to 8 inch deep you can hold the motor up an still make head way not fast, but head way. [sure beats walking an pulling] an if you make the lift so it comes off the canoe you can still car top it [beats the trailer]
    SID

Default Lift

Lift Picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default lift

yes that is a lift, but the other type functions better for ME, as the motor is right on top of the transom .so if your motor gets kicked up an locks up or you want to use reverse, or restart it if it stops, the motor is on the travsom not sticking out off the transom about a foot, the foot that it sticks out also works as a folium for the weight of the motor an that is somthing you don't need with 19 FT Grumam. the photo with other type of lift is wider than a grumam an it may not be that much of a problem with that conoe

SID

Are there commercial models, or do most people make their own?

Default Lifts

yes there is A maker of lifts in Fairbanks or WAS not sure, if you live in Anchorage or near I will let you look at mine, PM me if you want
    SID

Default jackass lifts

There is a guy named Pete at Universal Welding in North Pole that builds the lift on the Grumman. 488-2934

I am in Ontario, so I can't easily drive up to AK to look at your cool lift designs. (Though I would sure love to!) I definitely want to build a lift. I will start searching this forum and the web for plans. Thanks for all the info.

Default Lift

you will have a tuff time getting plans for a lift as there is a man doing it to make money, A small livind from doing it, an it is not something that just falls
    together,
    SID

Question Anchorage lift availability?

Yes, I'd prefer one closer to the transom than the one kk has on his (picture is down a post or two); I have the same Scott Freighter as he except mine is 18'. With just me and my 3 year old I had to put about 250# of rocks in the bow of the canoe to keep the bow down. kk's lift on my boat would make that problem worse.

Anyone know where in Anchorage or the Valley that I could get a lift like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    yes that is a lift, but the other type functions better for ME, as the motor is right on top of the transom .so if your motor gets kicked up an locks up or you want to use reverse, or restart it if it stops, the motor is on the travsom not sticking out off the transom about a foot, the foot that it sticks out also works as a folium for the weight of the motor an that is somthing you don't need with 19 FT Grumam. the photo with other type of lift is wider than a grumam an it may not be that much of a problem with that conoe

SID

Default more pictures

I agree that it would be good to have the motor close to the transom, like the type in the post by stid2677. Can anybody post a picture of this type of lift? That would be most helpful.

Default So..

Do we know anyone that is making these jack ***** lifts?
    How much are they?
    does anyone have a used one they can live without?
    Just let me know..
    It would not be a bad winter project for someone to crank out a couple dozen of these if a person wanted to..
    So why don't I do it?
    uninusulated Garage.... -30 degrees..
    need a prototype..
    other excuses are welcome also..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Lift

there is / was a man in Fairbanks making them on as needed. I was told he is a moderator of this web site so some one in Fairbanks needs to pass this along to him

SID

Thumbs up Jack ***** lift needed here too

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Do we know anyone that is making these jack ***** lifts? ...It would not be a bad winter project for someone to crank out a couple dozen of these if a person wanted to..... Max
    I might be a customer for one of these lifts too; anyone near Anchorage making them?

Default My Lift (Brag)

Hi all. Work been slow this year and after Christmas I tinkered around out in the shop and buillt a lift for my Osage.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...orVideo123.jpg
    That's the front view with the lift raised. That shock looking affair in the middle had a spring in the center of it. With the lift down it takes maybe ten pounds or so of pressure to raise it. I can lift it with one finger at the transom area. The handle with the wooden knob on it turns an axle that the 2 lifting wheels are attached to. The wheels roll past the acr and butt into the transom in the raised position. Look at the left wheel assembly and you can see a black clevis pin and a row of holes above it. This gives some adjustment to the 2 wheels. In this picture the lift is raised.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...orVideo126.jpg
    Here's a side view of the transom area.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...orVideo110.jpg
    Here it is on the water. We haven't had much river ice this year and I live close to the river so it's easy to take it down and try it out. Lift is raised here. That's my old 9.5 Evinrude.

I got the idea from looking at a lift someone had on this forum that was vice gripped to a table outside. I don't remember who it was but thanks for the idea. The two 1/4x20 bolts that attach it to the boat were originally just to 'jig it up' while I welded it all together and I was going to replace them with a hinge affair I had in mind. But they're so stout on there that I think I'll leave em. Used nuts with the nylon inserts and a small cotter pin above the nut so it'll never back out.

Works great. Easy to shift from raised to lowered position while running. Plenty of adjustment for height. If I had to build it from scratch again, don't know if I'd do it any different. I've been getting by for 35 years with plywood raised transoms and motors with shallow water settings. Didn't know there was such a thing as a lift, (except those cumbersome affairs that Cabela's sells) till I surfed this site last fall.

Tell me what you think. Zack

Thumbs up North Pole lift

Fishnngrinn posted a North Pole guy that makes them, here.

Default Lift

try putting a 2 X 4 on the top of transom , over time this takes a lot of ruff use
    I know it will lift the motor up some but it won't hurt

Smile Lift Builder

Just talked to Pete at Universal Welding in North Pole. 488-2934
    He is still making lifts. Has patterns for 17' and 19' Grummans.
    17' Osage, Colman Scanoe and 15' Grumman Sport boat.
    Looked one over, nice work. They are the gunnel mount stye that
    keeps the motor next to the transom.

Default pic

I don't think Pete will mind. Here is a pic of what he builds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast