Thread: Hide Cape Salt in Anchorage

Default Hide Cape Salt in Anchorage

Hey guys,

Have a hunt planned in Kotz for fall and would like to ship up some hide salt prior to the trip. Figured it would be cheaper to sent it from a distributor in Anchorage vs one in the lower 48, thus savings on shipping costs.

Anyone have a lead on where I can purchase 25 pounds?

Sams and Costco in Anchorage both have salt in 25 lbs bags.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default salt

How do I get them to ship it to Kotz?

Give sams a call, they should do bush sales. I would however, check with your air taxi in Kotz as most have a lot of salt that other hunters have left and did want to ship back. Plus salt may be for sale there in Kotz. Just something to think about.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

salt is cheap, you only need about 5 pounds for a moose cape. Is Kotzebue out of non-iodized salt?

Not sure if Kotz is out as I was told they only have table salt in 1 pound packs at the store and to bring our own.

Default Salt substitute

If weight is your concern with bringing the salt; you could buy the salt substitute that comes in a 1/2 gallon jug. I can not remember the name. I am sure guys will chime in with the info. I know it costs around $20.00 a jug.

I have never used the substitute, but I do own one jug.

A-lot of guys on the forum like the substitute and lots of folks dislike it as well. I am firm believer in salt. Any substitute would not work as good as salt. Hope this helps.

Default Strongly disagree-

Quote Originally Posted by watch4bear View Post
    salt is cheap, you only need about 5 pounds for a moose cape. Is Kotzebue out of non-iodized salt?
    Bear,

While five pounds of salt is better than none, in my opinion it is not near enough for a full moose cape! I bring a 50# bag on guided combination hunts and plan to use half of it on a moose cape. I cut my capes full, and flesh them out thoroughly. With only five pounds, you won't even have enough for a single salting, let alone a second application, which is required in the field.

I realize that many air charters are imposing severe weight restrictions, however the place to cut weight is not with your salt! You could lose your trophy as a result.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Hey guys,

Have a hunt planned in Kotz for fall and would like to ship up some hide salt prior to the trip. Figured it would be cheaper to sent it from a distributor in Anchorage vs one in the lower 48, thus savings on shipping costs.

I shop at Costco all the time. I could pick up a 25lb bag of mixing salt and send it up there. It may cost you a back strap, though. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Salt Substitute

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    If weight is your concern with bringing the salt; you could buy the salt substitute that comes in a 1/2 gallon jug. I can not remember the name. I am sure guys will chime in with the info. I know it costs around $20.00 a jug.

I have never used the substitute, but I do own one jug.

A-lot of guys on the forum like the substitute and lots of folks dislike it as well. I am firm believer in salt. Any substitute would not work as good as salt. Hope this helps.
    Glad you mentioned this. It's called "TTC" for "Taxidermy and Trophy Care". We've written a lot about it on this site, so do a search to get the gist of the discussion. In a nutshell, some hunters like it a lot because of the weight reduction, but most taxidermists hate it. When it's all said and done, the nod goes to regular salt.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Sources for salt

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Hey guys,

Steve,

Alaska Mill and Feed carries it by the bag. I don't know if they offer Bush shipping, you'd have to give 'em a call.

They also have game bags, if you need them to ship those for you as well. But last year they did not order the large ones, so I bought mine from Boondock's Sporting Goods in Eagle River. I didn't like the ones I found at Sportsman's Warehouse; they were too expensive and most were not big enough. I suspect you are caribou hunting, so you won't need the huge bags you need for moose though...

How are you getting your stove fuel and other hazardous / flammable items up there? It might be worthwhile to hire an expeditor to take care of all of this for you.

-Mike

Talking really?

Five lbs might be enough if you're only doing the head and not the rest of the cape. 25 lbs would be about minimum to get you buy...a little more would even be better. If one can't believe a taxidermist, then at least go by what Mike Strahan say's.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I consider 5 pounds minimum for a SHEEP cape and would prefer a little more.

5lbs is barely enough for a large fry at McDonalds let alone a moose cape that has inch thick leather. i'm with mike, but i like a bit more, a big moose cape cut long will soak up 75lbs or more in a couple hours and thank you for it. but 25 should get you by, just don't roll it up after that, leave it on an angle so it can drain and the air can wick moisture off, that way the salt can keep working and get more bang for your buck.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Lots-O-Salt

I take at least one and usually two, three gallon buckets of salt on all of my trips. If you keep the salt in the bag it will get wet somehow. The five gallon bucket has other uses once the salt is used and it makes a fine chair.

On last years moose hunt we used both buckets on two moose and I felt as if I did not have enough. If you turn the ears on a moose, you will put almost five pounds of salt in each ear.

I brought two buckets as well on last years caribou hunt. We did not even get into the second bucket on two caribou shoulder hides and one full hide.

For reference, two-three gallon buckets is about 75 pounds of salt.

You did not mention what species you were going after, so I put my salt use info in here.

If you even think you are going to shoot bears and save a hide, I would have 50 pounds for a bear.

I do not want to spend a bunch of money on a hunt and then have the trophy hide go to waste because I was to cheap to bring in the right amount of salt.

Good luck in Kotz!