Thread: Whitefish!!??

Default Whitefish!!??

Can someone point me in the right direction on where to catch these things?
    Even better, where to buy there things?

-Ben

There are not too many in this area, but I have seen some in the susitna tributaries in summer time. I don't know for sure where they are in the winter but I would check slow tributaries. I know you can catch them in the fairbanks area and out west.
    We used to catch them just on a small lump of salmon eggs.
    Good luck!

I have been wondering where the whitefish are too... I use to catch quite a few of them in the middle kenai river as a kid ~15-20 years ago, but only catch about one a year at most anymore. of course, i use to sit bait in slow water holes like superhole, and don't do that anymore, but still...
    I'm not familiar of any waterways in Alaska that have them real thick.
    I know of lots of places in Oregon and Montana where you can get them as fast as you can get any bead headed nymph in the water, but not around here.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Don't look in the Interior and points north ...the whitefish fishing was pretty poor this year and you can't find it anywhere.

Brian

If you are looking for whitefish as bait they usualy have then at B&J's commercial. But they are BIG for bait, 2-5 pounds.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    If you are looking for whitefish as bait they usualy have then at B&J's commercial. But they are BIG for bait, 2-5 pounds.
    Perfect size Laker Bait in my neck O the woods!!!

Try some of the rivers that feed the Big Su. We picked up a couple 1-2 lb'ers last week while fishing for rainbows.
    Curious-what are you using them for?
    BK

Chatinika river is full of them every time I am on it. Can be real tough run on your boat though. Check the water levels before you head out.

Default >>>------->

I pulled a 4 pound one out of the Kenai last July.I was right above the jeddy at the Centenial Park boat launch drifting pink yarn down through the little channel chute.Never had seen them there before,I walked it over to a docked F&G guy.He was at a loss also.Real pretty rainbow like sheen reflecting off the big scales.

Where can you not find them. I see them in nearly every river I visit to fish, south central, interior or KP, particularly slow moving clearer type waters, which of course tend to be more common as you move toward the interior and valley streams.