Thread: heavy bullets

Default heavy bullets

Does anyone have any experience with the 160 grain Nosler Partition in the .270 WSM, or the 175 grain Partition in the .280 Rem? Are they accurate, how do they perform on moose/bears, etc? I'm looking at buying a new sheep rifle in one of these 2 calibers (shooting 130-140 grain bullets) and am looking at building a secondary load with the heavyweight bullets so the same rifle can double for moose and maybe bear. Any thoughts?

With modern "premium" bullets such as the barnes tsx, I just don't see the need to go to more than one load for a given rifle. The lighter tough bullets will provide plenty of penetration for the heaviest of game. I'm keen on the one gun one load theory, get a good load, learn it's trajectory, and keep life simple.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the 160 grain Nosler Partition in the .270 WSM, or the 175 grain Partition in the .280 Rem? Are they accurate, how do they perform on moose/bears, etc? I'm looking at buying a new sheep rifle in one of these 2 calibers (shooting 130-140 grain bullets) and am looking at building a secondary load with the heavyweight bullets so the same rifle can double for moose and maybe bear. Any thoughts?

I've never fired a Nosler bullet that wasn't accurate. I have not used the 160 in the 270 WSM but have in the 270 Win. and it was a dandy. I have also used a 140 partition in the 6.5 WSM and it was a .5 MOA load.

I also think the way you do about with one caliber, different loads for different applications. I think the 270/7mm 130-140 grains as a good sheep/deer rifle and 160-175 for heavier stuff. As much as I do like Nosler partitions, I would suggest the stronger built Swift A-frame with the WSM velocity and heavier, moose sized critters. If one can own more than one rifle, certainly a 270 class and a 338/375 class would make choices on different sizes of big game easier. But to make one caliber work for an extreme range of game sizes it takes a good selection of bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?