Thread: Here's how it went

Default Here's how it went

My dad and I were the first ones out in the TA on Ft. Rich I chose to hunt. Got out a tad to early but was nice, little chilly though. Walked a couple miles then seen another guy coming. Turned around walked another half or more of a mile. See one guy and back pack 60 or so yards in front of him. He was on the PHONE! Just our luck you know. So we chat a second and head down past him. Then decide to head back up where we had come from as nobody was there now, the guy coming down passed us. So two hunters which is not too bad for opening day.

So we are headed back up and see nothing still. Turn around and head back down. A little ways back down and we both kinda notice some thing in the woods. Just a nose and ear is all that was showing as the cow was facing us bedded down. Then an ear twitched and confirmed it was moose! It proceeded to eat a branch or something down low on the tree and the tree moved. The moose stands up but looked small. My dad is yelling shoot shoot shoot. I said no it is a calf. I stalk in from 60+ to 30ish yards. Still looked bigger than this years calf but just not sure about being legal you know. So I pass it up.

We walk the direction we had not been to yet today, further down. Not much sign and couple other hunters went that way. So we turn back around, getting close to 11:30am or 12pm, didn't have access to time. We get close to where the other guy busted trail into his moose and there was another cow or the same calf. 26 yards off the trail. Again my dad says, shoot shoot shoot. I climb up on the highest spot in the brush line and let one rip. I hit low and just missed the heart and nailed the elbow, right below the shoulder blade later found the broad head burried into the knuckle joint intact but the thread busted off. I seen the arrow drop instantly and though WHAT! It was headed off to our left. I know another arrow but there was a branch with little twigs hanging. The twigs in the way but I let er rip. Good blood and path through. The moose goes a bit further. We are watching her. Standing there leaking blood like faucet. Lays down but won't go to sleep. Looked like she finally died but her head lifted up. So I put my release and stuff back on. Grabbed the bow and snuck in from behind her. Got atleast 20 yards away and let the 3rd rip. Right below the spine and popped out between the front legs with just he fletching holding inside the brisket. Whew moose down! and close to the TRAIL!

More info tonight and pictures.

Congratulations on a full freezer!

Stoked for ya!

Taylor

Awesome! Congratulations! It's always nice to be able to score a moose in time for Christmas

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

dude..........congrats! Im jealous cause my freezer is pretty empty.Looking forward to the pictures.

Default pics

Pic one is of me with the cow. Ended up with 150# of boneless meat. Not a monster but with the pressure we seen on opening day I am happy with my decision.

Second pic is of the 3 shots. The third lost the blades on the broad head. Arrow pulled out easy so must have lost them in the brisket area bone. Boned out meat and never found the blades. Didn't disect the bone though. The head in the joint was cool, almost full penetration and stayed intact! The third shot was just under the back bone and behind the hump. Was amazed at the penetration, but still confused about the blades.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 09-18-2009 at 22:49.

My butchering set up at home. Table is 2'X8'. 42" off the floor, easy on the back! 12' of fiberlgass sheets for this type of set up or shower stalls. Table is hinged on wall and fold up out of the way. Aluminum frame.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 09-18-2009 at 22:49.

Default Bow info

Parker Pheonix 34". Victory arrows with blazer vanes with 100grn Sonic Heads, thanks Bill @ Backcountry archery! Nap quick tune rest. 5 arrow quiver with rubber base quick mount. Not sure on the sights but have a 5 pins and a spool off to the side of fiber optics.

dude I love the set-up with the butchering table on the wall.My wheels are spinning now.I wonder If I get a set-up like that going I can get the wife to utilize it

Hey congrats again thats alright with the Moose and plenty of sweet meat.

Looks like you have some good eating ahead of you ? Mmmm Congratulations on your shot

Quote Originally Posted by ultra mag View Post
    Looks like you have some good eating ahead of you ? Mmmm
    Yes indeed. Has some fresh steaks tuesday and finisihed up one steak this morning with eggs and toast. Very good meat. Gotta love them cows!

Daniel in Ak dude I love the set-up with the butchering table on the wall.My wheels are spinning now.I wonder If I get a set-up like that going I can get the wife to utilize it

It was built for my 2004 moose hunt. I had a feeling I would connect on one. So I came up with this idea. We did 4 caribou in 8 hours on the plastic table that the paper is on. That piece of junk is only 2' high. My dad don't mind it but he is short. I wrapped the steaks there myself and my back was killing me. The big table is nice, sturdy, easy to clean, just the right hight, to my belt buckle.

It was around $500 to make. I bought the aluminum and cut it to size, had a buddy weld it for me. The wall panels are were $30 a sheet at Lowes. The cutting board material was close to $300 I think, maybe $200 for a full 2'x8', half sheet, from Alaska Rubber. Mabye the aluminum was close to $300. Very nice though 3 moose and alteast 6 black bears have been across the table so far

Note to self:
    No need to get experience with Sonic Head Broadheads...

Great feedback.

Thanks for sharing,
    Taylor