Thread: Cabela's XPG Ultralite Reviews

Default Cabela's XPG Ultralite Reviews

Need a lightweight tent for sheep hunting in the mtns. I am 6'8" and my partner is 6'7"..hence, we need something that is at least 90" long. I was considering the XPG Ultralite. Anyone have any experience with this tent? Good, bad...will take it all. Thanks.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Just read the reviews, they all seem pretty good. Looks like a pretty solid tent for the price. Especially with the $30 deal right now can pick it up for 129.99 plus shipping.

I'm guessing you are looking at this model tent with in the 3-man version correct??

Default What are you looking for in a tent?

Jason,

Although I don't own this tent it resembles my Halfdome tent from REI. http://www.rei.com/product/728308 REI usually has this tent on sale every spring for $100. I bought the REI tent because it is so simple to set-up for camping with the boy scouts. REI rates this tent as a 3-season tent and I would not recommend it for sheep hunting. I have had tents blown down on sheep hunts and have been snowed in on sheep hunts. I use a 4-season tent that is bomb proof with 5-poles and two vestibules.

I used a cabelas xpg purchased last year for my moose hunt. Not the ultralight. My tent was lightweight, and did not allow several days worth of rain inside. Also the tub floor kept water out.(I get some credit for wisely choosing camp spots.)
    I am 6'4" tall and slept easily without either end touching inside of the 2 man tent. The walls also went up steep so my head was not shoved into a corner. I kept most of my gear inside with me and had plenty of room, but, 2 men my size could be stretching it.

I am 6'6" 300 lb and picking gear can be hard. I got an incredible tent from Black Diamond. It is the guiding light model. Packs very, very small and weighs just over 5 lbs. Plenty of room for two with gear. Used it on two float trips now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Below is a link with more info. Speaking of Cabelas, I got their Boundary Waters bag. It is huge. Most roomy bag I have ever had and only weighs 3.5 lbs. It is a zero degree bag and very warm.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Jason,

Rei-outlet has a pretty sweet deal going on for a 3 person tent from Sierra Designs right now.

Similar weight to the Cabelas XPG Ultralite. However with the extra pole looks to be a little stouter for the winds you would likely encounter while sheep hunting. Plus picking up a $350+ for $140 and have it shipped to the REI store in Anchorage for free shipping would be a pretty hard deal to beat. Anyways its worth a look as well. Hope this helps.

Here is a pretty detailed review with more pictures of this tent.

I personally own the tent and have used it without problems. I have the 4 person one which is enough room for two. Bothe ends have a small vestibue that can handle your packs and boots

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I personally own the tent and have used it without problems. I have the 4 person one which is enough room for two. Bothe ends have a small vestibue that can handle your packs and boots
    I didn't know they made the XPG ultralite in a 4 person. I only see the 1-3 man models. Am I missing something?? Or maybe they do not offer the XPG ultralite in the 4 man model anymore.

I know they offer the XPG Deluxe in a 4 man. But at over 9 pounds thats getting up there for a sheep hunting in IMO.

They also offer the XPG expedition tent in a 4 man, but I don't even wanna think about hauling a 13# tent up the mountains.

Sorry Lanche,

I do have the deluxe model not the utralight one, yes it does weigh in at 10 pounds, but still only room for two. The 10 pound weight is also with the rainfly.

Default I'm 6'7" and I have this tent

Good evening,

I bought this tent in the 3 person version (and the cabela's floor pad) and I used MSR aluminum stakes (the red three-bladed kind).

I took this tent to Alaska in September and used it one night.

The tent was my backup because we had a forest service cabin. We got stranded one night and I used this tent. I kept the tent in my "shore bag" in case we got swamped or stranded.

The tent sets up VERY easily with lightweight aluminum poles.

I'm 6'7" 300 lbs and I fit just fine along with my very short 6'4" brother

Good quality 3 season tent, I think you'll like it. Not a winter tent but for a lightweight tent.... IT'S AWESOME ! They don't come much lighter.

KRS

Default Mtn Hardwear?

what do you guys think about this one? Lil heavier but 96" long and 70" wide. Mtn hardwear seems to get good reviews?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24254
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default I own the XPG (3 season and 4 season) tents

In short I like them, but I do not think the 3 season would hold-up in a bad storm, but it is pretty good. The 4 season version is awesome, but a bit heavier than a couple of other tents I own.
    I am 6'4" and both are plenty roomy, but my preference is the North Face Road Runner or Merlin. Own both of these too. I like the continous pole sleeves on the Northface, the foot prints are awesome (crappy on the xpg.s) and a must have, they are a more solid tent for wind and a bit lighter to pack.
    If you are located in Anchorage and want to see an xpg, I would gladly dig mine out so that you could see one setup prior to purchasing one. Heck! I might even sell you mine, if that is the tent you want.

Default Roadrunner 33

Here are the spec.s on the road runner. 91" x 67" Total weight 6 lbs 7oz, great vestibules on both sides. Each person can have an entry and storage space
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...specifications

Here arec the spec.s on the Merlin:
    http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms...SV&language=en

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    what do you guys think about this one? Lil heavier but 96" long and 70" wide. Mtn hardwear seems to get good reviews?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24254
    I don't trust the conventional dome tents like this one. In my experience if they are not set up with the wedge into the wind the poles will twist and cause the tent to collapse. The problem with putting the wedge into the wind is it is a pain to get in and out of. MH may have come up with a solution to this as I have not used their tents but I am speaking "in general" about that style dome tent.