Thread: One More Try 150gr E-Tip 30-06

Default One More Try 150gr E-Tip 30-06

I will hunt this week some with my usual load but next week when my 257Wby gets here and I go to the range I want to take my 06 and some more loads to try with the E-Tip ONE MORE TIME!!!! As good as this bullet looks it ought to just jump in the brass and fly out my 06 making exaggerated holes.

Of course there is the possibility that my rifle just does not like them - We will see.

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL THING - IT SHOULD REALLY FLY STRAIGHT

Trying IMR4350, H4831sc, H4350 and 748, Nosler brass, Fed 210 primers. I have bullets weighed and all are the same weight, once fired brass neck sized and squared off and they are all the same length. After this testing I will stop using them if they do not shoot well. The Sierra 165gr GK HPBT is the most accurate at the moment with the 168gr TSX a close second and Ballistic tip is third with Accubond fourth. The only one I will try next is the Partition. Will see what happens next week. It will be cooler, not much wind at all and I will have time so I don't rush the time at the range.

Waters on the 30-06 used IMR4831 and H4831 getting good accuracy with a 150gr bullet. Now his load was slower by about 75-100fps but it was still over 2800fps. I really gave the E-Tips a good jump the last time I used them, so this time I am going to be closer to the rifling. I believe there just might be a balance I can find between the burn rate of the slower powder and the OAL and get lucky finding a good load. I know one thing for sure, this round of shooting will be the verdict.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've been shooting the e tips in the 300 rum. I found seating them close to the rifling improved accuracy.

Hope this helps.

I hoarded 4 boxes of the 180's for my 300 win mag. I will give them a try when the temps hit 50 again.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    I've been shooting the e tips in the 300 rum. I found seating them close to the rifling improved accuracy.

Hope this helps.
    Yes, that must be where the E-Tip likes it because I was giving it a jump because I am so use to the Barnes TSX. I have them set close to the rifling at this time. Will find out next week when the temp gets down to the 50's & 60's and the forecast is very low to no wind.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I hoarded 4 boxes of the 180's for my 300 win mag. I will give them a try when the temps hit 50 again.
    I would like to try the 180gr E-Tips also and it would be nice to have the 150 and 180gr E-tips work well in my rifle giving me a small to med game load and a big game load that will open up close and stay together and at the same time has great BC qualities for down range work where they will open also. At least that is the hunting reports I have received so far from those I know using the E-Tip that it does open up at extended ranges and does it's job. Thinking about trying the 180gr in my 300Wby but it likes the 180gr TSX so much but long down range should be better with the E-Tip if it is as accurate in my 300Wby as the TSX and that would be saying a lot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS