Thread: The Dipnet Guy

Cool The Dipnet Guy

Hey folks,

If you're looking for a dipnet for those Kenai reds this year, I just ran into a guy who makes some pretty good ones. He'll also re-net (is that a word?) your frame if you need a new net. Here's the contact info:

Ron Fuller
    Custom Dipnets
    688-1271

He lives in Eagle River, Alaska. Great guy.

I don't work for him, I don't sell his stuff, he isn't paying me under the table, and he hasn't given me any free gear. Just recommending him because he makes good stuff.

-Mike

Default Dipnets

For many years I have watched the cars and trucks come by my home on the sterling hwy with every type of Dipnet you can imagine. I would like to see a contest on cool ideas and inventions. I have seen them with a wheel attached, and all sorts of different shapes. They guy down the road from me near the Moose river bridge, makes a very popular net. Instead of using an aluminum pipe for the hoop, he has a special football shaped aluminum tubing made just for him. It has a sharp leading edge, so when It is in the water it has less resistance against the current, and because of the design has less chance of bending during rough use. He is located on the right side of the highway about a 1/4 mile past the Moose river bridge as you are headed toward Kenai. Its called " Mikes Welding" Cost???
    907-262-1323 is his phone number. I have never bought one, but he told me he sales hundreds every year. His daughter dresses the Nets on them and its a family thing...

Because I'm cheap I've managed to get by just fine with a home-made frame. Absolute key is using a gill net though. If you dip the kenai with landing net, you won't get a one, as they fish will see the net, and even if one gets in, it'll be out before you know it. With a gill net, I've had 6 in the net at a time. Also on the Kenai a full legal dia net is useable, and will get more fish in a shorter period.

On the copper, you want a smaller net, as the current is much faster and will wear you out.

The commercially made setups are very nice, and worth the $ if you don't have a shop to fab up your own unit. The better ones are fairly light, and strong. Home-made affairs can be both heavy and week.

Looking forward to netting more fish this year!

Anyone know where you can buy the gill netting in the Anchorage / Mat-Su Valley area?? I want to build my own frame, but need to buy the netting. Need to get ready...dip netting is right around the corner !!!

Thanks...AkBillyBow

B&J Commercial in Anchorage carries the nets. I need to replace mine as it's seen better days. They make different size bags, bigger for the kenai, smaller for the copper. I used a big one of the copper with a small hoop, and often had tangles. On the kenai the big net is the way to go.

I just cut the big one in half to make it suitable for the copper, puts most of the damage away from where the fish are.

I think most of the folks that sell the complete frames also sell just the nets. I haven't priced them lately, about $30-40, and worth every penny.

Thanks for the help, Paul. I was also told there is somewhere that sells them in that little industrial park on 'C' street, kind of across from Carr's/Godstein warehouse area...just north of the F&G building. Anyone have specifics on this??

Thanks again...AkBillyBow

Default net source

Off C street.....that would be Donalson's or Donaldson's (forgot which) net shop (net loft?). All kinds of neat stuff there. B&J is a great place, but they can't touch Donaldson's for net prices.

Sweeeettt...that's the people that I heard about. Thanks for the info!!!!

AkBillyBow

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Absolute key is using a gill net though. If you dip the kenai with landing net, you won't get a one, as they fish will see the net, and even if one gets in, it'll be out before you know it.
    I have to disagree with you Paul. I use an oversize king landing net and do great with it. Of course the difference may be I dip from a boat. I rarely miss a fish unless it simply bounces off the frame. My best so far is only 3 at once though. Gill netting is almost a hindrance when fishing from the boat because it takes so long to get the fish free of the net. With the landing net I can flip the fish right out and have the net back in the water in less than 3 seconds most of the time.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow
    Anyone know where you can buy the gill netting in the Anchorage / Mat-Su Valley area?? I want to build my own frame, but need to buy the netting. Need to get ready...dip netting is right around the corner !!!

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    Saw some at the True Value Hardware store in ER. 'Bout 20 bucks I think. Green gill stuff.

Well, was in Anchorage today, and couldn't find the 'Donaldson's net shop. I guess I'll try to find them in the yellow pages, to get an exact address. Can anyone tell me exactly where they are?

I will use the True Value in ER as a back-up...Thanks

AkBillyBow

Default I'll second that...Ron Fuller...best net you can get!

I'm with Michael on that one. I've used a net made by Ron Fuller for several years now (new netting put on by Ron each year) and my only complaint is...it's hard walking back to shore with 6 Kenai Reds at a time in that baby...while enduring the envious stares of those who thought they were getting a bargain on a net at Walmart or some other box store in town. I catch 5-10 fish for every one that most of the other guys are taking when the fish are running through. Ron is a great guy, great service for a great product...WELL WORTH THE MONEY...unless you can afford to drive down to the Kenai multiple times with a lesser net. Ron will also give you tips on when, where and how to have a successful trip...when was the last time you got that from a box store? How tough are they? I caught my 55 last year and ran into a buddy on my way out...I talked him into trying my net (it had only a few small holes from the beating of the first 55 fish)...well he told me that between his families catch and a proxy he had, that he guessed he took another 90 fish with my net. Now that's almost 150 Reds in about 3 days with the original net (of that season) on it. Is it tough enough?? Yeah, it was a wee bit beat up at the end, but still good enough to attach some shells and other surfline baubles to and retire it in style as a very cool wall hanging!