Thread: Kenai Outfitter or Guide

Default Kenai Outfitter or Guide

I am going to be up in Alaska in May of 2009. I would like to do some fly fishing. I am really a beginner and was wondering if anyone knew of a person our outfitt that specializes in kind of beginner type fishing.

Thanks.

Default May

What part of May are you going to be here? It might be a little early, I think most guides start running in June. I don't know of any guides that specialize in beginner type fishing, but any reputable guide will do his best to put you on fish, and to help you catch fish too. I have never used a guide on the Kenai, but have heard D-Ray mentioned almost every time people talk about guided trips. A few of my friends have used him, and have nothing but good things to say about him. His website says his trout trips run May-Oct. Good luck, hopefully someone on here will have a better suggestion for you.

Jake

Most of the flowing waters of the kenai river watershed do not open untill around june 11th. There is king fishing down at ninilchik, anchor and deep creek. Lake fishing is open. The upper kenai, quartz creek are closed untill june 11th and i believe crescent creek is closed untill 1 july. I believe the mid river is closed to trout/dolly fishing as it should be too. I dont have a copy of the new regs yet but the kenai is always closed to protect the spawning trouts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't forget the Kasilof and lower Kenai are open for king fishing in May. I know it's not trout but it's hard not to pass up other fishing opportunities when you're up here.

The kenai river isn't a good fly fishing destination until mid june, when trout season opens and the sockeye begin to show up...
    There is some fly water open in May up north of here in the Mat-Su Valley (check with some outfitters out of Talkeetna, Wasilla, Willow, etc.)
    There is some great saltwater fishing out of the Kenai Peninsula during May, but very limited fly fishing.
    I fly fished Clear Creek off the Talkeetna River in May for trout and dollies and had a lot of fun... I'm sure there are some extremely knowledgable valley residents on this forum that would be more than happy to share additional info.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

The lakes start opening in May and are "REEL" good for begining fly fishers to learn how to cast, strip, and play fish. The fish are pretty productive during that time as well since they have been under an ice shell for the past 5 or 6 minths. It is nice to use a float tube or small cat to get away from the brush on the shoreline.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default yes

trout fitters definently does a good job on putting their clients on the fish, but if i were to get a guide service on the kenai, i would choose mystic waters.... everytime they float by me.... every siingle client in that boat ALWAYS has a fish on, i dont think ive ever seen a slow day for those guys... they must be using roe or something lol!

Default I strongly Second Mystic waters

I've fished with Fred Teleen (Mystic Waters) twice. Once as a beginner and again a few years later with a friend who was a beginner. Both times I learned alot and everyone in the boat caught far more than their fair share of fish. He's one of those guides who literally knows every rock, seam and overhanging tree that holds fish. Fred is in the freshwater fishing hall of fame as a legendary guide for a reason. If you e-mail him, he will respond to you and answer all of your questions honestly and completely. I have emailed him a few times just for tips and have always found him eager to share his wealth of knowledge.

http://www.mysticfishing.com/index.html

May might be tough on the Kenai, but their are other options that are worth looking into. As someone mentioned, the Kasilof can be good flip fishing, although I have had limited success with casting and stripping (real fly-fishing). A 15-25 lb king is a blast regardless of whether you're dead drifting a yarn fly or bombing streamers though!

Here's a pic of a nice Kasilof hen from a couple of years ago. I think this was late May. (Sorry, but you just have to show-off a beautiful fish like this once in awhile!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0346.jpg  

I'm sure mystic waters does a great job, but that doesn't change the fact that trout season is closed in May.
    If I really wanted to do some fly fishing during May, I'd head to the valley. If I was stuck on the peninsula I might float the Kasilof or give the lower Kenai a shot for kings, but I'd rather fish the salt (ninilchik/anchor point) hands down... however, true fly fishing isn't really a viable option in either of these places.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    I'm sure mystic waters does a great job, but that doesn't change the fact that trout season is closed in May.
    If I really wanted to do some fly fishing during May, I'd head to the valley. If I was stuck on the peninsula I might float the Kasilof or give the lower Kenai a shot for kings, but I'd rather fish the salt (ninilchik/anchor point) hands down... however, true fly fishing isn't really a viable option in either of these places.

Mark you hit the nail on the head. There are some lakes. AKA Watson that produces well for bows in may. Willow and those up north is a good bet if they dont blow up. Salt is a good option as well as chasing some butts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Mystic, Troutfitters, D-Ray, all are good guide services, but its moot cause the kenai will be closed to trout fishing when you are here. I'd reccomend talking to Mike at Susitna Valley River Guides to figure out options for that time of year, he won't steer you wrong. You may also give World Wide Angler a call and see if they have reccomendations, they are one of the best shops in town.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

May on the Kenai is a no-no.

The Valley would be your most likely alternative.

thanks for all the help. Gives me some good info to start researching.....