Thread: Taurus Tracker

Default Taurus Tracker

The Taurus Tracker .44 mag for bear protection, yes or no?

Wink more bear protection...

If a bad bear mauls you, and you survive, then you will need substantial physical therapy and rehabilitation.
    If you shoot a Tarus Tracker with that ported barrel, you will be deaf and you will still need some physical therapy for your sore wrist.
    But a .44 caliber Tarus Tracker (w/4 inch ported barrel) is easily large enough to end the misery of a bad bear attack so you will not have to endure the physical therapy and haunting memory of it all.

dennis

I think it is a good pick but look at your options. What are you looking for? What is it about the Tracker you like?

I do like the Tracker but there are stronger guns out there. The cylinder is also shorter than other guns so bullet length will be an issue with some loads.

Good things about the Tracker is it is nice and light. The porting does not make it any louder in my opinion. The grips are the best I have felt for recoil.

But.... The Smiths and Rugers are stonger and have full length cylinders to allow for really wrist cracking recoil ammo.

The mountain gun Smith is a nice gun. The Rugers are tough as nails but heavy.

I have a 41 mag tracker and my brother in law has the 44 so I have shot and loaded for both of these. I have my brother in law load 250 grain sillouette ammo by starlineI believe to carry for bears. I reload target ammo for regular shooting. Although a 250 hardcast at 1200 might do well also.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I've got a Taurus Tracker in a .44 as well. I got it because its relatively small/light/ and inexpensive. Its fun to shoot IMO. I even enjoy shooting it with the Alaskan Backpacker ammo 320 grns now that I put a houge grip on it.

Like RMiller said there are tougher guns out there (Redhawks, S&W 629s), but cost was a factor and my real reason for this gun was the lightweight. The tracker fit the bill in both cases. Its more accurate than I am and I don't mind wearing it while backpacking. Lord help if me I ever have to use it for the reason I bought it (bear protection). But atleast I will have it on me cause its so light that I don't mind wearing it.

However, it is still my last line of defense before just being smart in bear country and my wife is packin' bear spray. Yes I know people have thoughts on both guns and spray, but the spray is the first option and the gun is there if needed. That is the setup that works for us and gives us a sense of security however false it maybe.

You can speculate forever about bear encounters, but honestly I don't lose any sleep in the field laying in the tent thinking about bears anymore. There dangerous encounters but they are rare, however very real. The best you can do is be proficient with whatever protection you choose and hope you are able to perform if the situtation arises. Although no one really knows how they will do until they are put in that situation, which I hope I never am.

So thats basically the long version of saying, yeah the Taurus Tracker in a .44 mag works for what I fell I "need". Yeah there are better options for other people but what you choose to use to make you feel comfortable and safe out in the field is ultimately up to you.

I have a taurus tracker 44mag. Never had to defend myself with it but I enjoy shooting it. My only problem was I had to send it in for warranty work.

Question warrenty work?

big dog...
    What type of warrenty work did your Tarus Tracker need?
    Prepare me for the future.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    big dog...
    What type of warrenty work did your Tarus Tracker need?
    Prepare me for the future.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    I don't know what he had done, but I can tell you Tarus is a dream to work with. Their warranty is better than Snap-On tools, they do a great job and in just a couple weeks.

Andy

When I got my gun the cylinder didn't lock in place when fired in single action. So you could cock the hammer back then spin the cylinder freely. At first I thought it was a pour design, but then several people on this forum informed me otherwise. So I sent it back to taurus. They fixed it for free, I did have to pay for shipping. The whole thing took about 3 weeks.

I know there are alot out there that like their taurus firearms. My personal opinion is that you get what you pay for. Spend the extra dough and get a smith or ruger. I personally carry a S&W 329pd with the .500 grips on it. Love it.

Default Don't know about the Tracker

But I have two Taurus handguns. One is the Raging Bull in .454 Casull (the minimum for brown bear protection in my opinion) and the PT1911. I have been extremely happy with both. The PT1911 came with options that if were on a Kimber or Smith, would have cost 2.5 times more. Maybe when Taurus first came out with the Beretta copy, things were not quite up to par, but they are making a very fine pistol now, and people just aren't giving them enough credit...not to mention, they do stand behind their manufacturing. So what if it is made in Brazil....so is the Springfield Armory XD.....

My wife has a Tracker. She loves it. She doesn't shoot a lot beyond basic practice. It's light and small enough for her to carry easily.

In the "field" loading she uses mid to high range loadings in .44 mag, in the "town" loading she uses .44 special Silver tips.

I encouraged her to go to the .44 mag when I realized in the case of a bear problem she would probably be shooting the bear off me. That's, of course, only if my Ruger Alaskan in .454 fails to do the job.

We've rehearsed. If the attack comes from her side that is away from me, she know to drop prone so I can shoot over her. And yes, I'm very well practiced and fairly well accomplished with handguns. (Save the lectures on safety - this is ONLY for close in fast problems when I don't have time to reposition between her and Ursa.)

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    My personal opinion is that you get what you pay for. Spend the extra dough and get a smith or ruger. I personally carry a S&W 329pd with the .500 grips on it. Love it.
    The only thing you're paying extra for is the Union pay & benefits of North Eastern workers. I own all 3 brands, and I see no difference in material or workmanship. All 3 can handle the same loads. And barrel porting has no effect on how lowd a report is, it does reduce felt recoil by a small amount (The writer of that non-sense confused barrel porting with muzzel brakes).

[quote=AK_Greybear;395019]Save the lectures on safety[quote]

No lectures from me! A safe practice session getting knowing what one another are going to do is just SMART and may save a life some day. Good on ya!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    The only thing you're paying extra for is the Union pay & benefits of North Eastern workers. I own all 3 brands, and I see no difference in material or workmanship. All 3 can handle the same loads. And barrel porting has no effect on how lowd a report is, it does reduce felt recoil by a small amount (The writer of that non-sense confused barrel porting with muzzel brakes).
    handguns are a personal choice as to fit, feel, and function. most of us carry a favorite that may not be anothers choice, that doesn't make them better or worse.....just our choice.

however (warranty aside) the quality is not the same as made obvious by resale. check with the blue book, or call a dealer. in the old days i used to shoot a stevens .22 and shotgun. they worked fine and took lots of game....but compairing them to to remington-winchester they didn't "measure up". if you get in them on the cheap, you get out the same way.

if your taurus works for you, then it's perfect. don't worry about what other think.

happy trails.
    jh

Many times its not quaility but if folks collect them.Its only been a few years that Savage 99's have had a group of collectors even though they may well be the best lever gun ever made.The 99 sold cheap and even a beater 94 brought good money just because of its name.Pre 64 Winchesters bring more than their equal in Remington simply because a small group of folks say they are worth more and collect them.My specialty is shotguns and there is no way a Parker is worth four times the money of the same grade L.C. Smith but the collectors dictate the market so in the buying world it is so.

Default Taurus Tracker

I don't have the .44mag version of the tracker, but I do own the 445? 5-shot titanium .44spl snubbie. It serves me well as a truck gun; cheap enough that it won't break my heart if it gets stolen or locked in an evidence closet, it goes bang every time, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the bad guy staring down that .44 caliber hole.

That being said, I did have to have it "gunsmithed" before I could even fire it. Like the previous poster, it would not lock-up all the way when cocked, or even cycle double action once there were shells in the chamber. The advancing-lever(hand)? was contacting the rim of the shell casing, binding the action. I gave it back to my dealer to have his "gunsmith" sit on it for several weeks. After much stewing I went and picked it up and took it home. I took it apart, filed-off the excess material, deburred a couple other sharp edges, and bingo-bango, shoots like a champ now, no more notched shell-casings or binding action. I have shot many taurus guns, pt1911, judge, tracker, and I enoyed shooting all of them, but after this experience, I have sworn them off.

I just bought a 4" redhawk in .44mag, the weight difference isn't that much really, and I will be happy to have the extra weight when discharging full-house bear loads. I have read and witnessed that the five-shot tracker .44mag cannot handle the high-pressure and long-nose loads that I would personally want to carry for bear medicine. A friend had his for a year before the timing was WAY off, shaving lead, bad groups, and dangerous in a life-or-death situation. Save-up the extra couple hundred bucks, buy a used Smith, or a new Ruger, and skip the headache of warranty issues. If you do buy a Taurus, get it from a dealer that you trust will take care of you and your gun.

Best of luck!

Default Warranty

With all these problems with a Taurus, why not send it in under warranty? They'll fix it or replace it FOREVER. If I had a tracker that was shaving lead amongst other problems it would be going back to get fixed.

Default Why?

It did get returned on warranty and fixed within a month, he then sold it and replaced it with a used 629 which has digested many heavy loads without a hiccup. Why did he replace it? He didn't trust that the Tracker would hold-up, and didn't want to deal with sending in another broken gun.

I am not saying all Taurus guns are bad, just that their quality control department needs an overhaul. After repair, my 5-shot .44spl has been a good gun, I don't shoot heavy loads in it, and I trust it. Will I buy another Taurus? No.

Thats fine Jay. I was just making clear that Taurus should and would fix the guns that have problems. I know some people who don't send guns in for warranty work even if they could, I am always confused by this, what good is a warranty if you don't use it when needed. I can understand not trusting a Taurus if you have a bad experience. Just figured you would get it fixed then sell it for something else, which sounds like what your friend did. I have had no problems with my Taurus, and hopefully I don't. But I understand your position totally.

schmidty

Thanks Schmidty,
    I didn't mean to get defensive but I get fired-up sometimes. I love the idea of an affordable 5-shot .44 for ease of carry. I am just dissapointed with the Q.C. at Taurus, I agree they have a great warranty program, one of the best. The whole experience just put a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe too reactionary on my part, but like you said, some guys hate having to send in guns for warranty work, and I'm one of them. Done it too many times I guess.

I had a Wilson CQB Compact during the same time-frame that had to be returned twice for warranty work, that REALLY made me mad. How can you charge **** near 2K for a pistol when the guys testing it don't notice that the tritium insert on the front sight is cracked and broken, and the "fixed" rear-sight drifts around in the dovetail with every shot? It is gone now, replaced with a Glock or two, more proof that price doesn't necessarily make a difference in initial quality.

Bottom line, when I buy a new gun I expect it to function flawlessly the first time, not after a trip or two back to the manufacturer. Obviously quality it is hit and miss out there, regardless of price, but I have never had a a Ruger or a Smith that had to go back, yet.

Best of luck to all!