Thread: 9.3 X 62 favorite loads

Default 9.3 X 62 favorite loads

I have purchased a CZ 550 American in 9.3 X 62 and was wondering what pet loads some of you guys might have for this excellent cartridge. I was thinking of staying with the light to medium bullets such as the 250 gr. Barnes and the 270 gr.Speer. Thanks

Default 9.3 X 62 loads

Mauserboy,

Congrats on a fine rifle.

First, if you haven't already done so buy a hundred Lapua cases. That is as good as it gets. I bought 400 Norma 232 grain Vulcan bullets a while back for about $20 a hundred delivered so I use those a lot. They are an awesome deer/caribou load.

Case: Lapua (all)
    Primer: Fed 210 (all)
    Bullet: Norma 232 grain Vulcan
    Powder: H4895 56.0 grains Velocity2606 fps
    57.0 grains Velocity 2663 fps
    58.0 grains Velocity 2717 fps (max load)

Powder: RL-15 58.0 grains Velocity 2586 fps
    60.0 grains Velocity 2698 fps

Bullet: Speer 270 grain semispitzer
    Powder: RL-15 56.0 grains Velocity 2441 fps
    57.0 grains Velocity 2504 fps
    58.0 grains Velocity 2554 fps

Bullet: Nosler 250 grain Ballistic tip
    Powder: RL-15 58.0 grains Velocity 2588 fps

This is a few of my 9.3 X 62 Loads. These were chronographed from a Sako AV with a 23" barrel. I also had a Husqvarna with 23.6" barrel and velocity was pretty much the same. I'm still looking for that perfect FN in this caliber to match my other old 1950's FN rifles.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 9.3x62 Loads

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU GOT ONE GREAT GUN! I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING A 550FS FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF. I HAVE TONS OF CHRONOGRAPHED DATA. Re15 DEFINITELY SEEMS TO BE THE POWDER WITH THIS ROUND. IMR-3031 RUNS A DISTANT SECOND. I WILL LIST MY LOADS-NONE ARE EXCESSIVE-BUT ALL CAVEATS APPLY--WORK UP--EVERY GUN IS ITS OWN BOSS. ALSO, MINE HAS ONLY A 20.5 INCH BARREL. SIXTY TWO(62.O)GR. OF Re15 GIVES ME 2550 FPS WITH A 285 GR. BULLET FOR ABOUT 4050 FT.# OF ENERGY. THIS CALIBER SEEMS TO REALLY SHINE WITH THE 270 GR. BULLET=
    63.O GR. Re15 GIVES ME 2625 FPS FOR ABOUT 4130 Ft# ENERGY. THE 250GR BULLET WILL GIVE QUITE A BIT MORE VELOCITY, BUT I HAVE BEEN LIMITED BECAUSE ALL WE CAN FIND DOWN HERE IS THE NOSLER BALLISTIC TIP-A GREAT BULLET, BUT WAY TOO LONG FOR THIS ROUND-SEATING DEPTH
    IS WAY DEEP-CAREFUL WITH PRESSURE. I HAVE MANAGED TO SAFELY GET
    2725 FPS WITH THIS BULLET AND 64.O GRS OF Re15. SIXTY-FIVE (65.0) GR
    OF Re15 WITH THE 232 NORMA IS A GREAT DEER BUSTER @ OVER 2800 FPS.
    ENERGY FOR ALL ROUNDS RUN RIGHT AROUND THE 4000 Ft.# MARK.
    OPINIONS ARE EVERYWHERE, BUT THE 270 GR. BULLET IS MUCH FLATTER SHOOTING THAN THE 285 GR. AND PENETRATION TESTS WE HAVE DONE PROVE TO OUR SATISFACTION THAT DEPTH IS THERE ALSO. THE SPEER 270 GR BULLET GETS THE NOD FOR ALL AROUND DOWN HERE-BUT THE 285 GR. WOULD BE A STOPPER UP CLOSE-ESPECIALLY THE PREVI RUSSIAN BULLET-OR THE ORYX-OR THE SWIFT. WITH THE LATTER TWO , YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. THE 300 GR. BARNES WITH THE .049 JACKET WORKS IF YOU CAN FIND ANY-BUT MOST OF MY WORK WITH THAT HAS BEEN DONE WITH THE 9.3X72B OR 8MM REM.MAG. NECKED UP TO 9.3.
    AS FOR RELOADING TECHNIQUE, I USE THE PREVI RUSSIAN BRASS FROM GRAFS IN MEXICO,MO. IT IS INEXPENSIVE AND GOOD BRASS. FOR EVERYDAY PLINKING I REFORM FEDERAL (F-C) BRASS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ONE TO FAIL. THE ROUND DOES NOT SEEM TO BE VERY OVERLY SENSITIVE TO PRIMER TYPE-I USE CCI-LRM. IF YOU HAVE WORRIES-I HAVE NEVER IN 40 YRS HAD A MISFIRE WITH CCI -ALL THE WAY BACK TO WHEN THEY WERE CALLED CASCADE CARTRIDGE CO.-USE WHATEVER YOU PREFER-IT WILL GO BANG! AND THINGS WILL PERISH! IF THERE IS SUCH A THING AS INHERENT ACCURACY THESE GUNS HAVE ENOUGH QUALITY TO HARBOR IT. ALL THE GROUPS I HAVE LISTED WILL HANG RIGHT AT A MINUTE OF ACCURACY AT 100 METERS IF THE SHOOTER DOES HIS PART. IT IS A MAN OF A GUN , BUT EASILY MASTERED, AND SEVERELY UNDERATED AND OVERLOOKED IN THIS COUNTRY. BUT ASK THE GERMANS, PRIOR TO THE GREAT SLAUGHTER OF WWII, THEY CONQUERED MUCH OF CENTRAL AFRICA WITH THIS ROUND-WITH
    THE 285 LOADED AROUND 2250-2350. ENJOY, EVERYONE DESERVES TO TREAT HIMSELF TO A CZ IN THIS CALIBER. BOB

I found the speer 270gr bullet to be very accurate but also a little too soft for big game hunting. I shot a moose in the neck with one and it didn't exit. There was a lot of pieces of bullet in the neck area showing the bullet really came apart. This was at 15 yards.

I have settled on to the 286gr Nosler Partition for all of my hunting with the 9.3 anymore. I have thought about checking out the barnes TSX options but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

I load the 286 partition to just over 2400fps using Re15 and H4350.

Default 9.3X62 loads

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your excellent load information. Much food for thought. I was thinking of trying the Graf brass, so it was good to hear it is decent quality and half the price of Lapua, which is good stuff.
    I think I will find a good medium weight bullet for everything up to and including moose and save the heavier 285-286 gr. bullet for the bruins. I have read that the 270 gr. Speer might be a bit soft for the largest game. Though I have no plans or the commensurate funds for Africa, I still have the desire and you never know. I don't think I'd be undergunned for any plains game or for a buff if I get an opportunity.
    I don't believe in a "perfect" gun, but this seems to be an excellent all around cartridge/gun combination for AK. I used a .35 Whelen for many years with great success and this seems a step above that performance level. As far as accuracy goes, the test target which is shot at 50 meters was three rounds basically touching. Works for me. Thanks again.

Smile CZ550 and 9.3x62??

I've been looking for a light weight handy rifle with more punch than standard calibers. The 9.3x62 shooting 286gr at 2400fps has a lot of closeup punch but is it shootable in a light rifle? On the CZ-USA website they don't seem to list all their rifles. The CZ550FS in 9.3x62 is the Mannlicher style with a 20.5 inch barrel and weights 7.4lb. How shootable do you think this would be?

They also list the CZ550 American as having a 23.6 inch barrel and wt of 8lb. They talk about the 550Lux but don't show it that I can find.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a shootable, all-weather rifle/cartrige combination that would handle a minimum 250gr bullet at 2400fps? I'm thinking that combination is about the minimum I'd want when taking my grand kids salmon fishing in bear country. When I'm by myself I don't need a rifle but having 5-10yr olds around makes me nervous. Any suggestions welcome?

Thank you!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a shootable, all-weather rifle/cartrige combination that would handle a minimum 250gr bullet at 2400fps? I'm thinking that combination is about the minimum I'd want when taking my grand kids salmon fishing in bear country. When I'm by myself I don't need a rifle but having 5-10yr olds around makes me nervous. Any suggestions welcome?

Thank you!!
    Ruger M77 MkII SS in 350 Remington Magnum.

Default Cz ES 9.3X62

The CZ FS in 9.3X62 is definitely a shootable rifle, handle and powerful enough for protection. That being said, the 9.3X62, though there is some ammo available would not be a practical piece for someone who doesn't reload. Allen's suggestion of the Ruger in 350 Rem mag is a good one, but ammo is in limited supply with the 200gr. loading, if I am not mistaken, being the only one currently available. Another possibility is the Remington Model 7600 pump carbine in 35 Whelen. Plenty potent and an easy handling gun.

Thumbs up Thank you!

The 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, and 9.3x62 were at the top of my list. I'll check out that Ruger in 350RM. I do reload so might be interested 338/06 also. Not sure that is a factory round so probably no factory rifles.

Right now I have 7mm08, 300mag, 338WM, and 375HH as hunting rifles. All are very accurate custom arms. Am just looking for a knock around camp gun/peace maker. Would like the weight of the 7mm08, 7.5lb, with a lot more bullet. The 350RM Ruger is probably as good as it gets.

Thanks again!