Thread: Sinkers for Sockeye on the Kenai

Default Sinkers for Sockeye on the Kenai

Guys i have an egg sinker mold and can cast 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 amd one oz egg sinkers. will they work fine or is there another kind of sinker that works better? Again thanks for the help!

These made the rounds last season. Had pretty good reviews from the guys who actually used them.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30845
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Those would have been ripndrags. I used them and cleaned up!!
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Personally, I just add a split shot or two a foot or two beyond my sink-tip.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

they worked well on the guys with spinning rigs. I used them on my fly rod. My success rate was the same but my sinker loss and line breakage was cut way back. The floated over the rocks real nice
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default kg,

Depending on where you fish, those may be a little heavy IMO.
    I think rip's design is great although I haven't tried them; for me, split shot works great as the areas we fish (steep cut/gravel banks) usually don't have too many snags, and if you're patient, you can usually get free if stuck.
    Also, with my 8wt fly rod and straight mono, I can sometimes get away with 1 split shot; sometimes the sensitivity is more important to me than dredging the bottom, although in the same stretch of water, 1 to 5 split shots can be the norm. Seems the current isn't always flowing at the same rate, so split shot is simple to adjust.
    Experiment with whatever you want and find what works for you.
    Jim

On the Kenai, the current is usually running pretty good. I agree with Big Jim and others, the split show is the way to go. It is simple and commercially available at a good price. I think a bag goes for $0.99 if you get it at the right time of year. I typically use 2-4 #2 split shots. You can keep the split shot from sliding down to the hook by tieing a liter to the main line with a blood knot. This is a simple set up and has worked great for me.

Default qkayak...

Never thought about doing it that way but sounds simple and effective. Here's how a guy showed me a couple years ago (he felt sorry for me as I was catching nothing using the 'ole lead/surgical tubing setup and he was cranking 'em in fishing fairly close to me):
    Mainline to brass 3-way swivel
    Leader (for fly) to 2nd available swivel ring
    Short (3-4") of 15 lb. test off 3rd available swivel ring This one hangs down kinda perpendicular to your mainline & leader. Off this short 15 lb. test is where I clamp on my split shot. End the 15 lb. with a couple of overhand knots so the shot doesn't slide off the line. I think this presents the fly a little off the bottom and I have to say our hookup rate has gone thru the roof since switching to this method over the other ways of using lead/sinkers. Last year the water clarity was really great above the lower Killey and we watched LOADS of fish going by and they were not typically scraping the bottom; overall they seemed to be about 6" or so or even higher in the water. Was actually horrible seeing the fish go by as we actually caught WAY less by seeing them! You get into all kinds of crazy, un-usual methods to try to "sight" fish them. Pretty funny, we actually had to resort to looking upriver at the mountains and fishing "blind" in order to get away from quickly acquired bad habits!
    I know there's lots to be said for catching bows, steelhead, etc, but I really do love those reds! (Plus I've never caught or fished for big bows, steelhead, char, etc.!!!)
    Jim

Default I like that idea

I'm all for the split shot, as it is cheap and easy. I really like BigJim's set up with the split shot off a three way. That way when (not if) the weight hangs up, you don't automatically lose the the whole rig. I will have to add that to my set up!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.