Thread: Anyone familiar with "Climb High instep crampons"?

Default Anyone familiar with "Climb High instep crampons"?

Saw some at a reasonable (?) price ($35) & wondered if anyone had tried them. I'm not a mountaineer & have no desire to be one, just thinking about something to keep in the pack for those "uncomfortable" moments on slides spring bear hunting etc. Weight, performance, durability?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default xx

I looked at them very carefully at MEC's main store here in Vancouver and decided to go with Kahtoola alloy ones. My old Stubai steel ones are great, but, not for backpack hunting.

The instep crampons just do not have quite enough "grab" for my taste, I am no longer young and am not going to risk a fall as my legs are a bit b*ggered as it is. The Kahtoolas are just awesome and I highly recommend them.

The company i work for uses the CMI instep crampons quite often. They are extremely useful for walking across glaciers and avalanche slopes covered in slick vegetation. It is really helpful for us, as our clients generally have very little crampon experience, to have crampons that lack primary points that are often somewhat dangerous and cause "toe-pick" falls. Often those falls, expecially when on glaciers, can occur at very dangerous time. So in those respects, I think that instep crampons are excellent. On a different aspect, I was using instep crampons when down climbing vege-filled avalanche slope with a full pack (100+ lbs) and they continually clogged up with vegetation and I was unable to get the purchase I needed to stay on the slope. If it weren't for an ice axe that I could use to self-arrest during a couple falls I would have been in more trouble. So in that aspect I would say you want something more beefy (katoolas) that can give you more purchase. Or be smarter than me and make two trips of lesser weight on the tough spots. Hope this helps.

As far as durability goes, at least for the CMI insteps, straps wear and break as well as the point that has the built in hex wrench (bad design) often breaks off due to having less support. As far as straps breaking, I have used shoelaces, twine, and bailing wire to make due. As long as you bring a meager repair kit you should be fine.

I use to use these. They work okay, but they have a tendency (on my feet) to roll inward. I found I would have to stop every 20-30 minutes to *re set* them. Last year I ordered a pair of Austri 6 point crampons, http://www.ems.com/1/1/4061-austri-a...-crampons.html and I doubt if I EVER go back to the four point. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post I think. The extra two points on the heel are fantastic, especially when going downhill. Yesterday I climbed The Butte and no one had been on the West side in at least a week (except the cow and calf I got greats pics of). In the worse of the switchbacks I was able to run full force downhill with these on! Love it. Ther are plastic lateral supports fron the heel to the arch. The NEVER roll! I wear them in ice, snow, rain/mud, anytime I climb. They adjust very simply to a variety of shoes.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Stubai 6-Point, Steel, 16oz. per set. Universal fit.
    I've got miles of vertical and horizontal miles on these and they beat the heck out of my old 10-point crampons.

For what it's worth,
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Stubai 6-Point, Steel, 16oz. per set.
    I was wondering on the *fit*. These don't have the lateral stabilizers like the Alpin do...Do they stay in place, or do they roll like the four pointers? Thanks.

Roger
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger, I've been looking for the Austri since you mentioned them & nobody seems to have them.

Mark, I was looking at both the PetzlCrab 6 pt & the Stuabi 6pt when you mentioned the Stuabi (had 2 other another tabs open with them there.). If you have the miles on them I trust your judgement & will probably go that way. Did you have some crampons in the store last time Iwas up from Kenai (It was when you were down with your grandma)? I don't get to the city often but may be up there after the 1st.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I picked the brains of many that post on this site and finally settled on the Katoolah KTS crampons. I have put some miles on them already and I am pretty impressed. They stick to my boots like glue and really make a big difference when traversing icy, frozen or wet steep ground. I don't know why I waited this long to get them.

I haven't used these particular crampons, but this design makes little sense to me. The strap-on crampons I use are military surplus ones that I bought from GI Joes. They are 3 point style that are shaped like a T, with the bottom of the T being the front of the point of the foot, and have 2 straps, one over the toe and one that wraps around the ankle. This design puts all the traction on the toe and palm of the foot, so that you can put all your weight on your crampon points, or can put all your weight on your heel and have almost no weight on the crampon points, which is what you want when walking on rocks or whatnot. If using a half crampon, it makes sense to me to have the points on the front of your foot where you can use them best.

asrjb25: I think having them on the front would be great going up hill but when I am comming down the steep veg covered slopes I turn my feet sideways so an instep style crampon would work excelent! The one thing I don't want is a crampon that makes it easier to get up than down! Do you have any pics of the surplus crampons?