Thread: ar-15 lowers

Default ar-15 lowers

I found some complete lowers in town but was not sure about the brands. They had superior and vulcan I was just wondering if anyone had any experience on the quality and fit of these. Any help would be great thanks

I dont know about superior but I do know vulcan. Those You defiantly want to stay as far as humanly possible from. They are usually out of spec and its mostly hit and miss.

If a dealer is trying to screw you with crap like this, i honestly wouldnt go there anymore.

If you are in anchorage, The guys at Alaska Tactical ought to be able to order one for ya. If you are in fbks circle j sports has my vote, and he has great prices.

A dpms or stag lower is about as cheap as i would go. Bare bones mil spec starts with these guys and works up.

Default vulcan=crap

Vulcan has changed its name 3x to cover up the ****ty weapons they have put out in the past... AKA hesse, vulcan, blackthorne. They put out some really low quality stuff just a warning.

I dont have any experience with superior or vulcan.
    My lowers are dpms, sw and olympic. All work well with no problems.
    With the ones I have the olympics have the tightest lock up and the sw has the best finnish.

Good luck on your choice.

regards,

Jim

Superior is good to go, Vulcan is not so much.

If you have a pet FFL that'll do transfers for you, you can order them direct.

I picked up 3 mil-spec lowers from Essential Arms yesterday for $100 each and they are great people to do business with too. That makes four now that I have from EA.

They also told me that they are limiting lowers to 3 per customer per week, they are backordered on all their parts and they are about 10 days behind in shipping. Seems there's been a high demand lately.

Stay away from Vulcan, Hesse and Blackthorne. They are the same junk foofed up with a different name in an effort to escape their bad reputation.
    Now what ?

I have purchased one lower, a DPMS, the fit and finish was excellent and they have a reputation for such. Olympic, Stag, Bushmaster do as well.

I purchased a trigger group kit and assembled upper from Del-Ton, great price, fit and finish was excellent and functionality was perfect. Customer service and shipping was top notch as well. Coupled with the DPMS lower I feel I got an excellent A-15 for the $. A big advantage to buying the parts and assembling them is a first hand working knowledge of assembly and function.

Very worthwhile !

Default Question

Who or what is Del-Ton?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Who or what is Del-Ton?? Thanks
    Its an ar kit company. They also sell all sorts of parts and gizmos for the rifles. I consider them to be like the bushmaster of kit guns. If you want a rifle set up a certain way, they can do it. Heck, they even indexed my flash hider properly. And you dont see that in most kit guns. (i replaced it with a better one once i could afford a new hider but still lol)

they are at about a 2-3 month backorder right now, but you cant get a better rifle for the price. All in all, including custom stuff, my m4gery cost 733 shipped to my door ups. Another 130 for a stipped lower and i had a complete rifle easy as pie.

Default delton

the main reason why delton is known for its kits is that they are super cheap in price but not quality.

they sell complete rifles but most people have configurations for their AR that they want to customize and delton offers all the accessories for REALLY REALLY GREAT PRICES for upgrades on their kits.

I built mine with a quad rail YHM, chrome lined barrel, YHM flip front sight, RRA 2 stage national match trigger, badger tac latch for under 800. there isnt any other company that can offer that period.

NEVERMIND
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Colt, Noveske, LMT, CMMG, S&W, Armalite, and Sabre Defense (some better than others) are the major names I would go with for a quality M4gery. DPMS and Bushmaster are behind those, then countless no-name ARs which leave something to be desired in features and spec. Even most of those are fine if your life doesn't depend on your rifle in adverse conditions. My information says that DPMS doesn't even have spec 5.56 chambers!

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Colt, Noveske, LMT, CMMG, S&W, Armalite, and Sabre Defense (some better than others) are the major names I would go with for a quality M4gery. DPMS and Bushmaster are behind those, then countless no-name ARs which leave something to be desired in features and spec. Even most of those are fine if your life doesn't depend on your rifle in adverse conditions. My information says that DPMS doesn't even have spec 5.56 chambers!
    Can you post where you got your information?

I was under the impression that CM&T, LMT, and LAR make all the receivers you listed. Is this correct info:

Lewis Machine & Tool

* LMT
    * Lauer
    * DS Arms
    * PWA
    * Eagle
    * Armalite
    * Knights Armament
    * Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

* Stag
    * Rock River Arms
    * High Standard
    * Noveske
    * Century (New)
    * Global Tactical
    * CLE
    * S&W
    * MGI
    * Wilson Tactical
    * Grenadier Precision
    * Colt

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
    * Bushmaster
    * Ameetec
    * DPMS
    * CMMG
    * Double Star
    * Fulton Armory
    * Spike's Tactical

JVP

* Double Star
    * LRB
    * Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

* Mega
    * GSE
    * Dalphon
    * POF
    * Alexander Arms

Olympic

* Olympic
    * SGW
    * Tromix
    * Palmetto
    * Dalphon
    * Frankford
    * Century (Old)

Sun Devil

* Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

* Superior Arms
    * Lauer (New)

Default stay away from Olympic

I've built on lowers from Olympic, DPMS, Doublestar, Rock River, Colt, Wilson Tactical and Stag Arms. Stay away from Olympic Arms. They have trouble with quality control. My last build with their products was a disaster. The lower had thin finish on one side, the pivot pin hole was out of specs (too large) the bolt catch plunger hole needed reaming to allow the plunger to fit, the upper take down pin hole wouldn't mate with the lower and the barrel assembly came with a barrel nut without threads. I called them and their response was for me to ship the parts prepaid to them and if they found them to be defective they would replace them. They refused to give me a return time beyod "maybe six to eight weeks". When I complained they suggested I buy a manufacturers license, pay the tax and but direct from the manufacturer. They even had the gaul to accept an order from a soldier for a custom pistol, take his money and give him my phone number as a contact point. They forgot to tell the guy that their bulid time was eight to ten months. He ended up deploying to the gulf without the pistol or the $1100 they charged him. I keep the unfinished upper, lower and barrell assembly framed on the wall as a reminder to never use their stuff again.