Thread: Caribou

Default Caribou

Has anybody hunted Caribou from the rivers of the Hall Road, I'm looking to take my boat and go up to try it this year (2009).

Welcome Tennman, The HAUL road can be rough on boats. Long haul up a rough road. The Sag river has limited access and water levels drops really quickly during the time most hunt. The average rig on the river is a small jon boat with 50 or less HP or airboats. With airboats being far better suited for it. Their are a few on the forum that run those rivers, However they are not for beginners IMHO. You must be 5 miles from the road to gun hunt and the river run to that point can be hard to navigate with numerous braids and gravel bars. AK Nimrod is a member here and is very knowledgeable about that area, plus he has a wicked little jet boats that really shines on the Sag and Ivishak. It is doable, there are numerous threads on the Haul road and Ivishak river check out some of them to get a better idea of what you might be getting into.

Be Safe
    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks,
    I have a 18ft jet, not sure of it's capability yet (just bought it).

I took my 18 ft. tunnel hull up there last year. We went about 3 miles and had to turn around because there wasnt enough water. The water dropped really fast from when we got there until when we left, 10 days. If you can find ak nimrods video from this year it is sweet but he doesnt have your typical boat. I ended up getting a bou from the road with my bow anyways.