Thread: Alaska Bison

Default Alaska Bison

Has anyone ever drew the Delta Bison hunt and if so, what cost are associated with the hunt and cost after a successful hunt. I have had different people tell me it's very costly, the regs do not state any additional costs other than the reg fees. Thanks

Getting to Delta
    Place to stay in Delta
    Food while in Delta
    Transportation around Delta
    Gear while hunting in Delta
    Place to process meat after harvest in Delta
    Beer and or whiskey and coffee after success in the frozen fields of Delta
    Getting back home from Delta

No other expenses as far as state fees unless a non resident.

Default Delta Buff

We did it in November and here's a ballpark ...
    $500 gas (from Anchorage and lots of driving & scouting)
    $400 lodging (5 nights at Silver Fox - essential)
    $700 processing (#400 at Alaska Sausage)
    $1,000 Taxidermy (this can vary widely)
    Also, most of the land up there is private and some of the landowners with prime grazing land charge up to $350 for a trespass fee. We found one who didn't.
    Bottom line, worth every penny.
    Mike

Another cost not mentioned above is the fee to hunt private lands. The majority of bison in Delta are killed on private land, most of which costs from $250-$350 for a successful kill.

My father, two friends, and a friend of my father all drew permits this year and successfully harvested bison. My friend got away with the cheapest harvest, paying out just over $1,000 for two trips up (the first one unsuccessful). The other three figured they were closer to the $2,000-$2,500 range. Three of the four processed their own meat, thus saving ~$500.

Do the land owners treat it like the Moose hunt - you only pay if you take an animal.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Yes it is a kill fee not a trespass fee.

I have family in delta and used airline miles to get to Fairbanks. Borrowed a truck and payed no kill fee. Processed own meat. Total cost is $200 for gas, $150 for supermarket food and restaurant food, $50 for celebration booze, and 400 give or take to get hide tanned.

Total $800ish with a hide tanned.

Default Inspired

Ok you guys inspired me......I was thinking it was out of the question but with what you've posted I think I can use my airline miles and get to FBKS and borrow a truck and head on out. Getting all that meat back to Sitka could be tricky but durring the winter it should freeze up real nice and I'll ship it back air cargo.

Count one more name in the hat from now on until I'm successful.

Don't forget about 3 grand in permit application fees before you actually get drawn!

Default Cheap on the dollar

Our first day on site (Moose hunting cow permit) we checked in w/fish and game to get the latest public/private owners map which showed which private properties were available to hunt for a “success” fee that ranged between $250 and $350. This map is well detailed showing boundary lines with contact information. I believe most limit the number of hunters on their property at any given time. I think this is a GREAT gesture by private land owners to keep lands available to hunters hunting both moose and bison that use common sense in their approach to the land owner’s permission and in hunting ethics.

I'm not sure of the draw/permit costs.

Couple hundred bucks in gas...stayed in our own towed trailer (hotels $70 bucks?) and brought food...pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Don't forget about 3 grand in permit application fees before you actually get drawn!
    You must be doing something wrong , I spent $10 applied one time and drew a permit
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

roger you did it right.... I spent 30$ on all 3 bison hunts in Alaska..... But like you, I also drew the permit on my first year. Went in Nov. for 6 days... got very unlucky.. going again in Jan.

Thumbs up buffalo hunt costs

I must have got lucky because my Delta buff hunt in '05 was pretty cheap. Gas up from the valley, 2 nights at the Silver Fox, shot the bull on state land (no fee) and drove home. Total up to that point was approx. $300.00

Now the taxidermy bill was $1200 and partial processing was around $250. I did some of the processing myself. Grand total-$1750 approx.

Ahtna indians charge around $1500 (maybe more, not sure) for just their trespass permit for the Copper River bison. Unless you have some smokin' connections over in Farewell for those bison, that hunt can get really spendy. I've heard of guys spending close to $3000 or more for Farewell and NOT get one....Ouch!

My hunt was worth every penny and I can't wait to apply again and hopefully do it again.

Default Stay out of delta

Quote Originally Posted by jrhame View Post
    has anyone ever drew the delta bison hunt and if so, what cost are associated with the hunt and cost after a successful hunt. I have had different people tell me it's very costly, the regs do not state any additional costs other than the reg fees. Thanks
    quit putting in for our bison. We cant get a tag b/c everyone in anch gets drawn.

Dirtysouth, Thats like saying stay out of New Orleans, and it got you a gray box All of my posts have been to make people aware of the hunting pressure around here and the effect's it's going to have on one of the most desiered spot's in alaska, if we don't say something now we can't get the message across. Yes I'm with you and would like to get all people involved, AC's F&G, Farmers, and all the hunters, but we have to do it in a way everybody realates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
    quit putting in for our bison. We cant get a tag b/c everyone in anch gets drawn.

I hope this was a joke. I noticed you didn't have a problem going to Afognak or asking questions for info and help on your hunt there. Surely you just forgot the smiley faces.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Don't know what all the fuss is about i have NEVER put in for bison... all i had to do was throw some over my shoulder and, carry the quarters down the stairs for the neighbor and my freezer is full of it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrhame
    has anyone ever drew the delta bison hunt and if so, what cost are associated with the hunt and cost after a successful hunt. I have had different people tell me it's very costly, the regs do not state any additional costs other than the reg fees. Thanks

OK...that does it. I'm bringing down the cameras and we'll do a two part series on Delta Bison. And I'll air it every chance I get until you say you're sorry. That should bring the heat

Default Bison Hunt

Most of the cost I have read are in line with what my cost were. I was lucky to get permission to hunt land that does not have a kill fee, so I did not have to spend the $350.
    I shot mine in Nov it was -20 deg f, so my camera person did not make it for the kill shot. I have yons of footage and I would like to close it out with a kill shot, So! If you are looking for help I would love to finish out the video.