Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deshka Landing Trails Report 12/15/08

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    142

    Default Deshka Landing Trails Report 12/15/08

    Great Weekend Here at the Landing! A little cold, but it was clear and trails were ready! Thanks to all the guys working out there to improve the conditions after the warm up last week!


    Date:

    12/15/08

    Reported By:

    Trail Boss used the User Trails Report to submit their first hand experience on the trails this weekend. They are now eligible to win a new DLOA fleece jacket!
    DLOA Office


    Temperatures:

    Lows were in the mid -20's on Friday-Sunday, Highs were around 0.
    Weather History




    Snow Depth At Landing Parking Lot:

    Almost 5" of new snow last Tuesday night and Wednesday.
    All of the parking lot has been plowed.

    Trail Conditions:

    12/15
    New signs were put up on the Kroto Slough-GCI trail on Saturday. The Jack Laub Deshka X-over is in!! It will be groomed and marked this week! Overflow has been covered by the snow, exposed overflow has frozen. Trails were well groomed for this weekend. There are still some bumps out there, but for the most part the conditions are good.

    12/12
    With the cold temperatures most of the overflow has frozen up and the new snow has covered up a lot of it. Conditions have improved in the past 2 days. The trail down to the Deshka River is in great shape, currently in the best condition of the season.

    12/11
    Larry has staked down to Scary Tree from the Landing. He has marked a route as best he can to avoid most hazards, however, this will not be the trail for the winter. When conditions improve he will be able to straighten out areas and have a smoother run. It is currently a very tough stretch if you want to pull a load due to dips, curves, and general hazards. Pulling a heavy load is not suggested until the snow gets packed down. He dragged it both ways today.

    Lodge Reports:

    Alaska Backcountry Tours-


    McDougall Lodge-

    Talvista Lodge- Snow conditions: Currently have 4 feet of packed snow

    Trails: From Skwentna to TalVista Lodge the trails have been marked, but signs have not been posted yet. Due to warm temperatures last week, our trail is icy and bumpy. Trail continues to be rough. Snow expected Monday night.

    The TalVista Lodge has food, fuel and lodging available. Please call Chris or Sarah @ the lodge for reservations 733-3066



    Other Comments:

    Gas available 24/7 with credit card
    Office Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm Saturday-Sunday



    www.deshkalanding.com
    495-3374

  2. #2

    Wink Suggestion

    [QUOTE=Deshka Landing;389513]
    has staked down to Scary Tree

    The Scary Tree got burned down a long time ago and few new riders even know where that is. Perhaps a better and more relative term might be "The Confluence of the Big Su and Yentna Rivers". This gives new readers of the Trail Reports a better understanding of locations referenced in the reports. There are a ton of locally named landmarks in the area, and the use of them might not accurately serve a new rider very well in defining trails. While they are cute and folksy, they serve little purpose in accurately pinpointing a location.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default akres

    Your information about the tree and location is incorrect .Thats why we name it Scary Tree. Its still a land mark location in the short cut. We
    never had maps just ambition!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    "The" Scary Tree fell over in a fall storm 4 or 5 years ago. It was a snarly old cottonwood that looked like it belonged in Witches Hollow. There are still a few standing snarly trees on the point but none as impressive as the original Scary Tree. It's the standard place to rendezvous with friends or stop for a break on the trail, and it's by far the biggest party spot on the river for Iditarod Sunday.

  5. #5

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by RUSTY PUPPY View Post
    Your information about the tree and location is incorrect .Thats why we name it Scary Tree. Its still a land mark location in the short cut. We
    never had maps just ambition!
    I realize the location is the short cut, but the most recognizable spot on the map is the confluence. There are still a few scary looking cottonwood trees in the spot, but not the original, Scary Tree. While I can appreciate that not all of us need maps or even trails for that matter, some do, and I think those are whom the trails committee's are attempting to cater to.

    Some know where:
    Scary Tree is.
    Big Easy is.
    VW Rock is.
    Chocalote Spring is.
    Big Bend is.
    Black Water is.
    Slime Hill is.
    Or where All the others are.
    Some don't:
    And I would think that trail reports could be improved upon, if readers could better identify with locations by looking at a map or their gps's.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I realize the location is the short cut, but the most recognizable spot on the map is the confluence.

    Some know where:
    Scary Tree is.
    Big Easy is.
    VW Rock is.
    Chocalote Spring is.
    Big Bend is.
    Black Water is.
    Slime Hill is.
    Or where All the others are.
    Some don't:
    And I would think that trail reports could be improved upon, if readers could better identify with locations by looking at a map or their gps's.
    Scary Tree is really not at the confluence of the Su and Yetena nor is it the "Shortcut".

    Let's not forget a few others that are not on the map>>>

    Doodad slough
    Russ's slough
    Fish Camp
    Upper 20 mile
    The Barge Route
    How many Kroto's do we have or Lake creeks, Fish Creeks, etc, etc do we have in Alaska????


    Agree that some GPS numbers would help....but GPS's are useless during white outs. I have helped many a folks find their way back to DLOA and every year the marking/signage gets better, which helps my failing memory.

    Thanks Larry, Dave, Dan and a bunch of others that escape me right now for your time given to to deveolping this trail system for our safety when the water on the Su doesn't want to freeze in good and proper.

    See you all on the River>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

  7. #7

    Default

    [QUOTE=Dupont Spinner;390436]Scary Tree is really not at the confluence of the Su and Yetena nor is it the "Shortcut".

    Let's not forget a few others that are not on the map>>>

    Doodad slough
    Russ's slough
    Fish Camp
    Upper 20 mile
    The Barge Route


    That is correct DS. But you can see both the confluence and the shortcut from there and for boating and snowmachining, I think that is close enough. But what you will not find when you get there is a Scary Tree. All remnants of it are ash, in bonfires at the checkpoint.

    Thanks for adding to the list of unknowns to most. This depicts very well the need for better descriptions on trail reports. Perhaps the use of River Miles, GPS Co-ordinates and Permanent Landmarks, like confluence's or lakes that are named on maps, would serve the public better. It was just a suggestion that I think the trail reporters should consider.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Akres,
    Thanks for pointing this out. I for one do not know the nicknames given to many of the trails out there. I have been riding out in the Susitna drainage for 15 years now and feel "dumb" when I have to call Deshka landing or you and ask where these trails are that are being reported on. In fact, the folks at Deshka landing don't even know where many of these places are that are mentioned.
    Don't get me wrong, I AM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for the groomers and thier updates. Just confused when they report using the nicknames as you stated. Thanks for bringing this up as I am sure I am not the only one out there.
    BK

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    142

    Thumbs up GPS and Report Quality

    Please keep in mind that many riders coming in, or giving reports may be those living in the bush or have been coming here for decades. The information we pass along is only as good as it gets reported to us. We will attempt to get them to submit some more detailed accounts.

    There is a chance we will have some more tools on the website in the way of GPS coordinates in the next few weeks, that is an ongoing project that we hope to get listed.

    In fact, in the pile that is my desk, I have found a map with GPS coordinates from 2000 that I have been waiting to work with to get it up on the website.

    I will discuss the map with Trail Boss tonight at the Willow Trails Committee meeting. The map is 8 years old, so I don't want to put up false information.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •