Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke trap sizes and style's

Default Duke trap sizes and style's

I'm gonna be buying about 15 assorted duke traps for trapping in Ak. Also some snares. What sizes should I get and are rubber grips ok?

Anything from wolf to lynx.

Thanks for the help in advance.

What part of Alaska? The variety of animals will dictate trap selection, of course. I have never used rubber-jawed traps, and don't know of anyone here that does.
    Here in South East, I would get a couple of #330's, maybe 1/2 dozen #1 or 1-1/2's, and the rest #120's. That would get you started. Basically no lynx here, and the wolves will require an entirely different set-up, as well as specialized transportation machinery to get you to them, with a few exceptions.

I"m only famular with 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 and that type of numbering.

I will be remote. No problem about getting into the woods.

Default Trap size all depends..

on what you want to catch.

Marten/mink-sizes 0,1, 1 1/2, 110 conibears
    Lynx-#3's and 4's.
    Fox/coyote-#2's, and 3's.
    Wolverine-#4's and 330 conibears
    Wolves-go buy some #9's. They are $100 per.

Default where?

Where are you looking at being in the state? Most of the state is remote, but different areas have different populations of fur-bearers. You really need to narrow it down for us where you are planning on being.

Way out from fairbanks area. Between tok and idarod. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    Way out from fairbanks area. Between tok and idarod. Thanks
    Do you know how many miles apart Tok and Iditarod are??? Andrew what kind of trapping, outdoor, wildlife experience do you have?

Default exactly

Fish,

I thought the same thing. Andrew, are you snow shoeing this?

You need to read about me in the outdoor cabins and remote living fourm.

What I mean is somewhere in that area I'm going to live. I know that area's bigger than arkansas.

Default okay

Well that is still a HUGE area. I am sure you are going to have to find a place that is pretty remote as there are trappers running lines throughout that whole expanse of country. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    You need to read about me in the outdoor cabins and remote living fourm.

What I mean is somewhere in that area I'm going to live. I know that area's bigger than arkansas.
    Actually no offense andrew, but i don't need to read about you, frankly i don't have time. I was just willing to help because you asked for it. The reason we can't answer what you need is because your questions are too vauge. First of all from a lynx to a wolf, lets see, what would be say is between a lynx and a wolf, a yote a wolverine? So your interested in lynx, wolves and wolverine?

THe reason we need to know WHERE you want to be is because it varies so greatly as to what you will be trapping. I would hate to tell you to get a bunch of #4's and then find out your going somwhere where there are no lynx, or the lynx population is very poor. If we tell you to buy #1's for marten and you end up in an area with no marten it would be a waste of money.

If your willing to share more about your plans here and ask more specific questions great, but telling us to go and "read about you" doesn't sit well with me. We are here, you are there. And frankly your move does not impress me and i have no desire to read about it, as I already live in the bush. How about you ask us specific questions so we can help you.

Default Echo what Fish said

Andrew,

I did bite and read through the first page and stopped reading. I don't have a problem with your dreams. Please read the book about Christopher McCandless before deciding what to do. Winters are hard. Buying 15 traps isn't going to cut the mustard for making income. I certainly hope you put much more thought into what you want to do. Living year round in AK is not an easy endeavor for anyone.

Yeah I know It's not an easy endevor. I don't plan to need a LOT of income after I pay for my land. Of course things break, winters are hard, food is scarce.

Here is my specific question.

I don't know yet where I"m planning to live. I will do the research to find what animals are there before I buy traps.

What trap sizes for, wolf, wolvorine, fox, linx, coyote, and maybe some snare sizes as well.

I still don't have a nailed place where I'm going to live yet. I plan on the trapping to be a primary substance. How many traps should I get? I'm very good at skinning and have done some trapping before. Want to live remote, not much other income. Transprotation a canoe once I get up there.

Default a few hundred

if trapping is going to be your primary source of income, you should do alot of research and pick your location wisely where there are currently no other trappers, and you should plan on buying about a hundred or more, not 15, #1 longsprings and move into an area with marten, that is the bread and butter critter.

I thought instead of trapping wolfs I could hunt them.

I'll take your advice then. Thankyou!

Default Andrew...

I am not trying to sound mean, but I really don't think you have any clue what you are getting yourself into or trying. All the things you say don't make any sense to most of us that have lived here for a long time and know the hardships that you will endure. Most of us only experience it on the weekends and you want to "live" out there hunting wolves and living off the land? What are you going to live off of in the winter? There are no vegetables growing. Trapping is going to be your substance? There are only so many animals that you trap that you will want to eat. Please read the book, "INTO THE WILD" and realize that this clown was trying it in the summer and ended up dead. Not sure how far you will row your canoe in the winter time. Just seems like your plan is faulted severely, even though I respect your desire to do this. You really need to educate yourself a great deal more. Have you ever been in -10 weather? Ever been in -20? Ever seen it drop to -70? Well I have and the colder it is, the harder it is to deal with things. Mistakes at those temperatures cost people their lives.

I kindly respect what you have to say. I think I'm way more prepared than you think. I"m not just jumping in. I plan to live a winter or two in civilization. Collect everything I need and buy land. Pay for the land while working the whole time. I will buy land only on water front in the wilderness. I do mean wilderness and I know it take many $. I will have cut my cabin logs the summer before. And I do plan to live on that plot the rest of my life. Hunt meat, buy flour and other staples. If you want to call me wacky just do that. But I know that I can do it. I know it's work and dosn't happen overnight.

Default try it

In Arkansas for a year first. If you can do it there, with NO outside help, then look at spending a few years in a city up here acclimating to the weather, before you fulfill your goal.

Default Good Luck!

Andrew,

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast