Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best metal finish for tough conditions?

Default Best metal finish for tough conditions?

I have a new project rifle that I want a dead tough finish on that can put up with Sitka rain and saltwater. My requisites for this gun are low glare, saltwater resistance, water resistance, blood resistance, etc., essentially complete environmental resistance inside and out. I have been doing a lot of looking around at different gun finishes available and have been trying to find the top of the heap. I have narrowed it down to Cera-Coat, BlackIce, Roguard, NP3 and Black-T. I know a lot of guys up here are partial to Cera-Coat and it is the most readily available but I have heard great things about Birdsong's Black-T and am leaning that way at the moment. Black-T can coat every part of the gun except the bore, even springs which is a major bonus.

What experiences have people had with these finishes? What are peoples opinions?

Sorry, no Rust-Oleum, I will leave that for the grafitti.

Default nitride

The nitride finish comes out a dull black and is the toughest finish i know of bar none if your pocketknife blade isnt nitrided you cant scratch the stuff with it. try that with one of the spray ons. its a little spendy at around 400 bucks but you said you wanted tough,this is as tough as it gets. have it done and have no worries.

Cera-Kote is the best bar none and can take a beating and not scratch up.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Roguard vs NP3

I have used both and the NP3 is the much better of the two. I have put one of my Ruger pistols (with NP3) through all of the conditions you listed for 4 years now and could not be happier.
    I was actually disapointed in the durability of the Roguard. I don't have experience with the others.

Default Finish

I have done two rifles so far with Cerakote and I am very satisfied with it. I have no experience with your other choices so my opinion is a little one sided. I do nonetheless recommend Cerakote without hesitation. Good luck.

Dude

all metal will take abuse to some extent and none are impervious to a beating ...of any kind. I still lean toward rust bluing, even though I have no experience with salt water I believe it is a top notch finish that just does not sit on the metal. Labor intensive but better when done correctly. I have only one firearm that is rust blued and it is a Rem. Model 30 Express in an old chamberin .... .30 Remington, similar to the .30-30 loadings- a smart looking little rifle.

I've personally done Durakote on 3 of my own and it will hold up but...you still need to take care of it when in the field, as in any firearm.

I now lean strongly to rust bluing and parkerizing....just my thoughts.

Hard chroming has always been an extremely durable and corrosion resistant coating if you don't mind a silver gun. The price of a good old hard chrome is less than most of the latest whiz bang hyped up coatings, and I would wager that it is much more durable than most of them as well.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I like the idea of a nitride finish, does anyone know a good outfit that might be applying it. I have not had much luck finding anyone advertising its application.

A hard chrome finish would be good if the climate was not so wet. I have seen a lot of hard chrome finishes around here that have started to bubble and flake.

I have been hearing a lot of good stuff about the ceracoat and it is about half of a nitride finish, but i did say the toughest. I am going to wrap a bit up in this project, so what is another $200?

Alaska custom firearms will send it out for a nitride finish.

Default Johson's Wax

muzzle taped and J.W. over all metal and metal to wood fit . no problem

Where did you guys get your ceracote, I know Brownells has it. Is it an ORMD can it be shipped here. I have some projects I need to refinish. Thanks In advance sorry for Hijacking the thread.

ORMD, all it takes is the hazmat fee, thats what ORMD is all about, now convincing the manf. can sometimes be a different story. Think that some ORMD products,(shells) don't even require a hazmat. Question your shipper.

Ex.: Bought a couple 20 ga. boxes of shells for my boy for goose hunting, don't think I paid hazmat, but boxes were marked ORMD.

Thanks, I placed an order with Brownells. So I guess we will see how it works out.

Marry Christmas

HOME PAGE Check out this guys work. I have had hand guns done in it and its outstanding. I left one steel mag outside for over two weeks with my sprinkler going every few days as well as the dew and no rust at all. I have it on several of my handguns and i love it. he does great work and is very reasonable!

Default Cerakote

Ive had two rifles cerakoted by Charlie santoni. Hes a member of another forum I frequent with an exellent reputation. He is a pleasure to deal with and does quality work. Only bummer is he is in California. I shipped both my rifles USPS priority annd didnt have any problems. Turnaround was very quick and his prices are very reasonable...175.00 per rifle. He will even coat scope basees, rings, swivels, studs etc...Good luck.

www.riflestockpainting.com

http://www.spradlins.net/

Had Spradlins do the TefCote to my barrelled action when I had my .25-06 built a few years ago. Very happy with it. I also have a 7x57 and a .44 revovler done with ArcticKote. The rifle's holding up great, but the .44's showing a bit of rubbing from the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    HOME PAGE Check out this guys work.

"All other languages click 2... "

Clicks you through to Rosetta stone.. priceless.

Default nitride

just had a rem ti done by alaska custom firearms....looks great

I had one of my sheep rifles nitride coated. Pretty good....but it will scratch. I don't know about trying to scratch it with a pocket knife but I do know trying not to scratch on rocks while chasing sheep will scratch thru the finish. I would just go with a good SS barrel and go hunting....no matter what you do it is going to get scratched and dinged up hunting in Alaska.

Default no on cerakote

had a rifle with that cerakote sprayed on here in town and after a couple months of in and out of the atv rifle case it started to wear off the barrel and even on the bolt handle wear it rubbed against my backpac.

go with somethin else, just my opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast